Highly rated games that dated dreadfully

dumpster

On 15/09/2022 at 10:22, Rayn said:

Most 3D games from the PS1 and N64 era. Even games that were revolutionary at the time are now hard to play. 

Tomb Raider is a good example, a game that looked technically impressive when it was released but used traditional d-pad controls. Trying to play it today is nothing short of annoying. 

It was always annoying to play though. I never got far through it.

I still don't buy the ageing thing. Goldeneye is as playable to me now as it was then. It slowed down with a lot of explosions, that was my only issue. It's visually basic but if you asked me in any moment what I'd most enjoy doing right that second, 4 player basement with grenade launchers would be one of my choices. I don’t prefer any other fps in multi player to it. 

I still play N64 games regularly. I've done a few run through of Ocarina of Time on emulator and might do another. If new adventure games had dungeons that unravel as you progress with lots of puzzles I'd play them, but they don't. 

I don’t play anything on the original system though I should say. With Goldeneye though I replicate the same controls on the ps2, pad, i don’t do twin sticks. I've always loved the speed of strafing on the c buttons. 

On 15/09/2022 at 22:47, AI said:

I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

I've played 2 and 3 recently and they're still very playable. The visuals in 2 will literally make your eyes bleed and the physics can be a bit dodgy. Plus it's really unforgiving.

I think 3 still looks great and plays really well. The AI isn't the best and there's some poor design choices (I counted something like 13 button pressed to restart a race after you've finished it). But it's still loads of fun to play. I haven't played Sport or 7, but 3 remains my favourite of the series. 

I was going to write a long screed about how shit this thread was but then I got the opportunity to play this since it was released on Switch.

37594-earthworm-jim-genesis-screenshot-t

Desperately wanted to play Earthworm Jim back in 1994 (I might have even bought the Win 95 port later but it was awful to play with keys.)

It looks incredibly good. Sound wise what would have been amusing to me in my early 20's is a collection of music and sound effects that just grate on my aged ears. But this doesn't play near as well as less pretty SNES and Megadrive games because it's really hard to parse which parts of the level are level and which are just background. It's also a run and gun where you can't run AND gun. 

Highly rated everywhere back in 1994 but hasn't aged near as well as some of its contemporaries.

On 16/09/2022 at 13:58, Plissken said:

Criticising GT1 for not being as good as Forza 7 is like criticising Casablanca for not having enough CGI.

Not really. Visual fidelity has always been a key factor in racing simulations. GT1 was made to look that way because that's the best they could do at the time. There's a reason there's now seven of them, each with shinier graphics than the last, while Casablanca has been mercifully left alone.

Anyway, to add something, and as much as it pains me, I think I'd have to say the MD Shining Force games. They're almost solely responsible for getting me into turn-based tactics stuff, but playing them now after various Fire Emblems and XComs and what have you, they feel rather one-dimensional and just aren't that interesting to play.

I could probably say the same for Phantasy Star too - it's the game that got me into JRPGs, but there's a reason the re-release needed various QoL features. The combat and dungeon mapping would be hard to tolerate these days. 

On 17/09/2022 at 15:03, mushashi said:

Incorrect, played this in the last few years for the first time, still absolutely brilliant, wish more TBS games were this dated ;)

aBBvAlkI_o.jpg

Was so glad to hear it’s coming to Switch, this was one of those games that got straight 8s back in the day in the press and I wound up buying, like, Hogs of War or something instead.

I’m gonna earn myself a beating from me circa 2008, but Metal Gear Solid 4. There’s a lot of glorious systems design, top notch production values, series defining set pieces… but you can tell it had a fraught development, and they had to turn two entire Acts, 3 and 5, into more-or-less a few set pieces and bosses punctuated with a lot of cutscenes.

People who hate Metal Gear games, or Kojima games in general, have an idea of what they are, and MGS4 is the crystallisation of the idea of that idea. It’s no wonder they went off, and reinvented the whole idea of an MGS game in Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and ultimately MGSV.

Here's one, Mortal Kombat (aka MK9) from the 360 gen has aged terribly because of the character designs of the women. I don't think anyone would call Netherrealm a progressive studio (especially considering the Variety report about the studio) but they went from DoA esque characters to having women not crippled by back pain and that could feasibly have a full set of internal organs in MK X.  

