The English - iPlayer

pledge

An Englishwoman comes to the West in 1890 looking for revenge on the man she sees as responsible for the death of her son, and meets an ex-cavalry scout and member of the Pawnee Nation by birth with whom she discovers a possible shared history

Starring Emily Blunt and on BBC2/iPlayer.

It is from Hugo Blick who created both The Shadow Line and more recently Black Earth Rising, both of which I thought were incredible. So I have pretty high hopes for this.

Top marks from the Guardian (although this writer often has awful opinions, but she at least recently gave Corden's show 2/5)

Well, that was a magnificent 6 parts of amazing.

As commentary on the foundations of American society, it's hard not to see it as blisteringly damming as one violent grotesque follows the other on screen.  

Bleaker and more violent than most Westerns I've seen, but with pathos and tenderness in and between both leads.

A classic. 

Just watched the second episode. It's so good. I've always loved a good Western anyway. I love a good modern Western even more. And then they go and do one that's so very beautiful. On this form this is going to take some beating as best TV of the year. (It reminds me a tad of the film Open Range (a favourite of mine) - slow burn, character-based, and loads of pretty scenic shots (this is far prettier though).

745364638_2022-11-14(1).png.b2f38555123e5cd9b33021dce95a1223.png

21 hours ago, pledge said:

It is an Amazon production, and on Prime Video in the US - so maybe other countries have it on Prime outside the UK.

Sadly not on Japanese prime, unless the title has been changed to something odd. I searched for Emily Blunt too but nothing came up :(

I suppose there is always the high seas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was all kinds of awesome. Definitely one to watch again with the knowledge of who everyone is and how they all fit into the story.

Spoiler

At one point in the last episode I thought they were “doing a Westworld” and were about to reveal that we’d been watching events from decades apart (when the old deputy geezer went to see the Black Widow who it was heavily implied was Emily Blunt as an old woman) but it turned out to just be foreshadowing.

I thought the very last pair of lines were perfect.

My other half been watching this, bit too ponderous for my liking, but we got to ep4 last night and I had to look up from my Steam Deck as thought Alfie Solomons from Peaky Blinders was making a guest appearance.

He's ripped off not only the voice and accent but the whole cadence and speech patterns from Tom Hardy.

This was fabulous. Top tier throughout. It did remind me of Red Dead Redemption 2 as the vistas were stunning and the Wild West felt so sparse and huge. Oh and...

Spoiler

Finding out she has a terminal disease was heartbreaking but mirrors Red Dead.

If you like this and read books, I'd recommend Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Some brilliantly evil characters - Black Eyed Mog was a highlight. 

The dialogue was wonderful and it completely surprised me. I didn't see the twist coming at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Phenomenal TV. Didn’t realise it was just six episodes. Will happily watch that again.  I was particularly blown away by 

Spoiler

Rewatching the start of episode 1. It showed us everything and earnt it all. Especially  those words. “I will Cherish you”

5/5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm two episodes into this and am enjoying it a lot so far. It looks absolutely stunning, and the music is beautiful, too. And I really like the actor who plays Eli.

Looking forward to getting it watched over the next week :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this off tonight.

Yes - very good. A touch convoluted, perhaps, but it pays off in the end. I would have liked a bit more time with 

Spoiler

Black Mog and her boys - she gets killed off too quickly!  -

but, overall, the cinematography, music and performances more than make up for it. I admit to being a little bit choked up in the final scenes.

Rafe Spall is especially good as an uber nasty bastard; I've never seen him in this sort of role before and it took me a minute to figure out who the actor was. Chaske Spencer has also come out of nowhere and is perfect in the role (I've never heard of him before, but apparently he's in the Twilight films).

One thing I couldn't figure out re. the ending:

Spoiler

How does Cornelia (Emily Blunt's character) get shot? The Myers woman shoots Melmont (Rafe Spall) but Cornelia collapses at the same time, and it's revealed that the locket she has of her son's hair deflected the bullet, but who fired the bullet in the first place? Are we supposed to infer that this was shrapnel form Mrs Myers' bullet, or something like that?

And why did Thomas Trafford (Tom Hughes) brand himself with 'DD' (for 'Dishonourable Discharge') in the same way that the men who committed the massacre of the Cheyenne were branded? I thought that he and Lee, his mate, disassociated themselves with the bad'uns after they discovered that they were killing the innocent Cheyenne, so why would he tar himself with the same brush?

Binged this today, very good indeed, but it was at a slight a disadvantage for me coming straight off a watch of 1883 - that is a western epic. This felt cartoony in comparison, especially because of how it looked (high contrast, and overly yellow/warm), and how some of the costumes were a bit too garish to be believable for the period. Some of the scenes just didn't feel right. 

However, the way it was shot was very interesting, with some shots looking straight out of an anime - in a good way. The story and characters were great throughout. Fair play to the actress playing Mog, that's a good Welsh accent.