Poker is a Sport, right?

dino_jr

I have nothing of note to describe. We have a once/month game with Dominoes Pizza at half time, huge £10 buy-ins. Plus some Pokerstars games now and then.

Just wondered if anyone has seen the recent alleged cheat scandal with this hand. She calls an All-in with J4 which has caused uproar on some sites, even made BBC News etc.

She subsequently gave the money back which feels an admission of guilt (maybe).

57 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

I have nothing of note to describe. We have a once/month game with Dominoes Pizza at half time, huge £10 buy-ins. Plus some Pokerstars games now and then.

Just wondered if anyone has seen the recent alleged cheat scandal with this hand. She calls an All-in with J4 which has caused uproar on some sites, even made BBC News etc.

She subsequently gave the money back which feels an admission of guilt (maybe).

I'm not sure I understand how she is cheating... She figures that he has nothing in his hand and is bluffing and so she bluffs him and beats his hand? Isn't that exactly what poker is all about?

Where's the controversy?

Is this similar to the current chess furore where they are claiming some guy is having moves morse coded to him via bluetooth vibrating anal beads he has inserted where the chess refs don't usually look ?

I swear I'm not making this up

😮

Who knew chess could be so sexy...

I guess it's how did she know he had nothing in his hand... then again he had two clubs and there were two clubs in the middle, so he had a chance of a flush and she went all in before the last card was turned... I think? If she knew his cards I wouldn't have thought she'd have done that.

Chess, Poker and Fishing all have some amazing cheating scandals going on at the moment.

I don't think it's likely she cheated. She knew he likely had nothing because she read him from previous hands.

Steve Albini wrote a nice little twitter thread about it

in the replies there's sombody saying it's actually more likely he was cheating in cahoots with the organisers if anything and that's why he's so pissed off. That would be fun!

Poker is a game with an element of random chance, plus the David beating Goliath with only a slingshot idea.  The problem is Americans love to rank and predict absolutely everything so the concept of "shit happens" seems to invalidate all their careful systems and metrics.  If you keep beating the odds hand and after hand, then yes, likely to be cheating, but as a famous writer once said, a million to one shot happens every time.

It's lacking context like milko said, if she's got a slight read on him then she may have fancied it (or vice versa)but not sure you would chance that with such a shite hand (as mentioned above), unless your playing super loose.

Not sure why she gave the moneyback, if she cheated then how and in collusion with who? 

Poker is a big passion of mine and I play regularly. Her call is absolutely ridiculous and the shit she says after makes no sense either.

If she thinks he's bluffing, even then the only logical hands you're beating are 7,6 clubs and the 7,8 clubs. So just 2 combinations. He could also make the same move with A, K, Q X of clubs or QJ which is an up and down straight draw. As you can see, a lot more combinations. 

You can also look at equity and value etc. She's probably not cheating, but it's still an absurd play.

Poker used to be a thing for me. I've made a healthy 6 figure profit from the game over the years playing 99% cash games. Haven't played properly for a long time now.

She is awful. And giving the money back after making a call like that is incredibly suspect. Such fun!

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2022 at 16:39, Chindie said:

It's 'bad' play, but I don't know how you can think there's cheating going on.

The absolute worst thing about Poker is watching people drill all the fun out of it by having prescribed 'good' moves, and getting furious when people don't follow the prescriptive, robotic method.

Never learning the percentages is obviously why I never got above a low level, but man is it more fun playing that way than with those others.

Poker men are demonstrably more annoying than the maligned likes of D&D men. With a big portion of IMO, obviously.