Replaying the Resident Evil series

People complained that Re3 remake was too short, but Re2 can be completed quicker if you miss the optional sections out. Whilst both are amazing games in their own right, I agree with everything you said above and that's why I prefer the remake of 3.  I love the sound of Mr X in Resi2Remake, the use of rear speakers is a real demo piece.  There's a really interesting series of videos on the remakes and one goes into what Mr X is doing when he's not on screen.  

I'm interested to read what you'll think of R3 remake.

Resident evil 3 : Nemesis (1999, Gamecube version 2003)

I think that this is the last of the traditional Resident Evil games that I played. I must have bought it on the Gamecube some time after five came out. I had almost no memories of it. Was there a clock tower, and a streetcar? And red frog hunters in the zoo or something? Being that unmemorable can't be a good thing. But on the positive side, I do get to experience this game pretty much as if it's the first time!

This is an action game! You can tell because Jill explodes out of a building to start the game. She has her jumper tied around her waist, which is what I used to do when I was at school and I got too hot running around at playtime.

And there are new controls! This game introduces the quick-turn, and also the dodge. The game tells me that I can dodge by holding the attack stance button(R) and pressing the action/attack button (A). But hang on, isn't that exactly the same button combination as attacking? Yes it is! So how does that work? Basically, it doesn't. Sometimes I can dodge. More often I try to dodge and nothing happens. Or I dodge when I don't want to. Once I was trying to shoot some enemies with my grenade launcher, but instead of firing I leapt from side to side over and over again until somebody cut my head off.

I struggle a lot with the controls. As well as the dodge I have a lot of trouble hitting the explosives scattered about the place, I seem to have to hit one specific invisible indefinable place.

This has been the game where I'm most confused by the camera angles. Sometimes they're dreadful because I can't see or hit an enemy, and this was a particular problem in boss battles. Sometimes they're bad because the perspective switches around and I appear to be going in circles when I'm not. I also got stuck on scenery quite a lot.

The setting is pretty cool but it doesn't really work. The city streets look great and are an exciting idea, but the PlayStation obviously doesn't have the power for large open areas, so you end up with a lot of narrow corridors. It's very disjointed and quite linear, and the maps don't really make sense. They obviously had plenty of ideas for settings but no way to connect them, which might be why there's a graveyard in the park, and the park is next to a big ravine, or why there's a big elaborate statue in the corner of an unassuming street next to a diner.

I'm playing this on the Gamecube and I think the graphics are pretty great, it's as good as this generation got to look. You see some very odd stuff though. There's a Delorean draped in the American flag. There are gravestones in the walls of back alleys. There's a lot of backwards text (in the environment) which suggests some renders were flipped, and a lot of it is nonsense. There's a statue that has backward text about dog parks. There are also some letters that don't exist in English (like Æ)

The game introduces the gunpowder system, which can clutter the inventory a little but gives you a bit of choice of which weapons to make ammo for. In my case I made far too many grenades so that I could use the grenade launcher on pretty much everything. Fun.

I got lost quite a bit on this playthrough. There were some puzzles that I simply didn't realise were puzzles, because it's not obvious what the game wants you to do. I wonder if this is because I'm just not familiar with them, and if this is what the other games are like for people who are new to them.

There were also some extremely frustrating logic puzzles. Again it's not clear what the game wants you to achieve and what is happening. For me they were maddening. They're also different each playthrough, so using a walkthrough isn't an option. Another thing that I guess encourages replay is that some areas seem to have randomised enemies too. In one area, sometimes I see zombies, sometimes dogs. One area had leeches where another time there were hunters.

There are quite a few set-pieces. Things like the bus was full of crows, the shop was full of dogs. There are also the visual novel style choices you make, which usually boils down to either a choice between two things that don't matter, or the choice between the right thing and the wrong thing.

There are some very dull supporting characters in the form of the mercenaries. Carlos, who is briefly playable, starts off South American but his accent quickly fades. There's also a couple of Russians, one of whom keeps turning Scottish.

There are a few “new” enemies. The new hunters feel like reskins. The leeches act a bit like snakes. It reminds me a bit of fan mods or expansions for PC games.

Now, Nemesis. Nemesis is important because he's in the title. He looks like crap. Like something you'd see on an awful nu metal album. He's wearing a trenchcoat like one of those kids at school who saw the Matrix and thought he could be Neo. He's more irritating than scary, the way he crops up and gets in the way, growling the same word over and over again unconvincingly. His special boss fights are just appalling. There was one where your status is set to “virus” so you can't tell when you need to heal. You can either get killed or use too many healing items. There's another battle which is very misleading. In a cutscene, Nemesis accidentally hits open a valve. This sprays acid a liquid over him, and he is hurt. This gave me the impression that I had to trick him into hitting the vales. But no, after a while I realise that I have to shoot them myself. But can I actually hit them when I try to? Nope.

I like the music, it's quite good. Except for the silly nemesis theme.

The story was easy to follow because very little happens. Jill was in raccoon city too and escapes. Umbrella sent some bad mercenaries there and they were bad except Carlos. The end.

The first time around I take forever and do terribly, limping to the ending with an E rank. I've already decided to try the game again. I want to see if I enjoy the game more being more familiar with everything, and whether taking different routes will change the story (spoiler alert: barely). I've also been keeping notes so I can run through really quickly.

So the second time I suck just as much, get killed absolutely loads and have an even more miserable time with the dreadful nemesis battles and horrible puzzles. D rank. I have a quick look at the other costumes I've unlocked (Jill's original STARS costume and some lady of leather suits). I check out the mercenaries mini-game, but it's not very exciting and I can't be bothered.

I once heard that Code Veronica was conceived as resident evil 3, and this game, the last escape game, was just a side project. It just got promoted to 3 because of an issue with Sony and a PlayStation exclusivity deal. Apparently this isn't actually true, but this is clearly a side game. Nothing happens in the story. The new enemies aren't well-designed or well considered. The new gameplay elements and setting are just totally unsuited to the game engine. It has exciting set pieces, sure, but it's confusing, awkward, annoying, and basically just doesn't work. It's like a fan mod where someone has tried to add modern elements in to an old game, but it's the wrong engine and console and can't be done.

Maybe on modern hardware the concept could work. But this stinks. It's no wonder I forgot about it. I got some enjoyment out of it, but it's by far the worst of the games I've played so far.

Yeah, it wasn't even called Resident Evil 3: Nemesis when it came out. It was just called Resident Evil: Nemesis. I think because it clearly just used the same engine and was more like an extension of 2 rather than a new game. It would be DLC these days. I also seem to remember it came out with very little hype, totally unlike Resi 2 which was hyped for ages. With Nemesis it was just like "Here's a new Resi game!". 

Mind you, CV wasn't called Resi 3 either. Or Resi 4. Funny how Nemesis got retroactively given a number but CV didn't. 

On 25/09/2022 at 14:50, dumpster said:

People complained that Re3 remake was too short, but Re2 can be completed quicker if you miss the optional sections out. Whilst both are amazing games in their own right, I agree with everything you said above and that's why I prefer the remake of 3.  I love the sound of Mr X in Resi2Remake, the use of rear speakers is a real demo piece.  There's a really interesting series of videos on the remakes and one goes into what Mr X is doing when he's not on screen.  

I'm interested to read what you'll think of R3 remake.

Awesome video! I really thought he was teleporting to cause the player maximum grief, I'm really impressed that this isn't the case! I thought some of the footsteps sounded like they were coming from the wrong place, but I never checked to see that I was in stereo and not surround mode (I play with headphones)

18 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Yeah, it wasn't even called Resident Evil 3: Nemesis when it came out. It was just called Resident Evil: Nemesis. I think because it clearly just used the same engine and was more like an extension of 2 rather than a new game. It would be DLC these days. I also seem to remember it came out with very little hype, totally unlike Resi 2 which was hyped for ages. With Nemesis it was just like "Here's a new Resi game!". 

Mind you, CV wasn't called Resi 3 either. Or Resi 4. Funny how Nemesis got retroactively given a number but CV didn't. 

I had a quick check and this doesn't seem to be true. Maybe the Mandela effect in action? Original box art in spoiler below

Spoiler

1.thumb.PNG.283f3c68b5687ed49768b59b5f2fc792.PNG

2.PNG.9b64268289afd0f88a401a1627469e79.PNG

3.thumb.PNG.5aba6512e18083606f6693c71f968f5d.PNG

On 18/09/2022 at 10:18, dumpster said:

Just to add as well, Resident Evil 4, as mentioned, is outstanding in VR. But having said that, I don't think it is the definitive version of the game, UNTIL you have played through the original.  RE4VR is incredible, my game of the year, no question, but the magic of Re4VR is that you are inside the world of that game you loved years ago. This allows you to overlook a number of issues in the VR version, the main one being that RE4 (non VR) really benefits from those tank controls.  In VR the ability to run and shoot at once is way more natural, but makes the whole game incredibly easy.

