Did you frequent arcades and what were the popular games?

Goemon

18 hours ago, bplus said:

147 members club in Belfast, a smokey dodgey shit hole.

Treasure trove on castle Street in Belfast, even worse. Though I saw street fighter 2 for first time in there and my mind was blown :)😂

Yes I used to go there for a few credits! Do you remember the Apollo arcade on Royal Ave? That was decent.  Also there used to be a few arcades in Smithfield around 1990 ish.

Holy shit, Mad Dog Mcree!  What a revelation.  Of course, simply using the same premise as Space Ace etc, but the flash of the gun disguising the switch in video tracks made it.  I also likes how the cowboy from Mad Dog MCrRee was also the Space Pirate in, erm, Space Pirates.  Then all the ALG stuff on CDi and 3DO. Completely impossible with a controller.  Even the Wii version seems impossible to play. 

4 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Yes I used to go there for a few credits! Do you remember the Apollo arcade on Royal Ave? That was decent.  Also there used to be a few arcades in Smithfield around 1990 ish.

Yes I remember appollo. It's was a bit fancier as far as I can remember! (I was ten / eleven)

Edit now I think about it I remember playing operation wolf or at least looking at it in an arcade beside Smithfield

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Yes I remember appollo. It's was a bit fancier as far as I can remember! (I was ten / eleven)

Edit now I think about it I remember playing operation wolf or at least looking at it in an arcade beside Smithfield

I remember playing xmen vs street fighter in the Apollo; I  think it was around 1996/7. I used to go to the tech near Smithfield, so those arcades where frequented at lunchtime, athough my college buddies were more into the fruit machines.

the 147 club was abit of a dive and I can remember going to it right in the middle of the troubles. I remember feeling fairly safe though, as there was a police station next door to it in Queen St.

Not sure if you remember the Model shop just across the road? I used to get some nice Jpn MD imports in there!

2 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

I remember playing xmen vs street fighter in the Apollo; I  think it was around 1996/7. I used to go to the tech near Smithfield, so those arcades where frequented at lunchtime, athough my college buddies were more into the fruit machines.

the 147 club was abit of a dive and I can remember going to it right in the middle of the troubles. I remember feeling fairly safe though, as there was a police station next door to it in Queen St.

Not sure if you remember the Model shop just across the road? I used to get some nice Jpn MD imports in there!

The model shop! Loved that place! And leisure world, fond memories going with my dad. And a and f corner for spectrum games, I remember seeing switch blade on an st in there and wanting something better than our spectrum.

Leisure world always seemed to be having smoke damage sales due to various bombings I think.

147 was probably more dangerous due to police station in a way: badly aimed mortar attack could be an issue :) thing is I grew up in fairly central Belfast in the 80s and 90s, the weirdness of the troubles is only apparent to me in hindsight (and because I don't live there anymore).

Centre of Belfast could be well dodgey at times. Back then it was no man's land in the evenings.

I really miss Belfast and want to move back, unfortunately my wife thinks n ireland is too bonkers, sees the recent rioting and thinks no thanks. I prefer life there.

3 hours ago, bplus said:

The model shop! Loved that place! And leisure world, fond memories going with my dad. And a and f corner for spectrum games, I remember seeing switch blade on an st in there and wanting something better than our spectrum.

Leisure world always seemed to be having smoke damage sales due to various bombings I think.

147 was probably more dangerous due to police station in a way: badly aimed mortar attack could be an issue :) thing is I grew up in fairly central Belfast in the 80s and 90s, the weirdness of the troubles is only apparent to me in hindsight (and because I don't live there anymore).

Centre of Belfast could be well dodgey at times. Back then it was no man's land in the evenings.

I really miss Belfast and want to move back, unfortunately my wife thinks n ireland is too bonkers, sees the recent rioting and thinks no thanks. I prefer life there.

Leisure world - the Hamleys of Belfast! Bought a few G&W’s there (pop eye and DK dual screen). Remember EDCO in Queen st? Bought my Atari STFM there. I didn’t have much fear back in the 80s/90s but had a few rough times in the city centre.

don’t remember A and f corner though. Where was that?

10 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Leisure world - the Hamleys of Belfast! Bought a few G&W’s there (pop eye and DK dual screen). Remember EDCO in Queen st? Bought my Atari STFM there. I didn’t have much fear back in the 80s/90s but had a few rough times in the city centre.

don’t remember A and f corner though. Where was that?

Hamleys of Belfast , ha ha ha!

Christ just googled a and f corner , it was there since 1938 on Shaftesbury square!?

It may have closed down some time in 80s or early 90s or renamed or something.

https://m.facebook.com/oldbelfastphotographs/photos/a.1729512510611138/1805819566313765/?type=3

Edco rings a bell , not sure I visited it. Maybe my dad took me there.

This is all making homesick and nostalgic.

I started back in the 70s. Our school had an annual day trip, and it seemed to always be to Blackpool, for some reason - so I'd hang around the arcades playing a mix of early video games like Space War, Boot Hill, Night Driver, and the like, or electro-mechanical games (like the hillbilly rifle range). Any time the family went on a seaside outing, I would do the same - being ex-pat Scots, that would also be to Blackpool, for some reason. MacMecca...

Otherwise, as a teen, there would be single machines dotted around in youth clubs, chippies, or even pubs and Student Union bars as we started going in underage. We didn't have an arcade in the town where I grew up, but we did have a pool hall frequented by the delinquent kids. Asteroids, Defender, Space Invaders, Tempest, Donkey Kong, Pleiades, Gorf, Galaxian, Scramble, Moon Cresta, Joust ... man, the early 80s was full of great, simple arcade games.

But I played most video games as a student in the mid-80s; each hall of residence my mates lived in would have a couple in the hallways, there would be more in the bars, and there was a small collection of pinball machines and cabs near the main Union bar. International Karate, Gravatar, Star Wars, Time Pilot, SlapFight, Jackal, 

Same in any Student Union you visited. Plus this was London, so we'd also head to the Goodge Street or Leicester Square arcades of a Saturday afternoon for a bit of 4-player Gauntlet action, or to try out a hydraulic cab...