Suikoden I & II remasters! Out in 2023 on everything

Mr. Gerbik

Just now, Skull Commander said:

Now this interests me!! I adored the first game but never got my hands on the 2nd. I just hope it's as good as I remember. 

I replayed 1 a few years back and still as fun as ever. Can confirm. 2 is even better!

I hope these remasters do the games justice 

I'm actually playing Suikoden II at the moment and wondering why everybody raved about it (and still does). It's okay and I will see it through, but I'd be interested as to why it has th reputation it does.

I felt the same when I played the first game a couple of years ago, too. There's a some charm in the idea of collecting all the characters, but most of those available for actual fighting you will never use/are rubbish/need a lot of grinding to make worthwhile so it is a bit of a novelty. The script is awful too. 

Just now, Gabe said:

I'm actually playing Suikoden II at the moment and wondering why everybody raved about it (and still does). It's okay and I will see it through, but I'd be interested as to why it has th reputation it does.

I felt the same when I played the first game a couple of years ago, too. There's a some charm in the idea of collecting all the characters, but most of those available for actual fighting you will never use/are rubbish/need a lot of grinding to make worthwhile so it is a bit of a novelty. The script is awful too. 

You are hereby banned from this thread :quote:

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

:D

Teach me how to love it then, @Mr. Gerbik! What is so special about it?

I played them back when they were new and replay them occasionally ever since. Maybe you do need that nostalgia connection. Compared to every other JRPG of that generation, both games ooze charm and the concept of collecting all those party members and getting to know them and expanding your base made them feel so different from most JRPGs. Added a lot variety too. Just fun all-round with fun characters.

26 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yep. Played it a few years ago for the first time and wasn't too impressed either. The whole war background story was interesting, but the rest rather average.

47 minutes ago, Gabe said:

There's very little grinding. Low level characters level up super quickly. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Is my CIB copy of Suikoden 2 going to drop in price tho 😭

5 minutes ago, Benny said:

Can you hear that? That's the sound of thousands of rare game scalpers all crying out in pain.

I mean, physical copies of original stuff will still hold value.

But I don't need to buy them with a remaster, so who fucking cares about chancers on eBay

4 minutes ago, Siri said:

I mean, physical copies of original stuff will still hold value.

But I don't need to buy them with a remaster, so who fucking cares about chancers on eBay

Just to be clear I bought mine on release and have no intention of ever selling it :D It was just a joke

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I played them back when they were new and replay them occasionally ever since. Maybe you do need that nostalgia connection. Compared to every other JRPG of that generation, both games ooze charm and the concept of collecting all those party members and getting to know them and expanding your base made them feel so different from most JRPGs. Added a lot variety too. Just fun all-round with fun characters.

Yes, fleshing out your castle has some appeal, though a number of characters do absolutely nothing other than be decoration.

I actually Suikoden back in the day (and both Vandal Hearts games!) but I stopped fairly early for reasons I can't remember. 

Like I say, I will finish II and I have the PS2 games to play as well (though I gather they aren't as fondly remembered), because there is something unique about them but I suspect you are right, and the pull of nostalgia does a bit of lifting in terms of enjoying them in 2022.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just to be clear I bought mine on release and have no intention of ever selling it :D It was just a joke

Never said you was an eBay chancer, Gerbik ;) I know that from holding on onto my copy of SotN.

More availability is good, ultimately - people get to play the game legally, and publishers get some financial recompense.

Of course there's a problem if the port is shit (see 30fps Tales of Symphonia getting hawked for time immemorial), but I'd still buy a shit port if it gave me moral high ground to pirate the shit out of the better original game. But that's a personal opinion that doesn't hold water in the eyes of the law, obviously.

Spoiler

Not that they'd care about videogames in the first place unless you've created a business out of hooky shit

They’ve got a lot of work to do to make Suikoden II passable by modern standards - aside from the dodgy plot (there were some ludicrous narrative leaps that made the FFVIII kindergarten twist look pretty reasonable), there were entire dialogue exchanges that hadn’t been translated and were left with gibberish characters or stray bits of text from other parts of the game.

I got along much better with the first game, but that was hampered by having no diagonal movement at all. I’m sure they will sort this stuff… unless this is getting a similar amount of attention that the GTA remasters got.

More detailed description of the improvements:

Graphical Improvements

Pixel sprites and environment art enhanced with new screen effects including lighting, clouds, and shadow animations Flickering flames, smoldering smoke, the movement of leaves and insects, all add up to a lively in-game atmosphere!

The effects and direction have been redesigned, bringing memorable scenes back to life in more beautiful ways!

New Character Drawings

All character portraits have been updated in HD. Junko Kawano, who designed the characters for the original version of Suikoden released in 1995, has newly re-drawn all the character portraits for Suikoden I HD Remaster: Gate Rune War.

Sound Improvements

Field Sound – A large number of environmental sounds not found in the original version, such as the sound of running water in the river, wind, insects, and running footsteps, have been added. You can enjoy an immersive experience like never before!

Battle Sound – All sound effects are now in HD. In addition to the impact of the 3D effects, the realistic sound greatly enhances the dynamism of the battles!

Game System Improvements

Many new features have been added, such as dialogue log, auto-battle, double-speed battles, etc.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

They’ve got a lot of work to do to make Suikoden II passable by modern standards - aside from the dodgy plot (there were some ludicrous narrative leaps that made the FFVIII kindergarten twist look pretty reasonable), there were entire dialogue exchanges that hadn’t been translated and were left with gibberish characters or stray bits of text from other parts of the game.

I got along much better with the first game, but that was hampered by having no diagonal movement at all. I’m sure they will sort this stuff… unless this is getting a similar amount of attention that the GTA remasters got.

From what I recall the dialogue/translation issues was corrected for the PAL release.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

From what I recall the dialogue/translation issues was corrected for the PAL release.

I was gonna say, I don't remember any of this stuff, and it was the pal version I played. Although it has been a good 12 years since I played it, so there's undoubtedly an element of poor memory here.