Is anyone actually interested in cinematic trailers for videogames?

Eighthours

They can be done well, and I do enjoy watching some of them, but much in the same way I enjoy a hype promo before a sporting event that builds excitement without having any actual bearing on the following event.

When it comes to purchasing a game I'll search for gameplay videos first though.

12 hours ago, Sabreman said:

They can sometimes work on the level of a short film, be it something amusing or exciting or simply 'well done', and if it's to do with something I already like I can get a kick out of them. I always used to love Blizzard's cinematics for Diablo, Starcraft and World of Warcraft for example. 

The Old Republic trailers are fun little star wars cg shorts I guess. I like them a lot. 

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Most “cinematic trailers” are just not very competently or interestingly edited and are usually for stories that you would never actually want to sit down and watch outside of the game. Hideo Kojima does the odd well-produced cinematic teaser for a game’s first announcement but even Mr Movies generally focuses on tightly-edited gameplay demos.

I guess with Kojima you could argue that a cutscene is actually quite representative of the experience of playing the final game. 

For the most part I don't consider them useful, and most aren't all that good, but I can enjoy a well-made 'cinematic' trailer for a game that is itself cinematic, or at least heavy on the narrative. Standalone animated trailers (commonly seen for JRPGs) fit this bill as well, and can set the mood of their games in a way that in-game footage of text overloads wouldn't (though often end up being the actual intro video to the game, so I don't know if they count exactly).

Also, I have a soft spot for cinematic trailers that just wildly miss the mood of the game they're showing off; stuff like Dead Island overselling the game, or even better the Dragon Age Origins one that completely flubbing the landing thanks to music that was entirely out of place.

Generally, though, as far as narrative trailers go I much prefer those that use in-game cut-scenes rather than being crafted from whole cloth; even better if interspersed with gameplay; they tend to give a better feel for the game itself.

They can be cool, but they'll never make me go 'HELL YEAH I NEED THIS SHIT' since none of it's gameplay related. Most of the time they leave me wanting a bit of direct feed footage that lasts about five minutes without any cuts.

Yeah, the funny thing is a trailer doesn't have to show gameplay for it to sell me the game, but it has to be footage from the game; i.e. the original Shenmue trailer (that was just the attract sequence cut-scene) completely sold me on the game, even though it contained no gameplay. Because it was cut-scene as rendered in game, with animation and voice-acting that was a match for what was to come throughout the game proper, it felt representative and exciting even so.

They are advertisments. And bad ones at that (for me anyway)

No CGI trailer ever has made me think: "oh that looks good"

All they make me think is "that's not the game, show me gameplay"

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

So many naysayers in here, and I can understand why when, like the OP, it's for fucking Fall Guys or Fortnite.  But allow me to present:

jack-nicholson.gif

They can be done well. 

This is actually the perfect use case for them. The story trailer for a sequel of a game that is actually story based. This isn't designed to fool anyone about the quality of the graphics or systems in the game (given it's an in engine cut scene rather than a CG piece of shit) or even that it has a story as an element that no-one is actually going to pay any attention to.

I mean it's still shit in isolation. Without gameplay trailers at the same time I'm still rolling my eyes if this is the first and only show of a game.

One of the Assassin's Creed games was trailed heavily at the actual cinema (I forget which one but I assume it was around the time that the Fassbender film was out). The trailers were quite good fun, mainly because the 'sweeping views from a very high point' thing works well on a cinema-sized screen. Also I think they were quite short. 

Apart from that, no interest in watching non-gameplay trailers for games. 

57 minutes ago, Wiper said:

For the most part I don't consider them useful, and most aren't all that good, but I can enjoy a well-made 'cinematic' trailer for a game that is itself cinematic, or at least heavy on the narrative. Standalone animated trailers (commonly seen for JRPGs) fit this bill as well, and can set the mood of their games in a way that in-game footage of text overloads wouldn't (though often end up being the actual intro video to the game, so I don't know if they count exactly).

Also, I have a soft spot for cinematic trailers that just wildly miss the mood of the game they're showing off; stuff like Dead Island overselling the game, or even better the Dragon Age Origins one that completely flubbing the landing thanks to music that was entirely out of place.

Generally, though, as far as narrative trailers go I much prefer those that use in-game cut-scenes rather than being crafted from whole cloth; even better if interspersed with gameplay; they tend to give a better feel for the game itself.

Oh my god was that the Marilyn Manson one?

22 hours ago, Broker said:

What particularly annoys me is a cinematic trailer that looks amazing, then it cuts to gameplay at the end and it’s a Diablo clone or some other shit I won’t play. 

or the ones that are actually Diablo. Blizzard love to do an epic as fuck trailer for their little hero-quest-dungeon-miniature-men games. I like those it's like you are looking at the imagination of some dungeon master dude.

I love a good reveal teaser. get on the hype train! . This was a bloody beauty, no game play , no indication of what the game would be like. Just that it was coming.

i prefer this sort of thing over 10 mins of gameplay. I like to find that out for myself. 

16 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Other than maybe Mass Effect 2, the only other one I've ever liked was Deus Ex: Human Revolution

They've excellent music doing heavy lifting in common, though. Especially Human Rev — that theme's a banger.