Lou - Allison Janney does John Wick and Taken

Captain Kelsten

Allison Janney aka CJ from Westwing (amazing actress in an incredible role) stars as Lou in Netflix’s new movie “Lou”. 

Lou is basically Keanu Reeves in John Wick. She’s Liam Neeson in Taken. She’s Bob Odenkirk in Nobody. But she’s played by a better actor than all of them combined. 

Here, have a trailer:

On 23/09/2022 at 17:01, Captain Kelsten said:

Most reviews are basically saying it’s a complete waste of Allison Janney’s talents and a bit naff. 

Ah well. 

It being a Netflix funded product should have told you to lower the bar right to the floor. All 3 of the films and actors you shat on probably had similar or lesser amounts spent on their films and they maybe less talented (no idea, never heard of the woman you reference) but their films, even the Bob Odenkirk star vehicle still beats this, which is just classic Netflix Seal of Quality.

On 23/09/2022 at 12:24, Exidor said:

It's a bit of a red flag that pretty much every line in the trailer falls flat. I might still give it a go just to see Janney Bourneing the shit out of a bunch of dudes though.

The red flag was ‘Netflix movie’ Allison Janney is a wonderful actress though. 

So as a result of Allison Janney's personal publicist's initial claims, I decided to see what the fuss was about. I do actually recognise her from some old films, but didn't know her name.

The topic title needs changing as it is highly misleading, this is as close to films like Taken and John Wick as McDonald's is to gourmet burgers. I'd describe it as a very Indie thriller with a stupidly low bodycount, the exact opposite of the films it is being compared against.

As to the quality of the film itself, Netflix/10 essentially, competently made but entirely forgettable and a snoozefest for anybody looking for a charismatic actor of either gender stacking up fools to the ceiling.

A fairer comparison would be against the action works of either Denzel Washington or Charlize Theron, both award winners who have shown they can murder people with plenty of flair, and this film comes up very short against either of their best works.

• 3 weeks later...