Did woke reviewers scupper Days Gone?

bear

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/days-gone-director-blames-middling-reviews-on-woke-reviewers-and-tech-issues/

John Garvin tweeted this theory in response to a fan asking why he thought the post-apocalyptic PS4 biker game didn’t get more praise when it was first released in 2019.

“Three reasons,” Garvin replied. “1) It had tech issues like bugs, streaming and frame rate.

“2) It had reviewers who couldn’t be bothered to actually play the game. 3) And three, it had woke reviewers who couldn’t handle a gruff white biker looking at his date’s ass.”

Well then is he right? Did wokery blind reviewers to the masterpiece Bend had created? 

Or is this guy a dumbass?

What an idiot. He could have stopped at 1 and shown some humility. It was pretty well received if I remember, even on here, and we are the very wokest of them all.

Wasn't he also recently complaining about not being allowed to make a sequel or something? Like getting to work on new IP is some sort of punishment. (But maybe it was Woke IP?)

While this sounds like some demented right wing take on it, I do actually seem to remember some reviewers complaining in their twitter feeds about Deacon being some gruff white guy at the time.

Regardless, the reviewers got this one wrong. Days Gone was an excellent game, and this dude acting like a dolt now won't change that - though it might poison the well against it some more.

I really enjoyed Days Gone and was surprised to find out that it had reviewed very averagely.

I've seen lots of comments (not least here on the forum) from people saying they couldn't stand the main characters. I don't think it's anything to do with them being 'woke', they just didn't enjoy the characters for whatever reason.
Other main crticisms seem to be that it wasn't very original (which is fair) and that it took too long to get going (also fair). There was also criticism that the main gimmick - the hordes - weren't even in the game until the final third. I actually found the hordes to be the least enjoyable part of the game, so that didnt bother me.

7 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

What an idiot. He could have stopped at 1 and shown some humility. It was pretty well received if I remember, even on here, and we are the very wokest of them all.

Wasn't he also recently complaining about not being allowed to make a sequel or something? Like getting to work on new IP is some sort of punishment. (But maybe it was Woke IP?)

I think he was spouting off stats about how the game had reached some massive amount of players and making it sound like it had sold way more than most people had previously thought. When people looked more closely at his phrasing it became clear he was including people claiming it through PS Plus in his sales figures. 

The weird thing is that Garvin's apparent views don't really come through in the game, which is generally fairly respectful of its characters. Did he write it for a different audience? Did being let go radicalise him into being yet another copy-paste right-winger?

Anyway, it's a good game. Not too surprising this guy was fired, though.

item 1 killed it. I suspect those of us who had a more positive experience got in via PS Plus or the PS5 game collection down the line.

And even then I recall there being a whole lot of trekking around a wilderness and nothing much really happens for quite a long time, so your reaction will depend on how often (and when last) you play this sort of game.

But I did play a fair bit. A *long* time after launch.

If reviewers can't be bothered to play a game, is that the reviewer's fault? Or is it the developer's fault for making a game that reviewers can't be bothered to play?

I couldn't be bothered to play Days Gone, either. I downloaded it but it just seemed like another generic open world checkpoint 'em-up and I quickly lost interest. People on here told me the story gets more interesting once you get into it a little way, but I never went back to find out. Couldn't be bothered. 

Twitter is such an inappropriate medium for these comments, would have been a much greater tribute to Days Gone if John Garvin shouted them loudly while skulking in a bush. 

‘YEAH AND THREE IT HAD WOKE REVIEWERS HA HA YOU SONS OF BITCHES’ as you creep on a wrongun to garrotte them. Ah Deek, you unhinged loon.

This guy's always popping up with some new reason why it didn't do as well as it "should have" and every time he sounds like a toxic influence. In the last round of pity interviews he pretty much out and out says that he got let go, not because Days Gone wasn't good enough, but because he's a prick.

I thought it was a great game when I played and finished it on PS5. Luckily it passed me by when it first came out so I got to see it at its best. 

From what I’ve read it was broken at release, so he’s nobody to blame but himself. As others have said, anyone using “woke” as an insult is usually a knob. 

Played it as part of PSPlus and was actually pretty impressed until an early section where you have to fight infant zombies. And that was me done. Not due to wokeness, just an old man having less tolerance for graphic horror.

I thought the reason it had done badly initially with reviewers was down to bugs wasn't it?

If you base a character on yourself, who is basically a guy hitting a mid life crisis and needs a motorcycle to validate him and THEN hear that people think that character is a bit of a dick then ohhhh I guess it smarts.

I assume.

2 minutes ago, DualSense said:

I think theyd be better described as preteen to early teens rather than infants. There appearance was pretty shocking.

I just remember my visceral reaction being “nope” back to home page and delete.

Not trying to make it a moral thing, it’s just a taste thing. Had a similar issue with The Medium. In my 20’s I would have been fine with it.

I do remember finding a lot of the discourse from 20-something San Franciscan game critics quite annoying at the time. E.g. the too much water reviewer from Gamespot (who now works at Polygon) spoiled the ending on a podcast without warning, because she was so convinced a line of dialogue clearly meant in jest was deadly serious and that everyone would agree with her once she spilled it. Which isn't really on. But it's a pure 6/10 game (maybe a 7 on PC/PS5) and that guy has been nothing but an arse about it for years now. It's an odd game, I think I platinumed it, I'd recommend it, but only as an average experience to fill some time. The story isn't very good, but Sam Witwer elevates the writing somewhat with his performance. I think a sequel could have been more of a must-play but now we'll never know, because the guy whining about "woke game critics" is, of course, fucking around with blockchain and cryptocurrency bullshit these days.