What turned out to be pure hype?

dumpster

I remember Star Wars Phantom Menace getting a 10/10 review and being heralded as the best thing ever.  In fact, the Star Wars Prequels got great reviews (if I remember correctly) at the time and it was the Red Letter Media review that really nailed what was wrong. 

The N64 jumper pack - was it proved that it didn't actually do a lot?

The intricate and intertwined mysteries of the TV Show, Lost, that really didn't go anywhere.  My favourite TV show for 5 and a bit years. Then... That's it?

So what else what wildly successful but turned out to be pure hype?

Are you thinking of the N64 expansion pak, an extra £60 to play majoras mask (great) and donkey kong 64 (shite) 

Yes the “high res” mode it enabled in certain games was a load of hype, made perfect dark run worse

So I take it this thread isn't intended to be simply about things that received pre-release hype due to grand announcements which the final products didn't live up to? (Hi, Peter Molyneux! :bye: Hi, Killzone 2 trailer!)

But instead this thread is for examples of things that were well-received at the time because everyone got caught up in the hype, making them very successful, only for everyone to look back later and feel a bit embarrassed about how enthusiastic they'd been?

55 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I remember Star Wars Phantom Menace getting a 10/10 review and being heralded as the best thing ever.  In fact, the Star Wars Prequels got great reviews (if I remember correctly) at the time and it was the Red Letter Media review that really nailed what was wrong. 

The N64 jumper pack - was it proved that it didn't actually do a lot?

The intricate and intertwined mysteries of the TV Show, Lost, that really didn't go anywhere.  My favourite TV show for 5 and a bit years. Then... That's it?

So what else what wildly successful but turned out to be pure hype?

The Phantom Menace didn't get great reviews at the time.  It got mostly mixed or poor reviews.  Not sure about episodes two and three.

35 minutes ago, Gorf said:

Ah but you could play some of perfect dark without the expansion pak just not all of it

Did an expansion pak cost £60? Maybe it was half that, still a kick in the balls at the time

I think it was £40 because every time its splash screen appeared in compatible games my cousin would say "I paid £40 for that screen".

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Metal gear solid 5

Ridiculous, those are the only good ones!

I, er, shan't regale the forum with my equivalent lukewarm takes. But on the subject of Things That Were Hyped At Launch But Are Now Generally Considered Poor — Kinect has to be a perfect example, right? The idea was interesting, and it enabled some half-decent dancing games, but it was utterly hamstrung by its painful latency; it could never live up to its promises because it was never responsive enough.

And then, having scared everyone off with the poor V1 experience, Microsoft went from 100% Kinect 2.0 at Xbox One launch to 0% Kinect 2.0 about five minutes later, the poor thing (and poor developers who'd been making games for it).

Shenmue 3 for me. Big time.

A whole bunch of excitement and promise coming off the back of that E3 only to end up with something that moved the plot along a figurative millimetre at an incredibly - even by Shenmue standards - glacial pace. I wasn’t expecting it to suddenly turn into an insane epic with explosions and fights around every corner, but I did figure given the difficulty and time involved in even getting the game into existence there’d be some kind of attempt to move things along a bit.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

So I take it this thread isn't intended to be simply about things that received pre-release hype due to grand announcements which the final products didn't live up to? (Hi, Peter Molyneux! :bye: Hi, Killzone 2 trailer!)

But instead this thread is for examples of things that were well-received at the time because everyone got caught up in the hype, making them very successful, only for everyone to look back later and feel a bit embarrassed about how enthusiastic they'd been?

it would certainly be a more interesting thread than the one we’ve had a hundred times before.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - lots of hype, then, oh dear, BoTW is released a couple of weeks later.

Horizon: Forbidden West - much more hype, then, oh dear…

Grand Theft Auto 4 - received as you’d expect, but so bleak, nice animation, hamstrung by Rockstars mission design and without the size, humour or online mode of GTA5.

4 hours ago, carlospie said:

Metal gear solid 5

Finally we get a Metal Gear with good stealth and brilliant emergent gameplay, and people complain about the lack of cutscenes. But I won't go there!

Anyway, for me it was Cyberpunk. I was so hyped. The game is great now but still nothing like the revolutionary experience I'd built up in my head since 2012.

I feel like over the past few years Edge have put a lot of middling-to-poor games on the cover - The Ascent being the poster child example. You can call it optimism, or going to bat for the other guy, or even just a sign of the times, but it has translated into a lot of hype - if Edge are backing it, it must be good - for games that were never worth getting excited about. 

I still regard Daikatana as the most overhyped game ever. Before its release it sounded like the best thing ever but it was a mess of a game. 

Honorable mentions that spring to mind include Spore (which was fun for about an hour), Anthem and a more recent example; Balan Wonderworld. What a shitshow that was.