The Little Mermaid - Disney Live Action Remake

JohnC

The latest in a long line of remaking everything except the racist one which shall be forgotten. Stars Halle Bailey as Ariel and Melissa McCarthy as Ursula. Others include Javier Bardem as King Triton, Daveed Diggs as Sebastian, Jacob Tremblay as Flounder and Awkafina as Scuttle. Directed by Rob Marshall.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the reason Disney is doing all these live action remakes is basically because animation studios actually have decent union representation, so this is the most effective way to effectively union bust while making "new" stuff with their established brands.

The Little Mermaid has a fucking bulletproof soundtrack and Halle is an incredible singer *cough* Emma Watson *cough* so it should be something to look forward to but the live action remakes have mostly been such turgid rubbish it's hard to get excited.

I'm particularly dreading seeing Melissa McCarthy do Ursula. Ursula is basically a drag queen - vampy, camp and simmering with playful disdain. Basically nothing I have ever associated with Melissa McCarthy. If Poor Unfortunate Souls dares get murdered like Be Prepared did...

13 hours ago, Majora said:

I'm particularly dreading seeing Melissa McCarthy do Ursula. Ursula is basically a drag queen - vampy, camp and simmering with playful disdain. Basically nothing I have ever associated with Melissa McCarthy. If Poor Unfortunate Souls dares get murdered like Be Prepared did...

Yeah I am dreading Melissa McCarthy to be honest.

However I am finding some of these remakes better quality the others. Stuff like Pinnachio, Lady and the tramp etc definitely seem to have lower budgets and straight to disney+ where the rest (well all from Disneys renaissance peroid) at least have higher budgets amd are generally better quality movies. Not saying better quality makes a better movie but it helps.

33 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

Yeah I am dreading Melissa McCarthy to be honest.

However I am finding some of these remakes better quality the others. Stuff like Pinnachio, Lady and the tramp etc definitely seem to have lower budgets and straight to disney+ where the rest (well all from Disneys renaissance peroid) at least have higher budgets amd are generally better quality movies. Not saying better quality makes a better movie but it helps.

Weirdly enough I've found Lady and the Tramp to be one of the better ones. I actually enjoyed it more than the original (which I never held in big regard anyway).

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Weirdly enough I've found Lady and the Tramp to be one of the better ones. I actually enjoyed it more than the original (which I never held in big regard anyway).

Ah. I haven't actually watched it, was just going by what I heard! That's good then, i keep meaning to give it a watch at some point.

14 hours ago, Benny said:

Or maybe just so they don't need to pay the original creators if it's not animation.

The reason they even exist isn't for art. It's entirely a business. This way they just profit more from the sausage.

I'm pretty sure a live action remake in 2022 is going to required a damn sight more people to make than it took the original animators 75 years ago. So if they want to save money on replay fees, doing a CGI live action remake is not it.

They are probably doing it, yes because of the money. But also because kids today don't go to the cinema to watch 75 year old animated films. So if they knock out a live action remake, they'll introduce a new generation to the IP and with any luck sell a few DVDs and soft toys. And it doesn't hurt to have a few crusty old 30 somethings moan that its not as good as the original, which drives them to Disney + and a nostalgia fest.. 

But yeah. not paying union fees, that's got nothing to do with it. 

14 hours ago, Benny said:

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the reason Disney is doing all these live action remakes is basically because animation studios actually have decent union representation, so this is the most effective way to effectively union bust while making "new" stuff with their established brands.

I find that a bit implausible, given that from everything I’ve read over the years, animation is considerably less unionised than live action productions over in the States, which animation writers getting non-existent royalties compared to their WGA counterparts.