Resident Evil 4 is about running away, turning, shooting. Running back, turn, shoot.  In VR you glide around, as if on a flying carpet, facing any direction you want and moving and shooting at the same time. Bosses go down without any strategy at all, just keep shooting their backs until they fall. The gameplay of the VR/NonVR versions is very different.

Re4VR is a real landmark moment for video games.  But replacing RE4 in your playlists, (going straight to the VR version instead) means you miss out playing the best videogame ever, and therefore won't appreciate the magic of being INSIDE that same game when you play it in VR. 

This sounds a lot like the problem MGS: Twin Snakes had.

I’m gearing up to play RE4 for the first time and getting the purity of the experience has been something I’ve considered, as I will be playing on a Wii. Is it better to play on a GC pad as intended or with the Wiimote?

27 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

Awesome video! I really thought he was teleporting to cause the player maximum grief, I'm really impressed that this isn't the case! I thought some of the footsteps sounded like they were coming from the wrong place, but I never checked to see that I was in stereo and not surround mode (I play with headphones)

I had a quick check and this doesn't seem to be true. Maybe the Mandela effect in action? Original box art in spoiler below

Hide contents

1.thumb.PNG.283f3c68b5687ed49768b59b5f2fc792.PNG

2.PNG.9b64268289afd0f88a401a1627469e79.PNG

3.thumb.PNG.5aba6512e18083606f6693c71f968f5d.PNG

Hmm, memory playing tricks after 20 odd years. Some of them very odd. Not the first time that's happened. 

11 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

it was actualy know as "Biohazard 1.9 + 2.1" during development - as of course - it is an offshoot of Resident Evil 2. I'm surprised they didn't call it "Resident Evil 2 Gaiden" as that's fairly typical with "Gaiden" meaning "side-story". 

Code Veronica was intended to be the real RE sequel and they two games where co-currently in development. It was Sony that basically stipulated in their contract that they were to get an exclusive trilogy of games from Capcom, so  "Biohazard 1.9 + 2.1" was renamed to "Biohazard 3 : Nemesis" or Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, of course. 

They really should of named the other game Resident Evil 4: Code Veronica to of given the game a bit more of a legacy that it deserves. 

On 17/09/2022 at 22:02, chris on the moon said:

RESIDENT EVIL DIRECTOR'S CUT

Instead of moving on to 2, I got my PlayStation out because I'm being weird and obsessive, apparently.

To begin with I have to make the initial adjustment and accept how bad a playstation looks on an HDTV, and how the ps1 pad sort of hurts my thumbs a bit.

First we get the FMV title screen, and then the classic opening cinematic. I've seen it plenty of times and think I remember it well, but it still manages to surprise me. I love b-movie cheese and this is classic cheap trash. Why not watch it again?

Or check out the original uncensored Japanese colour version on youtube? That's a real eye opener!

I particularly like how each character is announced, like it's a fighting game. Jill wearing obviously fake clothes. Rebecca doing some sort of Japanese cute girl pose. Wesker looking a bit like a bored Andrew Eldritch.

And we get the infamous voice acting. It's been memed to death but I still manage to enjoy how perfectly dreadful it is. There's not a natural line of dialogue to be found.

When I get control of the game, I'm initially surprised how smooth and fast everything is. I always remember games from this generation being slow and clunky. Probably because they were in 50hz, and they actually were far slower than they were supposed to be. I'm playing an NTSC version now.

I'm very glad the quick aim is here. I don't feel like ammo is too limited so I have fun rushing about and blasting everything.

The graphics obviously feel a bit primitive. I can't really see much detail on the models. Here's a photo of what a conversation between Chris and Rebecca looks like on my TV

20220917_102748.thumb.jpg.cdd1fb9ff98e2bdc5fc3f3e552e3d9a1.jpg

The pre-rendered backgrounds are a bit bland. Especially since I want to compare them to the remake, to the sequels, and to other PlayStation games like the final fantasy series. It's mostly fine. The trees look quite bad. And I've never understood the texture in the caves. Are they meant to be bricks? They're a bit much. (Not my screenshots. I might have stolen one from google and the other from a youtube video)

screenshot.resident-evil-i-1996.640x480.1997-10-01_59.jpg.428a87ed5208f7565942582dae32af29.jpgcaves.PNG.199b0891c2b9cfb861ba9798a03e676f.PNG

But then I remember this game came out in 1997. Development apparently started in 1993. Yes, this looks worse than Resident evil 2 or final fantasy 7, but compared to earlier games it's fine.

I remember the loading times as being really bad on the PlayStation, but either I've got more patient or they're not that bad when you know what to expect. They do grate a bit when I forget something that's fifteen load screens each way though.

I quite like the aesthetics. The menus etc. They're very basic and pixelly, they feel like a continuation from the last generation. The menu sprites look almost 16-bit. Sort of a Snes plus plus. You can see it in the ridge racer menus too. It feels more retro.

The sound effects are a little bit off, or rather they sound very video-gamey. Blasting zombies heads off makes a funny whiff sound. Tappy-tap footsteps, strange blasty guns. The background noise of the dogs outside just sound a bit sad and hungry rather than spooky. I quite like it though. Video games nowadays tend to try so hard to sound realistic, they don't sound like video games any more.

I like the music. I think it's cool and effective, and the beginning and ending themes sound like something out of an anime. All very 90s. I can tell I'm playing the version with the original music.

As I play through the puzzles, I wonder if there are differences because I'm playing the director's cut, or whether it's different to what I expect because I've just finished the remake. After a while I decide that I'm playing the original game.

I get to the end, and crap, Barry's dead and the mansion doesn't explode. I've accidentally got a bad ending and can't go back to fix that.

So that's it, game over. I'm tempted to play Chris' story, but I decide that I've just played the same basic game about three times. If I want to see the proper ending and hear Chris say “he's sleeping with the ultimate failure”, I can probably just go on YouTube, and it doesn't really matter about the re-arranged mode – I'm definitely not playing this again.

So, I start a new playthrough as Chris, Advanced mode.

The shuffling of the items isn't as drastic as I expected, but, oh dear, this is much more challenging. It's often quite cruel and annoying really. I'm repeatedly eaten by a snake and decapitated by hunters. Oh god, the hunters. They're everywhere. There are bits where they've replaced three zombies with three hunters. If more than one gets close to me I'm finished, I have no time to raise my weapon.

Ammo and healing items feel much more scarce, especially with how many enemies are now crammed into small spaces. At one point I found 18 magnum rounds in one room and I feel joy. But they're used up in no time.

Despite the difficulty, I made it through and finished the game.

In my opinion, this game isn't really worth playing over the remake. The remake isn't like a re-imagining or a reboot. It's just similar enough to be the same game. Everything is there, but better.

But I really, really enjoyed playing this as a historical artefact. I love the simplicity, the naivety, the goofiness.

What I really like is that it captures a moment in video game history that was over so fast.

It feels to me like the game was made in an era when so much about video games hadn't been defined, where there was a lot of new power and things could have gone in a lot of different directions, and resident evil is sitting on a ledge. There was less of a set idea of what a 3d horror game was. What games looked and sounded and played like. But we know now and aren't going back.

It must have been really exciting and impressive to play at the time. It looks quite bland compared to later PlayStation titles, but this came out in 1997 after years of development. Toy story didn't come out until 1996. 3D graphics were moving so fast. The first person videos with the hunter running through the courtyard and the zombie walking through the door must have looked like the coolest thing ever to some people.

And it must have been great to experience it fresh, without any preconceptions. To explore the mansion, discover the story, and wonder about what (if anything) was coming next. What kind of series Resident Evil was going to be.

On 21/09/2022 at 18:44, chris on the moon said:

Resident Evil 2 (1998 except I'm playing the gamecube version from 2003)

It feels to me like resident evil knows where it is now. After the slightly awkward first game, 2 sets the standard of what resident evil is. For better or worse, it's this.

When I start I feel like it must be at least fifteen years since I played it, but everything feels extremely familiar. I probably played it a lot.

Live action video has gone out of fashion, so for the intro we get some great for 1998 CGI. It's decent, in that way where everyone looks like a horrible weird doll with glassy eyes and plasticky hair.

