Alright feels like we’re cooking now (the games are coming)

Sarlaccfood

After a pretty quiet year for the big boys with indies doing the heavy lifting since Elden Ring, it feels like we’re about to go into a patch of pretty big releases from now through the first half of next year:

Modern Warfare 2

Bayo 3

God of War Ragnarok

Sonic Frontiers

Callisto Protocol 

FF7 Crisis Core

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Resi 4 remake

Final Fantasy 16

All looking proper good (even Sonic!)

I don’t have a point to this topic really other than some good old hype train action. Especially as we’ve heard from some of the above recently and that’s got me excited and made them feel like real games that will actually exist one day soon.

What have you got your eye on and what have I missed that you’re looking forward to?

God of war is the only big release I’m picking up at the moment. 
 I’ll probably trade in some MS points for the final Dark Pictures game but everything else is smaller gamepass stuff. 
 Pentiment as it’s obsidian and they always make interesting stuff and high on life for a laugh. 

The only game that's probably going to make Q1/Q2 that I'm looking forward to is Forza. Maybe Starfield and Stalker 2, but they're always going to be tenuous. I'm guessing Flateye, Agent 64 and Victory Heat Rally will release this year.

Everything else is just a rough 2022 or 2023 date - games like Demonschool, Redfall, Snufkin, Anger Foot, Diablo IV and Suikoden 1&2 HD.

It's fine though, honestly. I didn't know about Neon White until about four months before release, and that was only because there was an early demo on Steam. There's bound to be a game or two that will just turn up on our collective doorsteps and be fantastic.

I don't know if I'll be picking up many more new games this year. (Old games that are on sale, maybe ;)

For the start of next year: Persona 3 Portable multiplatform, Destiny 2: Lightfall, and maybe Like A Dragon Ishin?

Looking at Gamesradar, most of the other interesting (to me) releases next year are "TBC 2023" 🙃

Asked for Ragnarok for Christmas, but if Santa decides otherwise will pick it up sometime next year along with The Callisto Protocol and the Dead Space remake.

Intrigued by RE4 but have such fond memories of that from the Wii, and such rubbish memories of 5 feeling clunky on a PlayStation that I wonder if a lot of my enjoyment of 4 came from the motion controls. Appreciate 4 is a superior game in every way, but may just leave it as a happy memory, and one of the few games I’ve completed, watched the credits, then immediately started another play through. That was a lovely day.

8 minutes ago, SMD said:

i don't understand how in space year 2022 people are still playing propaganda shooter: consent manufacturer but apparently it's really fun to realistically blow up brown people?

It's very very good. The campaign is a hell of a ride, really enjoying it so far.

13 minutes ago, SMD said:

i don't understand how in space year 2022 people are still playing propaganda shooter: consent manufacturer but apparently it's really fun to realistically blow up brown people?

It’s great, way better than the last few. Tempted to get a 4090 if future games will look as good as it. 

I can't say I get the appeal of COD nowadays - I played Modern Warfare and thought it was a pretty but simplistic and entirely soulless murder simulator with some horrible shifts in tone.

However, God of War, R4make and Zelda will all be day one purchases. Callisto Protocol I'll definitely play, although I'm more interested in the Dead Space Remake now, I think, and I'm still uncertain about FF16. I don't know if I can deal with a game where the main character is called Clive.

And here's a link to Rllmuk's most anticipated games, for anyone who wants a reminder of what's yet to come: 

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

That's a lot of sequels and spin-offs.

Alright cool boy, bit hard to get excited about things I don’t know exist though isn’t it?

”Yeah can’t wait for that album I’ve not heard from that band I don’t know”

I’m sure there’s gonna be loads that make GOTY lists that will and have come out of nowhere, same as every year. Just don’t about them yet.

From that list the only slight bit of interest I have is FFXVI, and that is very very slight as FF games have been trading on past glories/name recognition for almost two decades now. I will definitely be waiting for good word of mouth before I commit to it.

Little desperation to play any of those but will inevitably pick a few up when a) there’s a price drop, and b) the adoration of one of these games post-release pushes me to splash out. 

My winter 2022 game will be Cyberpunk 2077, which I have purchased on PS5 and Xbox and still haven’t spent more than 30 minutes on.