Switch 2 - what do you want to see

KRP

11 minutes ago, SMD said:

?

what was wrong with it?

- Constant bluetooth disconnects on the left joycon in both sets I bought at launch.

- Stick drift on every joycon I've ever had

- Case cracking around the power button

- Main unit warping and bending from heat

- Pro controller d-pad needing a DIY fix to stop it registering incorrect inputs and making most games unplayable.

I'm sure deKay will be popping over from his mirror dimension in a minute to let us know that these problems don't actually exist, but I've never had to replace and repair a console so much in its first year.

12 minutes ago, SMD said:

?

what was wrong with it?

Joycon drift, which persists to this day, the kickstand is serviceable but flimsy, the fan grill is quite weak and brittle, and there were issues with warping and the plastic screen coming away from the unit slightly. 

“faulty mess” is a bit dramatic though, it worked just fine, and my original day one unit is still pretty much perfect despite years of use. The issues I’ve listed never really affected me but I have read about them, and I’ve had the occasional bit of stick drift which seems to correct itself with use. 

The OLED is way better of course so hopefully they will continue to improve on the design. 

10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

A D-pad.

Yeah, or some kind of modular approach like that of the elite controllers for other systems.

I understand entirely why there is no d-pad but it would be nice to have the option, although I suppose third party solutions do exist. 

7 minutes ago, Quest said:

- Constant bluetooth disconnects on the left joycon in both sets I bought at launch.

- Stick drift on every joycon I've ever had

- Case cracking around the power button

- Main unit warping and bending from heat

- Pro controller d-pad needing a DIY fix to stop it registering incorrect inputs and making most games unplayable.

I'm sure deKay will be popping over from his mirror dimension in a minute to let us know that these problems don't actually exist, but I've never had to replace and repair a console so much in its first year.

that sounds desperately unlucky, i've heard of a few of those happening but not all on the same machine. touch wood my launch machine is still working as it did day 1, where did you get yours from?

I remember when people were putting felt and all kinds of business in their docks  due to the fear mongering going on during launch, and thinking, yeah that’s probably going to make it worse. I put a screen protector on mine but nothing else, and it’s fine. 

1 minute ago, SMD said:

that sounds desperately unlucky, i've heard of a few of those happening but not all on the same machine. touch wood my launch machine is still working as it did day 1, where did you get yours from?

Yodobashi Camera

I just want a machine that has enough power to run Nintendo games docked at 1080p at a stable frame rate with some AA. Playing games at sub 1080p with an unstable 30fps frame rate and jaggies on a big 4k TV in 2022 is a pretty miserable experience.

1 minute ago, Quest said:

Yodobashi Camera

I'm fairly certain my launch model was from Europe but I'm not sure cos it was through an indie who broke street date, touch wood I haven't even had joycon drift but I know that's a lottery I'm somehow winning.

don't suppose you know if it was common to a specific distributor?

8 minutes ago, Quest said:

I've had two joycon fixed by me (added some conductive foam) because of disconnects (launch left, and bought at launch second left), one returned to Nintendo because the L button stopped working (from my launch OLED), and I replaced the left controls daughterboard on my daughter's Lite last week because the metal button under the Minus button had broken.

I had to clean sticks a few times over the years with contact cleaner or air because of drift, but I've had that with GC/360/PS4 too.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

I just want a machine that has enough power to run Nintendo games docked at 1080p at a stable frame rate with some AA. Playing games at sub 1080p with an unstable 30fps frame rate and jaggies on a big 4k TV in 2022 is a pretty miserable experience.

There are exceptions but most Nintendo games look fine. Take Splatoon 3 for example, that looks incredible and runs at 60FPS. 

2 hours ago, SMD said:

?

what was wrong with it?

I know personally I went through a number of joycon controllers and the fan is on it's way out (it get's incredibly noisy). I then bought an OLED and the original has not been out of it's box since, seem's such a shame. So yeah build quality would be one for me to see improvements on too. Otherwise, backwards compatibilty would be good but other than that I'm fairly happy with the Switch as it is.

2 hours ago, SMD said:

Just seen @Quest issues and I have had most of them as well ^_^ So he isn't the only one here.

I know this is a "what do you want" wishlist thread but wanting Nintendo to go back to console and handheld (or just no handheld offering at all) is about as realistic as half life 3 coming out on the lynx.

It wouldn't shock me for them to lose the plot and do a switch u or something similarly confusingly marketed but no way would anyone look at the sales of the switch and think they should not make a handheld hybrid again. 

Not to mention the success of the steam deck shows that a lot of people do actually like handheld gaming still (that aren't kids).

31 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I know this is a "what do you want" wishlist thread but wanting Nintendo to go back to console and handheld (or just no handheld offering at all) is about as realistic as half life 3 coming out on the lynx.

It wouldn't shock me for them to lose the plot and do a switch u or something similarly confusingly marketed but no way would anyone look at the sales of the switch and think they should not make a handheld hybrid again. 

Not to mention the success of the steam deck shows that a lot of people do actually like handheld gaming still (that aren't kids).

Definitely, it’s just a very convenient way to play games regardless of your setting, that doesn’t interrupt family life etc. too much, and for me that means that I get to play far more than I would otherwise. 

That they haven’t bothered with a TV only Switch, and that the non Lite versions are the best sellers, suggests they won’t do it next gen either. 

It’s the best console ever made and still holds its own so I’m not too desperate for an upgrade.

I suppose if they are planning one they need to keep the hybrid form factor, so it looks and works similar to how it is now because it’s just brilliant, maybe upgrade the chipset so you get slightly better graphics and improve the joycons or something, I dunno. Should be 100% backwards compatible. It’d be nice if the online service had gba and 3ds games too. Oh and they should bring back streetpass too, loved that feature on the 3ds. 

I was going to mention street pass, but the number of times I take my switch out of the house is minuscule (usually just for holiday travel). 

I also very rarely see Switches out on public transport (trains and tubes).

It would be interesting to know how many users regularly leave the house with a switch. Mine just goes from dock to sofa to bog and back again. 

Other than better build quality on the joycon? (drift/dropping connection)

One where the dock doesn't scratch the screen when you remove it. Mine's been used out of the dock probably 20 times since I bought it on release date and when I was cleaning my desk yesterday noticed some small scratches. 

• Hybrid design, as with the Switch
• 100% backwards compatibility with the Switch

• Games available on physical media

• Better hardware power, to keep the system reasonably competitive for receiving games conversions from third party developers 

• Better build quality, particularly on the detachable controllers

Doesn’t need anything else.

9 minutes ago, KRP said:

I was going to mention street pass, but the number of times I take my switch out of the house is minuscule (usually just for holiday travel). 

I also very rarely see Switches out on public transport (trains and tubes).

It would be interesting to know how many users regularly leave the house with a switch. Mine just goes from dock to sofa to bog and back again. 

Used to take mine out nearly every day - since the lockdown and the WFH era began its mainly not left the house. 

12 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

100% backwards compatibility with the Switch

Even the OLED isn't 100% backwards compatible so can't see that happening

(some of the Labo stuff, in case you didn't know)

17 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

One where the dock doesn't scratch the screen when you remove it. Mine's been used out of the dock probably 20 times since I bought it on release date and when I was cleaning my desk yesterday noticed some small scratches. 

That's grit in the dock, not the dock itself. The plastic the dock is made of isn't hard enough to scratch the screen. There's some proof out there with Rockwell Hardness Scale stats if you look.