The voice acting, too, is perfectly acceptable for a late 90s video game. Leon sounds a bit whingey, but all the performances are masterful compared to those in the first game.

First thing to do is leg it through the streets, which have actual groups of zombies! More than the engine could handle in Re1. Five maybe?

Yes, everything is more. There's more ammo. More weapons. More enemies. More blasting.

It definitely feels like more of an action game and less of a creepy and atmospheric horror.

It's tense, it's bright, it's colourful, it's exciting. The graphics are way ahead of RE1. The player and enemy models are much more detailed, and the backgrounds are hugely improved. It's how I remember this kind of game looking.

You get some decent weapons pretty quickly. Then there's also that special joy in upgrading the magnum and shotgun. The loud evil crack of that super shotgun as pixel blood splatters out of a whole room full of zombies, the recoil launching you back into the previous screen.

The police station is a great location to begin in. Again there's lots of character and atmosphere in the place. The sewer, factory are less interesting, but the lab is pretty cool. The maps are tightly designed and small, but also more linear than in other games.

Most of the enemies again are really solid, and we have the introduction of the classic lickers.

I feel like some of the bosses kind of suck though. The elevator one in particular is a pain in the ass since I can't see where it is or where I am. Mr. X is creepy in the way that he makes surprise entrances through walls and shut doors, but he isn't as much of a constant problem as he may be in...certain other games.

Moreso than resi1 I get annoyed with the camera angles. I can't see enemies and am getting jumped by stuff from off screen. There's also one room where you are beset by roaches. They annoy you and freeze your character and there's nothing you can do about it. I don't understand from a gameplay perspective why it's there.

The story basically makes sense. It's fine. A little bit stupid maybe, but that's 1998 Japanese sci-fi action horror video games for you.

This time I play Claire A Leon B. I like the way things work out this way around. For years I didn't realise you could do this. I thought it was always Leon A, Claire B. Probably because the discs were unhelpfully labelled “1” and “2” when they were really just disc Leon and disc Claire.

And it's over pretty quickly! A short game with a some replay value is pretty appealing to me. I enjoyed it, but it's so familiar to me I don't feel like I can judge it. Feels like a great fun way to spend a few hours, even though I know pretty well what's coming. Gameplay wise though, the mechanics feel very well established at this point and are starting to get a bit tired.

It wouldn't be the first game I'd recommend to someone who'd never played a resident evil game. It wouldn't be the last either. Time to play something a bit more recent next.

On 25/09/2022 at 11:03, chris on the moon said:

Resident Evil 2 (2019)

I've been meaning to replay this for a while, since I got my last graphics card. I played this a lot when it came out and remembered it being brilliant. I voted it as one of my top 20 games in the rllmuk top 100.

But for some reason I've been off replaying it. Was I scared?

I watched the intro film in awe, wondering is this real, how my computer is capable of this sorcery. I've just been playing older games and have jumped a few generations. There seems to be a few more polygons on screen.

Now we can meet the main characters, and

1.jpg.2d6048a860366aca8e871c72186f1bb1.jpg

whoops, looks like I left the 1998 novelty model on. I turn it off, and now I can meet the main characters.

2.jpg.67ad283956a82f06b8e5967a207dc98c.jpg

Who the hell are these berks? They've had some major redesigns that I'm not that keen on. And is it just me or do loads of female player characters look like this now? It's a bit like the new “white dude with shaved head”.

4.jpg.1d2fb50561861924fe27887536c9f48d.jpg

Visually the game looks pretty incredible, but I'm also reminded of every TV drama of the last decade. “It's resident evil for the netflix generation!” I tell myself. And then I get angry because nobody is talking or dressing like I think people did in 1998. And and and don't they know USB dongles really weren't really a thing back then!?

Anyway. I start actually playing the game and oh god I'm having a horrible time. It's brutal and gory. People are dying in horrible ways and hordes of zombies are staggering inexorably toward me. They're really tough and take quite a few accurate shots to take down, and I'm struggling with the controls more than I thought I would. I can't wait to get some good weapons and start blasting them away, and making the place safe. But that doesn't happen. I'm scrabbling around barely surviving with minimal ammo, and the zombies keep coming back. To make matters worse, my character has a disappointing aversion to stomping on heads. I'm stressed, scared and feeling victimised. After a while I reflect, and decide that even though I feel like I'm doing terribly, I'm still progressing and haven't died yet. The game does a great job of making you feel like you're just barely scraping through.

You can also tell that everyone is having a shitty time because they're constantly effing and jeffing and grunting. Your character reacts to zombies a bit like a streamer or youtuber, saying things like “what's your problem!?” “Seriously?!” “Fuck you!” and then grunting a bit more.

There's a great part of the game where Claire is carrying Sherry and grunting, and Sherry is also grunting because she's having a shitty time too.

I start to wonder if the big prick with the silly hat was in both scenarios, and here he comes to wreck the day. Mr. X is a really effective, powerful, scary character. He also takes the well balanced gameplay crashes a train through it. I can't make those accurate shots to incapacitate a group of zombies if I'm running away. Nor can I take advantage of the licker's blindness, silently creeping past. I'm going to run, and they're going to slash me. I'm endlessly running around like pac man without the power pills. Sometimes I have one place I want to go and Mr. X appears right in front of it so I have to make a pointless little circuit where I get hurt and achieve nothing. There's an achievement for finishing within a certain number of steps, which just isn't going to happen. Mr.X a pain in the ass, and makes me wonder if I'm actually having fun. It's like he's telling me that I'm not allowed to play the game.

There are a few rooms that Mr. X and the other enemies won't enter, which makes the invisible walls very obvious. I find that in this type of game where things look so realistic, and everything is so consistent and smooth, the inconsistencies and bits that don't make sense stick out a lot more. I start to ask questions like “if I'm getting bitten so much, why don't I turn into a zombie?” and “what is this thing even supposed to be?” It's a useless synthesiser that turns the power back on by changing the pitch of the...electricity? It's a fun little puzzle though. Same deal with Ada's magic make-electricity-go remote.

5.jpg.74bd0a36b53fd3342e247b8cffa4844d.jpg

The environments are pretty great. The police station seems pretty faithful if you haven't just played the original RE2. It's a bit more different than the difference between 1 and its remake. The sewer and lab are massively changed, and unfortunately follow in the resident evil tradition of the first location being much more interesting than the rest.

The story is mostly in tact, though the tone of it is very different. The nastiness is ramped up. Umbrella are experimenting on orphans now which seems like a major addition.

The orphanage is playable too, there's a short stealth section where I have to hide from Mr. Walrus. I loathe stealth. Thankfully this is quite short.

3.jpg.1d14b1acc29f647e49cf8dcd2c267927.jpg

The bosses are quite difficult and annoying. You repeatedly shoot the weak points, or do something to trigger a cutscene. I guess that's normal for bosses. There are quite a few where I really can't figure out how to avoid the attacks at all, and just have to keep healing. The Birkin transformations are cool to watch this time.

I complete my first runthrough doing absolutely terribly and managing to miss out on at least 1 weapon, maybe 2. I had the key in my inventory the whole time but forgot to use it. I somehow earn 2 more achievements. I do much better with the second playthrough and more guns, but still do pretty badly. Apparently I finished the game on hardcore mode in 2019, but don't feel like another run through now.

I think there's slightly less of a difference between the A and B scenarios on this game than the original. Again it's fun to see another perspective even if the mechanics don't fit together in any way that would make sense.

I had a quick go on one of the extra game modes too, the ghost survivors. It's brutally difficult. Utterly ludicrous. I can't be bothered with the 4th survivor or the tofu survivor, so I think I'm done.

I think this is a good game. It's well-made and well-designed for the most part, and It's very compelling. But is it fun? I spent a lot of time playing it feeling horrible. I felt like I wasn't allowed to play the first half of the game because I was always running away.

Is this the same game as resident evil 2? No, it's a completely different game. But is it in the spirit of the original? Also no. Is the story and setting the same? Just about, but the tone is way off. I really missed the cheese this time around.

To me, this is the kind of remake that doesn't fully replace the original. It's just too different. Of course I'd recommend this over the original for anyone who can't cope with old games and is horrified by the idea of having to manually save using an in-game item, but resident evil 2 just isn't the same as resident evil 2. But either resident evil 2 is much better than no resident evil 2.

Next up, a resident evil game.

