Source of Ubisoft Forward leak accidentally admits to it

Captain Kelsten

Thought he was responding under his leaker account but was actually his real one…

Ubisoft lawyers gonna love this! 

He was given the info by Ubisoft under embargo which he completely ignored and posted about under a fake account. 

Then he responded to a tweet thinking he was still signed in as that fake account but was actually signed in under his proper account. 

He deleted it all but, y’know, internet. People saw. People spread it. 

• Captain Kelsten changed the title to YouTuber who leaked the Ubisoft Forward announcement before event accidentally admits to it
14 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Risking all of that trouble for Ubisoft games. What a mug.

Exactly. What miniscule crumb of clout do you think will be worth it when all you're dealing with is identikit games from a company that thinks sex pests in their ranks is fine?

Spoiler

The answer is none, btw. Guy's dumb, and the less I hear about Ubisoft the better

14 minutes ago, Siri said:

Exactly. What miniscule crumb of clout do you think will be worth it when all you're dealing with is identikit games from a company that thinks sex pests in their ranks is fine?

Hide contents

The answer is none, btw. Guy's dumb, and the less I hear about Ubisoft the better

It's even sillier when you think about whatever he's going to be sued into poverty over now is likely to be on sale for spare change in a couple of years after everyone's moved on.

I don't have much sympathy for this guy, but the truth of it is that he'll now get sued up the wazoo and will likely lose his livelihood entirely as a result of this, whereas Ubisoft execs will never be charged a penny for all of the terrible shit that took place at their company, either under their watch or actually perpetrated by them themselves.

51 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Risking all of that trouble for Ubisoft games. What a mug.

It would be dumb to violate an NDA for a genuine megaton, but doing for such non-news on a regularly releasing franchise as this is just why bother.

Guys, guys, try and keep this on the QT, but my contacts at EA are telling me they plan to release a new Madden game next year.

• Captain Kelsten changed the title to Source of Ubisoft Forward leak accidentally admits to it
18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I don't have much sympathy for this guy, but the truth of it is that he'll now get sued up the wazoo and will likely lose his livelihood entirely as a result of this, whereas Ubisoft execs will never be charged a penny for all of the terrible shit that took place at their company, either under their watch or actually perpetrated by them themselves.

I've sent this into the OED, as the actual definition of whataboutery.

57 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I've sent this into the OED, as the actual definition of whataboutery.

I'm not defending him - it was a stupid thing to do and I mentioned, very clearly, that I didn't sympathise with him - but I can't pretend that the lack of justice for the Ubisoft execs wasn't the first thing that came to mind.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

It's even sillier when you think about whatever he's going to be sued into poverty over now is likely to be on sale for spare change in a couple of years after everyone's moved on.

you spelled “weeks” wrong :coffee:

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

How did this guy get this kind of access anyway? He appears to be a bit of a nobody. You just need a small YouTube account for that these days?

Not sure what type of briefing it was, but I assume it was nothing more but a document with projects to be announced. I doubt Ubi flew Dan to some sort of super secret briefing.

If you're some no-name YouTuber you are pretty much reliant on staying in the good books of publishers if you want any sort of access.

That won't always mean talking something up when it's rubbish but at the bare minimum it will mean respecting an embargo.

And this goes for anyone working in media. If you break an embargo you won't get that access in future. Is it really worth the risk for something so boring?

Ubisoft might be in a weird position here.

My feeling is they're better off just blacklisting this guy and other publishers will probably follow suit. Rather than take him to court for breach of contract.

However if he "gets away with it" they might struggle to discourage others from doing it in the future.

Depends on the NDA but I would assume at the very least it would probably involve getting sued for costs due to abandoned/changed marketing plans, financial projections affecting the share price etc.  It isn't a case of "yes, this game is coming out earlier than you thought".