Most stupid character decision in a film

Loik V credern

I always thought Karl's decision to fight McLane instead of putting a cap in his ass was pretty fucking stupid, by that token Gruber instead of shooting McLane straight away sharing a joke with him was pretty dumbass also. 

1 hour ago, mash said:

I always thought Karl's decision to fight McLane instead of putting a cap in his ass was pretty fucking stupid, by that token Gruber instead of shooting McLane straight away sharing a joke with him was pretty dumbass also. 

Any bad guy who doesn't just shoot and chooses to fight makes a stupid decision. 

Bennett wouldn't have ended up with a pipe through the gut if he'd just shot Matrix.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

I never understood why in Aliens they didn't tell the marines why they shouldn't use live ammo when they were scoping out the area, just that they couldn't, which they then disobeyed.

Marines shouldn't need to be told why. They should be obeying orders regardless.

On 18/09/2022 at 23:22, deKay said:

Every single time something is going in a straight line towards anyone and they try to out run it. A car, train, falling tree. Just step to the side?

On this theme, when somebody is running away from a car, they never start going down alleys the car can't get down. Stupid.

55 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

Marines shouldn't need to be told why. They should be obeying orders regardless.

Yeah but that extra bit of information would’ve been useful, moreso when they didn’t really respect the guy giving the order - was he company as opposed to military? It’s been a while since I saw it

I thought that the live ammo was explained - they were underneath the heat exchangers (?) which later on provide the need to get the hell out of the colony because, well, they shot it with ammo.

Though that may have been in the book and/or Directors Cut.

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I thought that the live ammo was explained - they were underneath the heat exchangers (?) which later on provide the need to get the hell out of the colony because, well, they shot it with ammo.

It's explained to Gorman but he just tells Apone to collect the magazines I believe. The marines themselves don't know the reason. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

That's my point - the people in charge knew but didn't tell the marines that was why.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It's explained to Gorman but he just tells Apone to collect the magazines I believe. The marines themselves don't know the reason. 

Ah, got you.  Explained to the audience, not the characters.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

surely this can be attributed to the naivety/idiocy of Gorman? he should have said if you fire your weapons in there your likely to cause a nuclear explosion.  Lest not forget he tried to stop Ripley from rescuing the marines. 

15 minutes ago, mash said:

surely this can be attributed to the naivety/idiocy of Gorman? he should have said if you fire your weapons in there your likely to cause a nuclear explosion.  Lest not forget he tried to stop Ripley from rescuing the marines. 

Yeah it's Gorman who is at fault. So let's put that down as his stupid decision. 

It totally makes sense within the fiction of the story that Gorman doesn't bother to explain why the ammo needs to be collected, and we are talking about stupid character decisions rather than plot holes. I guess what the topic is getting at is stupid things that otherwise capable characters do that don't really fit the character. Like, there's no point saying "why did De Niro turn the car around to go after Waingro in Heat??" because the whole point is that it's a fateful decision emerging from an established character flaw.

Okay, here's one: in Star Wars A New Hope is it ever explained why the smart and capable Princess Leia knowingly leads the Imperials to the super-secret Rebel base after they escape the Death Star? She knows the Falcon has a tracker on it. Does it make sense to rush back without trying to find and remove it?

17 hours ago, Pob said:

Okay, here's one: in Star Wars A New Hope is it ever explained why the smart and capable Princess Leia knowingly leads the Imperials to the super-secret Rebel base after they escape the Death Star? She knows the Falcon has a tracker on it. Does it make sense to rush back without trying to find and remove it?

It's not explicitly explained, but I always thought it was to lure the Deathstar into a position where the Rebels could easily attack it's weak spot.  

Spoiler

image.png.2edbb7e04f946dafad77b9264772cb15.png

22 hours ago, Plissken said:

Ah, got you.  Explained to the audience, not the characters.

It is understood by at least some of the Marines certainly in the Directors cut, as when Hicks pulls out the shotgun he likes to keep for close encounters, he says something to the effect that ‘It won’t be setting off any mushrooms’.

In the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie, the big lizard chap is chasing a helicopter as it weaves between the skyscrapers. The pilot says something like "I can't shake him!", ignoring the very point of the vehicle he has spent many, many hours learning to fly.

I just watched the new film The Princess, which is very simplistic and predictable, so SPOILERS FOR THE PRINCESS the villain intends to marry the youngest daughter of the king as quickly as possible as he's decided the older daughter of the king isn't needed now, she's called the princess. The princess tells the youngest daughter she has to hide away in this secret room they're in, that's all she has to do. What does she do five minutes later? She crawls into the church where the villain is to hand out swords to people fucking sat there. Yes she's quickly spotted. She's about 10 so it's not like it's out of character maybe but she might have noticed all the murdering during the previous days that let her know the severity of the situation.