12 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Resident evil 3 : Nemesis (1999, Gamecube version 2003)

I think that this is the last of the traditional Resident Evil games that I played. I must have bought it on the Gamecube some time after five came out. I had almost no memories of it. Was there a clock tower, and a streetcar? And red frog hunters in the zoo or something? Being that unmemorable can't be a good thing. But on the positive side, I do get to experience this game pretty much as if it's the first time!

This is an action game! You can tell because Jill explodes out of a building to start the game. She has her jumper tied around her waist, which is what I used to do when I was at school and I got too hot running around at playtime.

And there are new controls! This game introduces the quick-turn, and also the dodge. The game tells me that I can dodge by holding the attack stance button(R) and pressing the action/attack button (A). But hang on, isn't that exactly the same button combination as attacking? Yes it is! So how does that work? Basically, it doesn't. Sometimes I can dodge. More often I try to dodge and nothing happens. Or I dodge when I don't want to. Once I was trying to shoot some enemies with my grenade launcher, but instead of firing I leapt from side to side over and over again until somebody cut my head off.

I struggle a lot with the controls. As well as the dodge I have a lot of trouble hitting the explosives scattered about the place, I seem to have to hit one specific invisible indefinable place.

This has been the game where I'm most confused by the camera angles. Sometimes they're dreadful because I can't see or hit an enemy, and this was a particular problem in boss battles. Sometimes they're bad because the perspective switches around and I appear to be going in circles when I'm not. I also got stuck on scenery quite a lot.

The setting is pretty cool but it doesn't really work. The city streets look great and are an exciting idea, but the PlayStation obviously doesn't have the power for large open areas, so you end up with a lot of narrow corridors. It's very disjointed and quite linear, and the maps don't really make sense. They obviously had plenty of ideas for settings but no way to connect them, which might be why there's a graveyard in the park, and the park is next to a big ravine, or why there's a big elaborate statue in the corner of an unassuming street next to a diner.

I'm playing this on the Gamecube and I think the graphics are pretty great, it's as good as this generation got to look. You see some very odd stuff though. There's a Delorean draped in the American flag. There are gravestones in the walls of back alleys. There's a lot of backwards text (in the environment) which suggests some renders were flipped, and a lot of it is nonsense. There's a statue that has backward text about dog parks. There are also some letters that don't exist in English (like Æ)

The game introduces the gunpowder system, which can clutter the inventory a little but gives you a bit of choice of which weapons to make ammo for. In my case I made far too many grenades so that I could use the grenade launcher on pretty much everything. Fun.

I got lost quite a bit on this playthrough. There were some puzzles that I simply didn't realise were puzzles, because it's not obvious what the game wants you to do. I wonder if this is because I'm just not familiar with them, and if this is what the other games are like for people who are new to them.

There were also some extremely frustrating logic puzzles. Again it's not clear what the game wants you to achieve and what is happening. For me they were maddening. They're also different each playthrough, so using a walkthrough isn't an option. Another thing that I guess encourages replay is that some areas seem to have randomised enemies too. In one area, sometimes I see zombies, sometimes dogs. One area had leeches where another time there were hunters.

There are quite a few set-pieces. Things like the bus was full of crows, the shop was full of dogs. There are also the visual novel style choices you make, which usually boils down to either a choice between two things that don't matter, or the choice between the right thing and the wrong thing.

There are some very dull supporting characters in the form of the mercenaries. Carlos, who is briefly playable, starts off South American but his accent quickly fades. There's also a couple of Russians, one of whom keeps turning Scottish.

There are a few “new” enemies. The new hunters feel like reskins. The leeches act a bit like snakes. It reminds me a bit of fan mods or expansions for PC games.

Now, Nemesis. Nemesis is important because he's in the title. He looks like crap. Like something you'd see on an awful nu metal album. He's wearing a trenchcoat like one of those kids at school who saw the Matrix and thought he could be Neo. He's more irritating than scary, the way he crops up and gets in the way, growling the same word over and over again unconvincingly. His special boss fights are just appalling. There was one where your status is set to “virus” so you can't tell when you need to heal. You can either get killed or use too many healing items. There's another battle which is very misleading. In a cutscene, Nemesis accidentally hits open a valve. This sprays acid a liquid over him, and he is hurt. This gave me the impression that I had to trick him into hitting the vales. But no, after a while I realise that I have to shoot them myself. But can I actually hit them when I try to? Nope.

I like the music, it's quite good. Except for the silly nemesis theme.

The story was easy to follow because very little happens. Jill was in raccoon city too and escapes. Umbrella sent some bad mercenaries there and they were bad except Carlos. The end.

The first time around I take forever and do terribly, limping to the ending with an E rank. I've already decided to try the game again. I want to see if I enjoy the game more being more familiar with everything, and whether taking different routes will change the story (spoiler alert: barely). I've also been keeping notes so I can run through really quickly.

So the second time I suck just as much, get killed absolutely loads and have an even more miserable time with the dreadful nemesis battles and horrible puzzles. D rank. I have a quick look at the other costumes I've unlocked (Jill's original STARS costume and some lady of leather suits). I check out the mercenaries mini-game, but it's not very exciting and I can't be bothered.

I once heard that Code Veronica was conceived as resident evil 3, and this game, the last escape game, was just a side project. It just got promoted to 3 because of an issue with Sony and a PlayStation exclusivity deal. Apparently this isn't actually true, but this is clearly a side game. Nothing happens in the story. The new enemies aren't well-designed or well considered. The new gameplay elements and setting are just totally unsuited to the game engine. It has exciting set pieces, sure, but it's confusing, awkward, annoying, and basically just doesn't work. It's like a fan mod where someone has tried to add modern elements in to an old game, but it's the wrong engine and console and can't be done.

Maybe on modern hardware the concept could work. But this stinks. It's no wonder I forgot about it. I got some enjoyment out of it, but it's by far the worst of the games I've played so far.

...also this is all just moaning so nah! :)

spacer.png

On 18/09/2022 at 02:18, dumpster said:

apart from comparisons with Alone in the Dark

I'm not sure you can just say "comparisons". RE has an awful lot of elements from AitD. Prerendered backgrounds with 3D characters and items. Tank controls. Item management. The way the story is told to the player using books and other documents they pick up along the way. An emphasis on problem solving and avoiding the enemy over straight combat - including strictly limited weapons and ammo. The claustrophobic mansion setting. The old-school horror atmosphere.

And so on.

There's a lot of similarities, is what I'm saying.

On 29/09/2022 at 13:30, ScouserInExile said:

I'm not sure you can just say "comparisons". RE has an awful lot of elements from AitD. Prerendered backgrounds with 3D characters and items. Tank controls. Item management. The way the story is told to the player using books and other documents they pick up along the way. An emphasis on problem solving and avoiding the enemy over straight combat - including strictly limited weapons and ammo. The claustrophobic mansion setting. The old-school horror atmosphere.

And so on.

There's a lot of similarities, is what I'm saying.

I've heard that sweet home on the nes by capcom has a lot of similarities too. I tried playing it. Turned off after about 30 seconds!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_(video_game)

Edit sweet home has probably already been mentioned.

My main memory of AITD was that the 3d rendering of the characters didn't quite match the angles of the walls and floors, which combined with lousy animation made it all look a bit off.  Resident Evil took that idea and ran with it.  Fantastic game.

Resi never actually scared me, though. Whereas I remember AITD being terrifying the first time I played it. I think the slow pace of everything (I first played it on a relatively underpowered PC and the frame rate was probably about 10fps or something) added to the creepiness. Just the slow stumbling nature of the enemies and the fact that when you tried to run away from anything it was like running through treacle!

The scariest bit by far was the ghost sitting in an armchair who didn't do anything unless you got too close to him, at which point he would turn into a bubbling mass of gas or something and kill you instantly.

Partly I guess it was just because AITD did the environment thing first, so the shock had worn off when I saw Resi a few years later. Also I think the downright silliness of Resi ("You're the master of unlocking, Jill!") Help to stop it becoming truly scary, even though it was certainly thrilling at the time. 

I played alone in the dark for the first time a few years ago, must have been about 2016. It was definitely a lot more of an adjustment to play than playing the early resident evils, but it came out in, what, 1992? The enemies freaked me out, they were pretty weird. But I found the old fashioned gameplay elements a bit of a slog. Lots of instant deaths, that sort of thing. The kind of game where you're anxious about dying because you've already played that section like ten times.

On 29/09/2022 at 09:59, Kevvy Metal said:

...also this is all just moaning so nah! :)

spacer.png

No it isn't.

