Joe Lycett - question - not asking for spoilers

Clipper

When I initially saw clips of his standup on apollo et al I found his delivery grating and I didn't bother watching him or seeking him out etc. As time went on he was around more on tv and I have seen more of him here and there and I've been more impressed with him and I probably judged him too harshly.

The new standup/show tour "More more more" apparently had a clever construct or device underlying it which took him a long while to realise and the whole thing is intriguing. Now it's available from his website for a tenner and I wondered if anyone had seen the show and if it was worth a watch?

Obviously not asking for spoilers and not googling for that same reason. And am aware that part of the spoiler might be talking about the show at all in which case this thread may get no replies.

I saw him years ago at Bristol Comedy Garden on the same bill as Adam Buxton, I thought he was fantastic. I’d not heard of him before then.

The only reason I mention it is if you listen to the ep of Buxton’s podcast where he is interviewing Lycett, AB describes it as the worst gig he’s ever done, for various reasons. I thought it was pretty good!

3 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I enjoyed him on Taskmaster but his series had Hugh Dennis in, so I’ll never rewatch any of his episodes. 🤮

This thing at the moment with David Beckham is embarrassing though.

Why is it embarrassing?

David Beckham is probably the biggest money grabbing whore in the world, he deserves plenty of shit for taking money from Qatar.

29 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Why is it embarrassing?

David Beckham is probably the biggest money grabbing whore in the world, he deserves plenty of shit for taking money from Qatar.

“I will shred ten grand if you don’t do what I say” is petty beyond belief, and that’s before factoring in the cost of living crisis.

48 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

That's probably not far from the truth.

Joe Lycett's stunt is just that though, and if he does follow through with the threat he's a dick. Destroying money at a time when many people are struggling to get by is a horrible thing to do. It wouldn't be good at the best of times. And these aren't them.

Beckham couldn't care less about ten grand, or whatever causes he's agreed to be a champion of. It will not affect him in the slightest either way.

I admire the attempt to punch up. It just doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Joe Lycett's stunt is just that though, and if he does follow through with the threat he's a dick. Destroying money at a time when many people are struggling to get by is a horrible thing to do. It wouldn't be good at the best of times. And these aren't them.

Beckham couldn't care less about ten grand, or whatever causes he's agreed to be a champion of. It will not affect him in the slightest either way.

I admire the attempt to punch up. It just doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

I think it’s a great. The 10k threat means it gets covered in the media, thus bringing Qatar’s treatment of LGBT people, and David Beckham’s taking of money from Qatar, to the fore again.

Lycett has shown himself to be quite a savvy media operator recently, he won’t burn the 10k.

My wife works for a gardening charity in Birmingham, he popped around the other week and donated all of the plants from his recent tour, which was nice.

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

What's wrong with Hugh Dennis? Has he done something terrible?

I've no idea on his political views (or anyones, for that matter) but I just find him chronically unfunny. When he does that bit on [I think] Mock the Week where they take turns telling jokes and it invovles awkwardly trying to get to the microphone first, his delivery annoys me so much.

27 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I've no idea on his political views (or anyones, for that matter) but I just find him chronically unfunny. When he does that bit on [I think] Mock the Week where they take turns telling jokes and it invovles awkwardly trying to get to the microphone first, his delivery annoys me so much.

Ah phew, he's just unfunny. I don't watch Mock The Week although I did like him back in The Mary Whitehouse Experience. Milky milky and all that.

On 16/11/2022 at 07:01, MarkN said:

Seems like he has gone through with it

51 minutes ago, Hamus said:

He obviously hasn't shredded £10k when people are struggling. Absolutely no way.

So why do it? It seems a strange thing to do all round.

Because as @Ste_Ssaid:

On 16/11/2022 at 09:05, Ste_S said:

I think it’s a great. The 10k threat means it gets covered in the media, thus bringing Qatar’s treatment of LGBT people, and David Beckham’s taking of money from Qatar, to the fore again.

On 16/11/2022 at 06:43, disperse and recoagulate said:

“I will shred ten grand if you don’t do what I say” is petty beyond belief, and that’s before factoring in the cost of living crisis.

Destroying money in a cost of living crisis is a nice thing to do to be honest - if we destroyed £1bn of cash tomorrow everyone's money would go a hell of a lot further. Prices might fall too.

17 hours ago, Festoon said:

10000 wouldn't buy you a shitty music video. People get upset about weird things.

I don't want a shitty music video.

£10,000 would pay off all my credit card debt, the money I owe to my folks (who are now short of cash), and leave me a little as a rainy day fund. But I count myself as fairly fortunate because I have a job and a roof over my head. To someone who has neither I think shredding 10 grand would look fucking grotesque.

It's funny the conclusions that some people are taking from this stunt.

Whether the cash was real or not, he was shredding his own stuff for an important cause he believes in.

People clutching their pearls because he's not spending his money in the way they think is right is the sort of diversionary shite I expect from the Mail. There are far, far more obscene uses of money that surround us every day - where rich people use money that is not even theirs for purely selfish reasons - yet it's little old Joe Lycett who is acting grotesque.

I mean, Joe has put himself up against David Beckham here - an uber rich royal bootlicker who takes obscene money from corrupt governments. Joe looks like fucking Mother Teresa here.

I know we're all starting to take a dim view to embedding tweets, so I won't, but he has posted a new video today confirming that he has not shredded real cash and actually donated £10,000 to a LGBTQ+ charity before even starting this whole thing.

17 minutes ago, NickC said:

People clutching their pearls because he's not spending his money in the way they think is right is the sort of diversionary shite I expect from the Mail.

To be fair, saying that you'll only donate to a worthy cause if conditions are met is also the sort of diversionary shite you'd expect from the Mail.

Fortunatley he didn't mean it.

I think it's achieved its purpose, and Lycett's earned a lot of goodwill over the years anyway.