PlayStation Stars 🌟 Reward Scheme Now Available

Ferine

image.thumb.png.7435248f84efc432077bd77c570fa051.png

What is this?

A loyalty programme. You earn points and redeem them for items in a catalogue, such as PSN credit or digital games.

How do you earn points?

Via 'campaigns' which are basically time-limited challenges, like earning Trophies, playing specific games, participating in tournaments, etc.

If you're a PlayStation Plus subscriber you also get points for PSN purchases.

So it's like Microsoft Rewards?

More or less. (Check this thread for info on that.)

Sony have had a few such schemes since the PS3 days, but they've typically been US-only whereas this one is launching in a lot more territories.

When and where will it be available?

The currently scheduled regional rollout is:

Asia, including Japan September 29th
North and South America October 5th
Europe, Australia, and New Zealand October 13th

How do I sign up?

When Stars is available in your region you should be able to register for free here.

How do I see active campaigns and redeem stuff?

Via the PlayStation mobile app.

There are plans to integrate Stars into the console interface, but for now you need a phone.

What's this about 'collectibles'? Are they NFTs?

No, they're 3D models you can collect. Think of them like the trophies in Smash Bros or the capsule rewards in Astro's Playroom.

Currently you can only display them in the PlayStation app. Presumably they'll eventually be integrated into the console experience in some fashion; examining them in VR would seem an obvious choice.

Figured it was worth making a thread for this now the scheme is available in Asia, which is relevant to a few members. Supposedly some of the campaigns will have deductive or communal aspects, so possibly worth some coordination or discussion.

I'm not expecting it to be as lucrative as Microsoft Rewards, which has improved a lot in recent years and currently sustains my Game Pass subscription. Still, earning any amount of PSN credit for stuff I'm already doing is better than none. I guess we'll see how things pan out.

Anyone with a suitable PSN account able to give early impressions?

4 minutes ago, Ferine said:

What's this about 'collectibles'? Are they NFTs?

No, they're 3D models you can collect. Think of them like the trophies in Smash Bros or the capsule rewards in Astro's Playroom.

Currently you can only display them in the PlayStation app. Presumably they'll eventually be integrated into the console experience in some fashion; examining them in VR would seem an obvious choice.

PlayStation Home 2.0 right there.

13 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Couldn't give less of a shit about digital collectibles. But would be nice to earn ps store vouchers. 

Yeah just let me know where the plugin is that automates it all.  I have one for the MS rewards thing.  One click and done

On 29/09/2022 at 15:10, deerokus said:

Apparently you can get 'better customer service' as one of the perks.

I didn't know Sony did customer service tbh.

It takes a lot of points to get them to encrypt your password at rest. 

As fact checking tends to run counter to the doomed business model of writing about games, I decided to take a quick look at the official terms:

Points can be earned on Eligible Purchases made by PlayStation Plus subscribers and paid for using any of the PlayStation Store accepted payment methods including payments made using PSN Wallet. Points cannot be earned on Eligible Purchases made using product codes (or vouchers) that can be used to access free games or discounted games.

I imagine the Kotaku writer has misinterpreted a caveat that mentions you can't earn points by purchasing Wallet credit. In other words, you can't earn double the points by spending money to fill your wallet, then using said funds to purchase a game.

When the scheme launches in the UK I'll be using Wallet funds for any purchases, so if that's an issue I'll let people know.

The main reason I don't use a credit card is because buying funds via ShopTo or CD Keys is significantly cheaper, not really because I'm scared for my details.

But you do still see people in here having their account hacked and Sony not dealing well with it, so I guess there's that too.

Also, tis annoying for people working abroad. I'm Dutch, my PSN account is tied to the Dutch Store (setup way back when I was still working in The Netherlands). Nowadays I work and live in Ireland which means Irish bank + card. Due to a region conflict I can not attach any Irish card to my Dutch PSN account. Tried via Revolut and tis the same deal; it sees me as Irish.

I'd happily link my Revolut Online Shopping card to my PSN account, but I am not allowed due to the region conflict.

10 hours ago, TehStu said:

Yeah but 2022 and we're still dubious about Sony having your credit card. I didn't realize that was still a thing after they rolled out MFA.

I don't trust them still since the hack and the other issues since then like refunds and account security/theft etc

It's good for everyone else if they've tightened up those loopholes but I decided to vote with my wallet back then and have managed to stick to it.

• Ferine changed the title to PlayStation Stars 🌟 Reward Scheme Now Available

Sign up for this should now be available for everyone. You can do this via the web or if you open the PlayStation app on your phone there's a flashing icon along the top of the screen you can click on.

I made a small purchase using Wallet funds and it tracked instantly; you get a notification on your phone. So, as anticipated, you can continue to use discounted credit top-ups alongside this scheme.

You get 10 points back for each £1 spent on PSN if you're a Plus member. Redeeming £5 of store credit via Stars costs 1,250 points, effectively 250 points per £1, so you're getting 4% back on each purchase. For comparison Microsoft Rewards gives you 2% back on purchases – if you're Level 2 and have Gold – so I'd say this aspect of Stars is pretty good.

However, at the time of writing there are no active 'Campaigns' that reward points, making purchases the only source. It remains to be seen how frequent and lucrative such things will be.

Yeah until we see how often and how generous their campaigns are, it's impossible to judge at the moment. Earning points via game purchases is probably the least important part of the MS rewards scheme in my opinion, it's all the ways you can earn them for free that make it so good.

On 13/10/2022 at 10:41, Majora said:

Yeah until we see how often and how generous their campaigns are, it's impossible to judge at the moment. Earning points via game purchases is probably the least important part of the MS rewards scheme in my opinion, it's all the ways you can earn them for free that make it so good.

I gain no rewards points from spending money, as you say, it is all about how many free points* you can rack up. That is where the value is for me.

* yes I know it costs time and if you work it out it's less than minimum wage.