23 hours ago, bplus said:

I've heard that sweet home on the nes by capcom has a lot of similarities too. I tried playing it. Turned off after about 30 seconds!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_(video_game)

Edit sweet home has probably already been mentioned.

I read Resident evil was conceived as a sequel to sweet home. It looks like an interesting concept, but not one that I'd actually want to play.

Resident Evil 3 (2020)

It's a new game that I've never played before! That's exciting!

I was pretty surprised and sceptical when this game was announced. The remake of 2 had taken many years to make, and here was the sequel coming out about a year later. And it was a remake of a poor game. I wasn't going to risk getting at full price on release, but wait until it was cheap. And I got it ridiculously cheap! Good.

So I start the game and am delighted to see live action video! Yessss! Resident evil is going back to its roots!

Then there's a brief bit of looking around Jill's apartment in a first person POV. She appears to have a stack of CDs and yet no Cd drive on which to play them. Worst game ever 0/10.

20220930182830_1.thumb.jpg.4140eac9acd54d6eec54e4850ecdf536.jpg

I take a moment to appreciate how Resident evil 7, 2, and 3 all appear to use the same engine. Seems like a good engine!

And yes, it looks gorgeous as expected. I took this screenshot and then immediately died. Uh, surely I'm not going to die from one bite for the rest of the game?

20220930183756_1.thumb.jpg.93ffce5412c5188a374ff9e1d771b82d.jpg

No, that was more like some weird QTE thing.

I take control and start exploring, and it's basically the same gameplay style as RE2. Really tough, strong, fast zombies. Great controls and interface etc. The major difference is that there is a dodge button, a bit like in the original RE3, except this time it works! I'm really pleased that this is here, I felt as though it was missing from RE2. It's a case of pressing the button at the right time to avoid or sometimes sort of parry an attack. It's pretty satisfying and reminds me of dark souls in a way. When I don't manage to dodge it feels a bit more like my fault than the fault of the engine.

Jill still won't stomp on heads though. Come on Jill. Everybody used to stomp on heads. Or kick them off. It was cool.

Nemesis is here. He's much better looking. He looks less like he's going through an embarrassing teenage phase. Now he's covered in bin bags, which is scarier. He's faster than I am, and very strong, which is pretty terrifying, but he's restricted to certain areas of the game. I like this, because the bits he's in are tense and scary but at other times I can move at my own pace and concentrate on other things.

Again, he won't go into certain areas, which is a mechanic that can be thoroughly abused. Here I am not wanting to leave the toy shop.

20221001215707_1.thumb.jpg.750b29d8249a145cb43a3a07189d86f1.jpg

The story is much improved. It actually feels like there is one! The characters are a lot more fleshed out, and feel like people. Tyrell is a nice addition.

There are very few puzzles, and they're extremely easy. I think they could have done with being a bit more challenging, but I also complained about the ones in the original RE3 being too difficult, so who knows what would satisfy me.

I like the musical callback to the original in the save rooms. That was a good tune.

There are some new enemies that actually feel like new enemies too. I made some big horrible frog friends in the sewer. There are the pale heads, a super-strong zombie that also appeared in one of RE2s super difficult DLCs. And a parasite-infected zombie reminiscent of las plagas in RE4. And hunters! I see one running across the corridor in the distance and am excited to see how these work reimagined for the new game. They're a great classic enemy. But oh god, they're much nastier! Weren't they horrible enough before?

The locations are quite different from the original RE3. Good. The hospital in particular is greatly expanded, which is great since it was so under-utilised in the first game. It's now a pretty large significant area with lots of exciting and terrifying things happening. I especially liked the bit where I could see something horrible happening through a glass window, and then realised I had to go in that room. There's also a great section where you have to defend an area against an invasion, which is quite reminiscent of RE4.

20221003201606_1.thumb.jpg.9816904f3cc7c29b642b89825f9b4765.jpg

The section in the police station is a bit longer than the one in the original RE3. In both games it felt a little bit nostalgic, but also a bit of a cheap rehash. I felt like I spent too much time in here considering I'd just done RE2. The games weren't released that far apart in either generation.

In one area of the police station, Carlos sees a door and says “Now here's a weird fuckin' door!”

Brilliant.

I realise that I've taken a first aid spray from Rebecca's bag in the S.T.A.R.S. Office in at least 4 games now.

The city is totally different to the original RE3, which is just fine by me.

This place in particular feels like it was made for me. LOL.

20220930185441_1.thumb.jpg.d76861aafb724908dcca0b1a3fff279f.jpg

The clock tower interior is gone, as is the graveyard and park, but I don't mind. I might have enjoyed being outside a bit more later on in the game.

Carlos actually feels surprisingly underpowered in this. His assault rifle doesn't have much stopping power, so while it feels good to spray things full of bullets they don't actually die very quickly, and you're still very much in danger. After one of his sections I get to sweep the area as Jill and fulfil her destiny as the master of unlocking. What her shotgun and grenade launcher do to hunters shows how weak Carlos' weapons are.

I liked the bosses (or boss. They're all nemesis). I really enjoyed the last boss. Very over the top, it made me laugh. It reminded me of some of the sillier bosses in RE4, in a good way. Very satisfying too... walked out of the room between islands of flesh floating on a sea of gore.

The game is over fairly quickly. It's short, but not outrageously short. It feels to me like a similar length to all the other classic Resident Evils. Maybe not the later ones.

After finishing I try again on hardcore. It's hard! The city section is pretty frustrating, and really made me plan and think a lot about when to fight and when to run, and I got improved and learned how not to get passed endlessly between zombies. It felt good to win and get through. The bosses are especially challenging and I was getting pretty fucked off by the time I managed to beat them. It was just about the right difficulty for me, very challenging but very definitely possible.

Once I've finished hardcore there's nothing much else to do in the game. No mini games or anything. The game did release with something called resident evil resistance, which doesn't seem like my kind of thing and reviewed very badly, so I'm not going to try it for now.

The only thing left for me to do at this point is to download a bunch of mods to unlock the game's true potential.

20221004142325_1.thumb.jpg.3bd66f02501f16005650ab712eee5394.jpg20221004143002_1.thumb.jpg.d74aff0d17632158266b36956a03621c.jpg

Great game.

Resident Evil : Code Veronica (2000)

It's my last traditional resident evil game! Only zero, which I've already played, and the outbreak games (which I'm not going to try) came out after this.

It feels quite unique, being the only classic resident evil in full 3D. There are a few gnarly angles but mostly it's underutilised and the game plays pretty much the same as the other games. What's really cool though is playing the battle game in first person mode. That's an exciting way to explore, and it reminds me a bit of RE4, maybe giving a clue as to how the series was developing.

I'm playing the Xbox 2011 Xbox 360 version. I had a quick look at which is best, and was surprised to find quite a few people consider X the inferior version. I found this comparison video online -

This version is in HD, allegedly. The menus are pretty high res, the FMV isn't. There's a lot of weird fuzziness and motion blur, particularly on the doors of all things.

To me this game looks like one of the Dreamcast games that felt sort of stuck between generations. It's a look I really love, a bit like ps1 plus plus. The textures are still really pixelated and blocky, but the polygons are a bit smoother and more solid than previous gen. The movement is still a bit wooden, there isn't that smoothness you tended to get with the Xbox and Gamecube. As much as I like the aesthetic, this game is quite dull and grey and brown, the lack of colour makes it all a bit sad and bland.

The controls on this version are different and weird. Run isn't the same button as cancel! Unfortunately this can't be changed, so I just have to get used to it.

I always felt the introduction to this game was very confusing, and didn't explain very well how we got from resident evil 2 to here. I guess it's not that complicated. Apparently they changed the intro video from the Dreamcast version, which in reflection I do remember containing some spoilers.

Claire's had a makeover, I read something about John Woo and wanting to make her look more mature and badass, but I think her new hair looks a bit sad. A bit like this - :(

clarehair1.PNG.55c213d640dec095b922cbf27c429311.PNGClarehair2PNG.PNG.bd4851015ec7e3decde731b0acad697f.PNG

One of my memories of this game is knifing fresh-out-the-ground zombies in a prison graveyard, and boy do I knife some zombies! It's a narrow claustrophobic area and I have nothing else to kill them with. Due to the horrible weapon famine I am thrilled to get a bowgun, then dismayed to find out that the arrows do nothing, and the zombies can walk around with handfuls of arrows sticking out of their face. The fiery explosive arrows though? Oh yes, they're quite fun and effective.

This is the game with the spooky blonde horror twins who are far too into each other and have their own little tune that gets played over and over again. Thematically it feels like a departure. As does the little gothic mansion they live in.

