Game and Watch screen issues

MattyP

So I got my Game and Watch out of the box and bought some batteries to give it a test/play and the screen is that feint I cannot see anything on it! :)

On further research it appears the polarising film on the screens has degraded over time so its not working as expected. Looking at the screens with some polarising sunglasses and I can again see the things on screen.

DIgging around found this video. If you have a Game And Watch whose screen is fading maybe worth a try? Going to order a polarising sheet at some point and try and fix it.

Anyone else had issues with old G&W screens? 

I was pleasantly surprised that none of the 30+ Game and Watches I sold recently had this issue. It was precisely concerns about this that encouraged me to sell up, I can see this and other issues causing problems with older tech in the not too distant future. 

Sorry not to be helpful but it does seem to still be thankfully rare still. 

5 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I was pleasantly surprised that none of the 30+ Game and Watches I sold recently had this issue. It was precisely concerns about this that encouraged me to sell up, I can see this and other issues causing problems with older tech in the not too distant future. 

Sorry not to be helpful but it does seem to still be thankfully rare still. 

:) Weird thing about mine is that its been boxed most of its life and then recently put on display....not really played it recently though I expect the plastic polarising bit of the screen has biodegraded over the years!

I'll have a go at fixing it .. only cost me £3 from a charity shop some 25 years ago! :) It's a 1983 Donkey Kong 2 dual screen!