Disney Dreamlight Valley - Early Access/Game Pass

moosegrinder

The avatar designer in this is fantastic. I've never laughed so much at the options. It is proper fantastical, in a good way. My avatar doesn't look fake or unrealistic, but instead looks like a conscious choice to be unconventional.

This could be pretty huge, it is effectively currently a poor version of my time at Portia/sandrock but set in the Disney world. I'm not a massive Disney fan but even for me, the familiar characters and settings make a massive difference. I'm really enjoying it so far even if it has mostly just been busy work making everything pretty again.

The camera is just a little too far zoomed in most of the time for my liking and it desperately needs a lot of QOL improvements.

My 8 year old lad is having fun with this, 4 year old annoyed because there's so much text rather than speech, and he can't read yet.  They both immediately wanted to know where the Star Wars and Marvel content is, but I guess that'll be reserved for a) if the game is a success and b) a time when it can be monetised effectively!

This games just packed with loads of tiny annoying bugs. There's a quest that requires you to gather 20 mushrooms, but the mushrooms don't spawn on the half of the biome they come from, and you need then to finish the quest to open the other half of the biome. Absolute fucking nonsense.

HOWEVER if you get to this part and you're not getting enough mushrooms (this is a bit of a cheat so I'll spoiler it)

Spoiler

Go into Furniture mode and move the Well to the other side of the Vale. Then fast travel there. You can gather the rest of the mushrooms.

On 10/09/2022 at 10:26, moosegrinder said:

This games just packed with loads of tiny annoying bugs. There's a quest that requires you to gather 20 mushrooms, but the mushrooms don't spawn on the half of the biome they come from, and you need then to finish the quest to open the other half of the biome. Absolute fucking nonsense.

HOWEVER if you get to this part and you're not getting enough mushrooms (this is a bit of a cheat so I'll spoiler it)

Reveal hidden contents

Go into Furniture mode and move the Well to the other side of the Vale. Then fast travel there. You can gather the rest of the mushrooms.

Which quest/character is this for? I've not had the quest, but the glade where mushrooms spawn is unlocked and they're spawning in the bit I have access to. I'll keep a bunch in storage just in case anyway.

I'm having to do a fair amount of grinding to get enough wood/iron/rope for some of the quests now, but still pretty much addicted.

I'm mostly playing on PC now as it does run better than on Series X. Have had both versions lock up on the map screen though, thankfully without losing too much progress.

1 hour ago, Squigs said:

Which quest/character is this for? I've not had the quest, but the glade where mushrooms spawn is unlocked and they're spawning in the bit I have access to. I'll keep a bunch in storage just in case anyway.

For Merlin, somewhere around rank 8 he needs them for the big clumps of mushrooms.

I've had to stop, I've had it lock up too frequently and it's pissing me off. Plus there's loads of qol it needs. It's not stopped me plunging 20 hours into it this week, but I'm annoyed now.

We seem to have encountered a glitch. Anyone else had problems with

Spoiler

Remy- A Kitchen Makeover

This happens

Spoiler

I am told to visit the restaurant and allegedly he turns up outside after I leave but he's never there. I go and talk to him again & he tells me to go into the restaurant again

Feels a bit buggy on the switch, this game. Couple of crashes. Don't know if it's the same elsewhere

On 10/09/2022 at 10:26, moosegrinder said:

Reveal hidden contents

I had no problem with mushrooms, plenty my side and I had a foraging pal with me but I can’t any more bloody emeralds to drop! 

I've been playing this for nearly 30 hours now and there's certainly a lot to like about the game but there's most certainly a lot to dislike as well. 

A lot of the stuff I dislike might be sorted and ironed out before its retail release next year, like camera bugs and glitches, NPCs you hang out with that wont follow you or even stops following you without a prompt, glitchy cooking (even with a recipe activated and using the autofill ingredients, the end dish comes out as something completely different), controller input that doesn't register, game crashes and well, the list is rather long. 

When it comes to the gameplay mechanics I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind the Dream Shards nor the energy meter. The latter reminds me of free mobile games only in this game you simply have to eat something or visit your house to refill it. It doesn't add anything of value to the game, it has nothing to do with strategy, challenge or entertainment in any way you look at it. It's just an annoyance. 

As for the Dream Shards, making a rare drop a currency for finishing main quests is bad enough in itself but when the thorns they drop from only spawn a few every 24 hours it's verging on ridiculous. 

What makes the game worth playing, for me, is the very fact that it's a Disney game. I grew up with Donald Duck and Mickey, I subscribed to the weekly comic for years and watched anything Disney on telly and cinema. Playing this game, interacting with friends from my childhood with some classic Disney music playing in the background it makes for a really relaxing experience.

I honestly don't think I'd bother with the game if it didn't have the Disney theme going for it but I'm confident I'll spend a lot more time with the game in the future when new characters, quests and biomes are added. 

20 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I've been playing this for nearly 30 hours now and there's certainly a lot to like about the game but there's most certainly a lot to dislike as well. 

A lot of the stuff I dislike might be sorted and ironed out before its retail release next year, like camera bugs and glitches, NPCs you hang out with that wont follow you or even stops following you without a prompt, glitchy cooking (even with a recipe activated and using the autofill ingredients, the end dish comes out as something completely different), controller input that doesn't register, game crashes and well, the list is rather long. 

When it comes to the gameplay mechanics I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind the Dream Shards nor the energy meter. The latter reminds me of free mobile games only in this game you simply have to eat something or visit your house to refill it. It doesn't add anything of value to the game, it has nothing to do with strategy, challenge or entertainment in any way you look at it. It's just an annoyance. 

As for the Dream Shards, making a rare drop a currency for finishing main quests is bad enough in itself but when the thorns they drop from only spawn a few every 24 hours it's verging on ridiculous. 

What makes the game worth playing, for me, is the very fact that it's a Disney game. I grew up with Donald Duck and Mickey, I subscribed to the weekly comic for years and watched anything Disney on telly and cinema. Playing this game, interacting with friends from my childhood with some classic Disney music playing in the background it makes for a really relaxing experience.

I honestly don't think I'd bother with the game if it didn't have the Disney theme going for it but I'm confident I'll spend a lot more time with the game in the future when new characters, quests and biomes are added. 

But are you an 8 year old child?

My kids LOVE this game. They play for thirty minutes each night before bed and it's all theyv been talking about. Taking Wall E gardening, feeding Maoe, this game isn't meant for adults at all, it's a kids heaven. 

• moosegrinder changed the title to Disney Dreamlight Valley - Early Access/Game Pass
  • 1 month later...