It's worth saying somewhere that I don't find this game remotely scary. I think it could have been more tense and horriffic.

This is also the game with Steve. Steve is young so the voice actor goes squeaky voice and nearly does a Cartman impression. I hate Steve. I found out they changed Steve's look between the original CV and X, to make him look less like Leonardo DiCaprio!

Capture1.thumb.PNG.10c783ac3700705fc7c3bf373cc64352.PNG

I also found this fascinating piece of concept art.

Spoiler

steave.thumb.PNG.640cfd8182856f6dbc9e9cf891137fcb.PNG

Anyway he's a whingey brat and his story is boring and I am glad that he will not be in any other games.

Claire calls someone a “cross-dressing freak”, and I wonder if this is one of the reasons why this isn't being re-made.

I find a lot of the SFX really annoying in this game – the alarms, buzzing of the aquarium etc. Maybe I've just had too many headaches lately. I like the music, it's nostalgic and derivative of the earlier games.

There are quite a few new enemies of varying quality. There are yellow sad sticky skeletons with stretchy arms. They're not scary, but they're a pain until you get some weapons with stopping power.

The bats are probably the most irritating enemies in the series so far. Well done, I hate them.

I'm not so sure about the level design for the island. I really struggled to find where anything was. There were a couple of times when I got an item and remembered the puzzle it fitted in. But where did I see that place? I couldn't find them and had to do several circuits of the whole map. I spent hours just wandering around not being able to find things that I'd previously seen. I don't know whether this is a personal problem or the map isn't well designed. I felt that the areas were a bit too thematically similar or something – eg. There are framed paintings in the villa, but also the military training facility.

On the other hand, there's a replica mansion inside the basement of an Antarctic research base. That's precisely the kind of madness I want from Resident evil. Oh, and while they're all in the Antarctic nobody wears sleeves and they still don't freeze to death.

The pacing is a bit odd, there are often a lot of cut scenes sort of clumped together.

There are some pretty long sections without access to item boxes. It's a long time before you see your first one in this game. Sometimes you go quite a while without seeing a typewriter, and the boss battles aren't well signposted, so I ended up getting killed and losing a lot of progress a few times.

There are some really, really long and slow door-opening loading screens with a heartbeat noise. I don't know whether these are to increase tension (they absolutely don't) or whether the game is just struggling to load.

There are plenty of typical resident evil baffling choices.

There's one puzzle where you pick up a valve with a square setting. You get it cut to make it octagonal. Then later you find an octagon to square adapter so you can use it on squares again. Of course you do. Brilliant.

There's also some poorly designed stuff like the boss that can only be killed with a certain item. Once you know it's there it's not too bad, but is very frustrating if you missed it.

I notice in a couple of cut scenes there's a cat thing following me. No, it's a mouse! After a bit of research I find out its name is D.I.J. And it accompanies you through the game, and has written its own diary. I love stuff like this.

Chris is here, looking weirdly Japanese, but why's he wearing a S.T.A.R.S. Uniform? Raccoon city was evaporated while he was away investigating Umbrella without RPD approval...

The story is easy enough to follow I guess, but Wesker has gone full conspiracy theory nut and is trying to appear mysterious by talking nonsense. He also enters a silly laugh contest, Check it out

Despite the pain I've had with the lost progress, getting lost, and pain in the ass enemies I notice I'm starting to really enjoy this.

But there's a bit more horrible before the game ends.

There's a nasty bit where, as Claire you have to complete a few puzzles, one of which can result in instant death. Then you have to run away from an invincible enemy who is faster than you and is guaranteed to strike you, so that you must use healing items. If you didn't bring any, or you run slightly wrong you are killed and have to restart the section – there are no save points. Once you finish this, you go back to Chris and are immediately fighting a boss battle. I didn't bring enough weapons for this first time, so I had no way of beating the boss. I have to quit and replay the whole section.

The last boss is dreadful,and there's an unskippable short cutscene before you fight it. I remember it being horrible and it is. Just garbage. Luckily I saved a pair of submachine guns so just stand there and blast it, and I make a really lucky shot with the launcher thing.

After the final boss there's a new cutscene for the X version. I thought I might have to fight an extra boss, but I just had to watch Wesker waffling on about utter crap for a while.

I feel conflicted about this game. There's some really great bits, and some absolutely appalling design decisions. I guess what the game has going for it is that it features the winning Resident evil formula. But I get the feeling they were running out ideas by now- it doesn't feel like anyone was massively inspired to do anything new. And I'm not surprised really, they made 4 games in 5 years. Plus the spinoffs.

What a crazy time for video games the late 90s and early 00s were.

I remember this game as being great but I think it's just about the only one of the classics that I haven't revisited, either by replaying the original, or through a remaster/remake. It was fun exploring a mansion again. 

Are you going to do the DLCs as well? I think one of the later Resi 4-style games has a mansion DLC doesn't it? Perhaps 5? I've never played it though. 

Been going through a Chris file on normal in Resident Evil 1 on Switch. I'm enjoying the differences to the way things plays out--makes it feel like you're not just going through the motions again as the other character. 

Resident evil 4 (2005)

Yep it's still one of the best games. I must have played this at least 10 times since it came out on the gamecube and Xbox 360. I was just going to do a quick run through of the steam version, but ended up playing the campaign on normal, operation ada, seperate ways, 5* with all characters on all stages of the mercenaries, a second campaign run on professional, and then a third play through the campaign with the infinite handcannon. It's just such a ridiculously good game.

I don't see the point in talking about it really. If you're on this forum, in this thread, you absolutely must have played RE4 by now.

So here's some screenshots of what the base game looks like on PC now.

Spoiler

20221011205706_1.thumb.jpg.2aeb64981d64c125e7b6134860adae5b.jpg20221012182307_1.thumb.jpg.b6ccc8ed16046b416390b7134e7b9fab.jpg20221013202348_1.thumb.jpg.2ff42af5de9ed93b1d61096e1ce0ddf4.jpg20221013203742_1.thumb.jpg.cf2be5df1104f51cb7870dee820193a3.jpg20221014181841_1.thumb.jpg.b10f7b7baa8b2bb37a180c2d6cd4331f.jpg20221014181924_1.thumb.jpg.a1ce9c0560321fc4384552c53ec58c73.jpg

This is the part where I was going to say "and here's how it looks with mods", and then take the piss and post a bunch of screenshots where everyone's replaced with anime characters or naked or something. But then I found out the RE4HD fan project has been completed! It's incredible and makes the game look brilliant.

Here's how the game looks with that mod

Spoiler

20221016170759_1.thumb.jpg.0918686e8e442c085775873734a7fd57.jpg20221017223448_1.thumb.jpg.7b691daf6a921e505b302b8890dfea67.jpg20221019202107_1.thumb.jpg.9d7841cfc118cd174f26c606390f87cf.jpg20221020190918_1.thumb.jpg.802be3350d7b63bba4a397f57b8e9f07.jpg20221020191801_1.thumb.jpg.d43c5479c665fd5f07c575f9b2889a76.jpg20221020222749_1.thumb.jpg.c050bdb3e0975e22ae128aff431b64e2.jpg20221021001421_1.thumb.jpg.a17c29bc0aff95fd6ba7622f05c512da.jpg

Two of my favourite 2005 rllmuk resident evil 4 memories.

The first is when I was asking who Krauser was. I'd never played RE3 or the side games, was he introduced in one of those? Nope, he's an entirely new character, he's just introduced as if anyone knows who he is.

The second is the guy who posted that the game was shit and nowhere near as fast as everyone said it was. Leon can't even run! Then someone told him to press B to run, and he had a much better time and started to enjoy the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember video on the internet wasn't nearly as good as it is now, basically you clicked on a video and had to wait for a while to watch it. So I didn't often bother to watch them. But I was excited about Resi 4 so when gameplay trailers started to become available I did watch one, and it was a clip of the boss fight in the village with the giant ogre. 

It was completely mind-blowing, looked more photo-realistic (or so I thought at the time) and dynamic than anything else I'd ever seen in a video game. 

Resident Evil : Revelations (2012/2013)

I'm doing this in story order, not release order, so apparently Revelations comes between 4 and 5.

I remembered having a great time with this on the 3DS, but I haven't played it since release.

Straight away the story is complete madness. The backstory is this. Do you remember in 2004 when they built a floating city powered by a giant sun/laser satellite? Terragrigia? Well! A terrorist organisation that we've never mentioned before let loose a bunch of hunters, and a government organisation that we've never mentioned before burned the entire city by turning the giant sun/laser satellite thing hot and then the city sank. One year later, Jill and Chris and their new partners are investigating the apparent return of the terrorist group by going to a boat and a mountain.