On 15/09/2022 at 22:47, AI said:

I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

For what little it's worth, I got the reference. 

On 18/09/2022 at 06:40, BadgerFarmer said:

Anyway, to add something, and as much as it pains me, I think I'd have to say the MD Shining Force games. They're almost solely responsible for getting me into turn-based tactics stuff, but playing them now after various Fire Emblems and XComs and what have you, they feel rather one-dimensional and just aren't that interesting to play.

I could probably say the same for Phantasy Star too - it's the game that got me into JRPGs, but there's a reason the re-release needed various QoL features. The combat and dungeon mapping would be hard to tolerate these days. 

That's interesting, because I've been playing Shining Force 1 on the Switch VC and have been absolutely loving the simplicity of it all. SFII is one of my fav MD games but I had never played the first until it was released on Switch. No anime cutscenes, very little inventory or skill management - just a map, your squad and some baddies to out-manoeuvre.

It pains me to say but to answer the topic question, any of the N64 remasters by Nightdive. Nightdive have done some brilliant work getting the Turoks and Shadowman to the modern era, they're just pretty pump by today's standards. I remember loving Shadowman back in the day - a prototype God of War - with a huge open world to plough through and upgrades aplenty. The lack of any in-game map is the first thing that hits you, and it's pretty much downhill from there.

1 hour ago, bear said:

Here's one, Mortal Kombat (aka MK9) from the 360 gen has aged terribly because of the character designs of the women. I don't think anyone would call Netherrealm a progressive studio (especially considering the Variety report about the studio) but they went from DoA esque characters to having women not crippled by back pain and that could feasibly have a full set of internal organs in MK X.  

If anyone is in any doubt as to how bad this was in MK9, one of the female characters had a skin that was literally a single bandage that barely covered anything.

Weirdly (well, predictably really) when MK10 came out and the female characters were all in relatively practical outfits that covered them pretty much headvto toe, sections of the fanbase started calling it "burqa Kombat". For they are arseholes. 

1 hour ago, Let us measure said:

That's interesting, because I've been playing Shining Force 1 on the Switch VC and have been absolutely loving the simplicity of it all. SFII is one of my fav MD games but I had never played the first until it was released on Switch. No anime cutscenes, very little inventory or skill management - just a map, your squad and some baddies to out-manoeuvre.

To be fair, they don't really belong in an 'aged dreadfully' thread. They've just aged and been superseded, and, well, who among us hasn't?

On 18/09/2022 at 06:40, BadgerFarmer said:

I replayed the first two games last year and I think they still hold up. Like you, the second game got me into tactical RPGs (I didn't play the first game some years later via emulation). As I said in my comments in the 'What games did you complete thread', there's a beauty in their simplicity and I'm grateful they don't have all the talking and social stuff of something like Fire Emblem, which just pads things out. Mechanically I appreciate that your options are fairly simple, too, but there's something about nurturing your troops and watching someone turn into an absolute demon as they level up.

Edit: Ha, having read the rest of the comments I see that I've aped @Let us measure's comments. Great minds, huh?

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

God knows what happened there. The level design was appalling and the frame rate dropped to slide show levels regularly.

N64 Magazine also gave the game a ridiculously positive review that didn’t mention game’s the negatives. Not coincidentally, that was the point where I stopped buying and reading that particular publication.🤮

In N64 Magazine's defence they were one of – if not the only – magazines I can remember that would review their scores over time and mark them down accordingly. I'm fairly sure they downgraded both the Turok games pretty substantially when it became apparent they were absolutely terrible. It didn't even look very good. The success of that game remains a complete mystery to me.

19 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

If anyone is in any doubt as to how bad this was in MK9, one of the female characters had a skin that was literally a single bandage that barely covered anything.

Weirdly (well, predictably really) when MK10 came out and the female characters were all in relatively practical outfits that covered them pretty much headvto toe, sections of the fanbase started calling it "burqa Kombat". For they are arseholes. 

Mortal-Kombat-11-The-Game-That-Finally-S

Sonia Blade MK9 - MK 11...that is quite progressive, for a games developer. :lol:

And here's Jade...

FemaleClothingJade-1024x576.png