It's pure sci-fi madness, and is a bit different to the other resident evils.

Story and setting wise, it feels like a 3rd party side game. Gameplay wise, it feels pretty great. The controls aren't a big departure from RE4 and 5. I'm surprised at how good the graphics are on the PC version. It's not all good though, there are occasional framerate issues, and the loading is far longer than it should be on a PC with a solid state drive.

ther than Chris and Jill, there are a whole host of new original characters.

Your boss is Columbo.

20221026181811_1.thumb.jpg.d6ad4555373e7129d1536aed53591151.jpg

There's the long hair man whose face is a bit chubby.

20221031190019_1.thumb.jpg.e933c47c0136523e310a5571ac4e26aa.jpg

There's the hilarious bantz ladz.

20221027195227_1.thumb.jpg.9e75fb3dad7787fa7918cfc391c7e19e.jpg

There's the sex woman who talks about sex and wants to have sex with everyone and shows off one leg by removing one leg from her wetsuit.

20221031185715_1.thumb.jpg.a854b98436e2cd12faed8442286937a3.jpg

There's the young cadet with the scrunched up old man face and old man name, Raymond.

20221108183419_1.thumb.jpg.56f857d67b0c486e5a3c17f8b5778520.jpg

The cruise ship as a setting is very cool. It's moody and spooky, and has a real nasty atmosphere. The office building in terragrigia is less interesting. The snowy airport is OK.

The combat feels a little bit floaty in a weird way, like everything is sort of gliding around and you often don't feel like you're in the same space. It's less immersive than RE4. The enemies all melt away once defeated, which makes it obvious that you're playing a game designed for a less powerful system. The aiming is really forgiving as well unlike the newest games. In a weird way it all reminds me of Phantasy Star Online, which is a game that I loved.

You play most of the game with an AI controlled partner. Usually they shoot stuff, and can stun enemies, but they don't seem to be able to ever actually kill them. They can usually be ignored.

The enemy design is very different and is stylistically a departure from other games. They're inspired by horrible deep sea fishy things, which is a kind of horror that I think is often overlooked in the genre. Things that suck, spindly things with little legs, things that do sonar sounds, things with faces where you wouldn't expect. They're all quite weird. Sometimes that's great, sometimes it's a bit of a messy let-down.

Some of the bosses feel like a dip in quality and act a bit like bullet sponges, you don't get a great sense of the battle progressing. There's also one section that turns into an on-rails shooter. One of those classic resident evil on-rails shooters that everyone remembers and loves.

The game has “previously on resident evil” flashbacks between episodes, which is a great idea if you've just started playing after a long break, but totally unnecessary when you're having a long session and it's recapping what you just did. They're skipable.

The pacing is a bit off, it feels like I'm being rushed in quite a lot of sections. The music reflects this, it's often a bit too urgent. There's also quite a lot of backtracking and replaying the bits you've just done, which is a bit sad.

Weirdly there's a large unique room – the solarium and swimming pool – which is never entered during the story, and you're never prompted to go there. You have to deliberately go the wrong way to explore it. It seems like a shame and a waste that so many people will miss it by playing the game normally. According to the steam global achievements, about 80% of players never see it.

By the end of the game, I'm hardly engaged with the story. I've played twice in a row and I think I just about understand what happened. It amuses me that there's a twist,

Spoiler

that there was another ship. But then there's a second twist! There was another another ship. This dynamic could go on indefinitely.

There's one major boss in particular as well that I don't think was ever explained.

After finishing I was eager to try the 3ds version again. As well as wanting to check out the 3d, the graphics and controls, I'm sure there were some touch-screen puzzles and gimmicks that were removed (like the screwdriver puzzles, and a bit where you put your finger on a fingerprint reader).

But, whoops, looks like I sold it at some point. And my 3ds is half-broken. I download the demo and try that out. The controls have been adapted to the 3ds brilliantly. The graphics are amazing for the console and the 3d effect is great. Aiming is in first person, which is better suited to the portable. The framerate is a worse than on PC, but otherwise it's an excellent version. The map is much better than the 3d one on the PC version too.

I play raid mode for a bit too, I remember loving this on the 3Ds but I'm a bit less interested now. It's a kind of RPG-lite stage attack mode. Your character levels up, as do the enemies. You earn points, buy and find different guns with unique attributes. Some of the enemies have different powers eg. speedy, giant, high defence. This mode reminds me a lot more of Phantasy Star Online. On the PC it seems to be a bit more geared to playing in co-op mode. I think it's a little more appealing for quick blasts on a handheld. I get halfway through the first set of the raid levels, but I've pretty much had enough. I've played every bit of the game several times in a row now.

I like this game, but I think it was the best on the 3DS, where it was more impressive game.

On 12/11/2022 at 22:46, chris on the moon said:

I'm doing this in story order, not release order, so apparently Revelations comes between 4 and 5.

Here I've been waiting patiently for your Resi 5 write-up... because after finishing up that second playthrough of 1 with Chris, I was told in good faith to jump to five, so I've been playing it (too, I thought)! The Revelations games are on eShop as well, so I'm not going to complain about write-ups on them as you never know, I might fancy getting one or both eventually. :) 

The enemies all melt away once defeated, which makes it obvious that you're playing a game designed for a less powerful system.

Same applies to Resi 5 then. ;) It's a pretty mental game and I've been enjoying it since I got used to the controls. Honestly, the only thing I'm not loving is the stronger bullet-sponge enemies you come across. I'm at a spot with multiple chainsaw enemies and it's taking forever--I'm not sure if I should replay previous levels (surprise! this game has levels unlike Resi 1!) to get more cash and upgrade my arsenal because getting one hit killed after emptying a ton of bullets into those guys is becoming a bit of a pain, imho. 

Might not be a popular opinion but I still think that the original Resi 2 is better than the remake. There were too many changes which were for the worse and the whole scenario a & b system which was one the most unique aspects of the original was completely ruined. I’ve also grown to appreciate the original Resi 3 and enjoyed my recent playthrough much more than when it originally came out. Code Veronica is a bit of a chore and with the most annoying villain in the series. Worst game by far for me is Revelations, I thought the boat setting would be great and maybe similar to Carrier but it was truly awful, the story, voice acting, enemies and just general presentation were all just bad, it may have been a technical showpiece for the 3DS but nothing else holds up compared to the rest of the series.

What's everyone's favourite version of resident evil and in what system?

Me, I've only really played re 2 on the Dreamcast, really like it but never finished it. Also played a bit of re 1 PS4 remake of the remake it was ok ish. Didn't get along with code Veronica at all.

So for me re 2 on the dc.

I think I'm looking for a recommendation!

On 15/11/2022 at 08:04, Stevo said:

Here I've been waiting patiently for your Resi 5 write-up... because after finishing up that second playthrough of 1 with Chris, I was told in good faith to jump to five, so I've been playing it (too, I thought)! The Revelations games are on eShop as well, so I'm not going to complain about write-ups on them as you never know, I might fancy getting one or both eventually. :) 

Same applies to Resi 5 then. ;) It's a pretty mental game and I've been enjoying it since I got used to the controls. Honestly, the only thing I'm not loving is the stronger bullet-sponge enemies you come across. I'm at a spot with multiple chainsaw enemies and it's taking forever--I'm not sure if I should replay previous levels (surprise! this game has levels unlike Resi 1!) to get more cash and upgrade my arsenal because getting one hit killed after emptying a ton of bullets into those guys is becoming a bit of a pain, imho. 

I'm glad someone's getting something out of my weird writing at least! I think that I'd recommend a lot of other games before 5.

I hadn't thought about how the enemies melt in 5 (and 4) too! I think it's more sort of physics-y. The enemies get blasted and can fall over in a variety of ways, and then bubble away where they land. In Revelations they start standing, then melt in place into a pile of gore, the same way every time. A bit like PSO and the enemies that fell through the floor and melted into bloodstains.

23 hours ago, Major Britten said:

Might not be a popular opinion but I still think that the original Resi 2 is better than the remake. There were too many changes which were for the worse and the whole scenario a & b system which was one the most unique aspects of the original was completely ruined. I’ve also grown to appreciate the original Resi 3 and enjoyed my recent playthrough much more than when it originally came out. Code Veronica is a bit of a chore and with the most annoying villain in the series. Worst game by far for me is Revelations, I thought the boat setting would be great and maybe similar to Carrier but it was truly awful, the story, voice acting, enemies and just general presentation were all just bad, it may have been a technical showpiece for the 3DS but nothing else holds up compared to the rest of the series.

I can see where you're coming from on RE2! On release I absolutely loved the remake, but after a gap of a couple of years, and having just played the original I had a lot less fun. I think I might have been a bit too harsh in this thread but not all the changes were good ones.

I think revelations is weird and doesn't quite live up to some of the main entries in the series, but it's mostly fun to actually play.

11 hours ago, bplus said:

Me, I've only really played re 2 on the Dreamcast, really like it but never finished it. Also played a bit of re 1 PS4 remake of the remake it was ok ish. Didn't get along with code Veronica at all.

4. On the PC with the HD texture pack, but any version other than the PS2 one is probably fine.

Of the classic style games, RE1 2002 remake. On the PC or any modern console.

I haven't played 6, 8, or revelations 2 yet but I doubt my answer's going to change.

22 hours ago, bplus said:

Resi noob here. I've played through Resi 1 twice on Switch this year and I'm now going through 5. I'd dabbled in 1 back in the day but didn't really get it between the unintuitive controls and (what I thought were) obtuse puzzles. It all clicked for me this year. Great game.

5 is a different kettle of fish entirely. Hard to believe it's the same series. 

I'd love for them to add Resi 2 to the N64 NSO or just get 2, 3 and Code Veronica on the eShop.

11 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

I'm glad someone's getting something out of my weird writing at least! I think that I'd recommend a lot of other games before 5.

I hadn't thought about how the enemies melt in 5 (and 4) too! I think it's more sort of physics-y. The enemies get blasted and can fall over in a variety of ways, and then bubble away where they land. In Revelations they start standing, then melt in place into a pile of gore, the same way every time. A bit like PSO and the enemies that fell through the floor and melted into bloodstains.

I think there's a few getting a kick out of this thread. :)

I've noticed an enemy type that doesn't melt away in 5 and that actually freaks me out. Does that mean those guys aren't infected? It's a weird one for me to get my head around.

Made progress past where I was in the previous post. Turned out not engaging in gun to chainsaw combat worked in my favour. :D 

On 22/09/2022 at 09:57, bplus said:

What's the best version re 2 (excluding the remake) I didnt there was a GameCube version!

There's not a lot in it. Either of the PSOne versions if you have a CRT for 240p video output, or any other version for upscaled 480i. I think the 3D elements look better in 240p, but then I think the backgrounds look better in 480i.

On 15/11/2022 at 23:02, bplus said:

REmake: GCN

Resident Evil 2: PSX (for 240p)

Resident Evil 3: PSX (for 240p)

Code: VERONICA: DC (this is the only version I've played)

Zero: GCN

Resident Evil 4: GCN, I think. The Wii version controls wonderfully, too wonderfully, because it's far too easy. I also can't get it looking right on my PVM, the motion is extremely bad. It's painful to watch in motion which shouldn't be the case with a CRT. That might have something to do with me forcing PAL60 from the USB loader (Skyward Sword is the same). NTSC is lovely and smooth 30fps (30fps feels closer to 60FPS on a CRT) but then everything is red. Using component into a flat-panel provides much smoother motion, but then of course 480p upscaled up to 4K looks like utter dog shit.

I gave up half way through 5. I also gave up half way through Revelations. I've since abandoned the series.

I remembered having a great time with this on the 3DS, but I haven't played it since release.

Straight away the story is complete madness. The backstory is this. Do you remember in 2004 when they built a floating city powered by a giant sun/laser satellite? Terragrigia? Well! A terrorist organisation that we've never mentioned before let loose a bunch of hunters, and a government organisation that we've never mentioned before burned the entire city by turning the giant sun/laser satellite thing hot and then the city sank. One year later, Jill and Chris and their new partners are investigating the apparent return of the terrorist group by going to a boat and a mountain.

It's pure sci-fi madness, and is a bit different to the other resident evils.

Story and setting wise, it feels like a 3rd party side game. Gameplay wise, it feels pretty great. The controls aren't a big departure from RE4 and 5. I'm surprised at how good the graphics are on the PC version. It's not all good though, there are occasional framerate issues, and the loading is far longer than it should be on a PC with a solid state drive.

ther than Chris and Jill, there are a whole host of new original characters.

Your boss is Columbo.

20221026181811_1.thumb.jpg.d6ad4555373e7129d1536aed53591151.jpg

There's the long hair man whose face is a bit chubby.

20221031190019_1.thumb.jpg.e933c47c0136523e310a5571ac4e26aa.jpg

There's the hilarious bantz ladz.

20221027195227_1.thumb.jpg.9e75fb3dad7787fa7918cfc391c7e19e.jpg

There's the sex woman who talks about sex and wants to have sex with everyone and shows off one leg by removing one leg from her wetsuit.

20221031185715_1.thumb.jpg.a854b98436e2cd12faed8442286937a3.jpg

There's the young cadet with the scrunched up old man face and old man name, Raymond.

20221108183419_1.thumb.jpg.56f857d67b0c486e5a3c17f8b5778520.jpg

The cruise ship as a setting is very cool. It's moody and spooky, and has a real nasty atmosphere. The office building in terragrigia is less interesting. The snowy airport is OK.

The combat feels a little bit floaty in a weird way, like everything is sort of gliding around and you often don't feel like you're in the same space. It's less immersive than RE4. The enemies all melt away once defeated, which makes it obvious that you're playing a game designed for a less powerful system. The aiming is really forgiving as well unlike the newest games. In a weird way it all reminds me of Phantasy Star Online, which is a game that I loved.

You play most of the game with an AI controlled partner. Usually they shoot stuff, and can stun enemies, but they don't seem to be able to ever actually kill them. They can usually be ignored.

The enemy design is very different and is stylistically a departure from other games. They're inspired by horrible deep sea fishy things, which is a kind of horror that I think is often overlooked in the genre. Things that suck, spindly things with little legs, things that do sonar sounds, things with faces where you wouldn't expect. They're all quite weird. Sometimes that's great, sometimes it's a bit of a messy let-down.

Some of the bosses feel like a dip in quality and act a bit like bullet sponges, you don't get a great sense of the battle progressing. There's also one section that turns into an on-rails shooter. One of those classic resident evil on-rails shooters that everyone remembers and loves.

The game has “previously on resident evil” flashbacks between episodes, which is a great idea if you've just started playing after a long break, but totally unnecessary when you're having a long session and it's recapping what you just did. They're skipable.

The pacing is a bit off, it feels like I'm being rushed in quite a lot of sections. The music reflects this, it's often a bit too urgent. There's also quite a lot of backtracking and replaying the bits you've just done, which is a bit sad.

Weirdly there's a large unique room – the solarium and swimming pool – which is never entered during the story, and you're never prompted to go there. You have to deliberately go the wrong way to explore it. It seems like a shame and a waste that so many people will miss it by playing the game normally. According to the steam global achievements, about 80% of players never see it.

By the end of the game, I'm hardly engaged with the story. I've played twice in a row and I think I just about understand what happened. It amuses me that there's a twist,

Hide contents

that there was another ship. But then there's a second twist! There was another another ship. This dynamic could go on indefinitely.

There's one major boss in particular as well that I don't think was ever explained.

After finishing I was eager to try the 3ds version again. As well as wanting to check out the 3d, the graphics and controls, I'm sure there were some touch-screen puzzles and gimmicks that were removed (like the screwdriver puzzles, and a bit where you put your finger on a fingerprint reader).

But, whoops, looks like I sold it at some point. And my 3ds is half-broken. I download the demo and try that out. The controls have been adapted to the 3ds brilliantly. The graphics are amazing for the console and the 3d effect is great. Aiming is in first person, which is better suited to the portable. The framerate is a worse than on PC, but otherwise it's an excellent version. The map is much better than the 3d one on the PC version too.

I play raid mode for a bit too, I remember loving this on the 3Ds but I'm a bit less interested now. It's a kind of RPG-lite stage attack mode. Your character levels up, as do the enemies. You earn points, buy and find different guns with unique attributes. Some of the enemies have different powers eg. speedy, giant, high defence. This mode reminds me a lot more of Phantasy Star Online. On the PC it seems to be a bit more geared to playing in co-op mode. I think it's a little more appealing for quick blasts on a handheld. I get halfway through the first set of the raid levels, but I've pretty much had enough. I've played every bit of the game several times in a row now.

I like this game, but I think it was the best on the 3DS, where it was more impressive game.

What is the revelation?