Did woke reviewers scupper Days Gone?

bear

There isn't really, the child zombies are tasteless but that's about it. I know at least one of the reviewers he's talking about, and it really seemed to me like the relationship between a dumb meathead arsehole and a clever science lady didn't sit right with her. When in reality relationships have all sorts of class/intelligence/career dynamics. They wanted the main character to be straight out of Sons of Anarchy and ride a bike, and they needed his wife to be a scientist lady because that's the storyline. It's an unusual pairing, but they're both fleshed-out characters and there's a good 90 mins or so throughout the game explaining their relationship.  I actually thought it was a welcome touch to make his wife more intelligent than him and in no need of rescuing. Sure it falls right into a few of the usual tropes but if anything, he's the bimbo. And he knows it.

It doesn't really warrant this much conversation though, as soon as you look at things in any detail the algorithm diverts you towards scum of the earth types like "the quartering" because nobody else benefits from regurgitating this kind of nonsense. 

Edit: here ya go

I didn’t play days gone because it looked incredibly bland and had a marketing campaign that made it look shit. A lot of the positivity that I’ve heard since has been about the story, but people seem to enjoy the story in god of war and horizon and assassins fucking creed so I’m never going to play a game on that basis, given that I can count how many games I’ve enjoyed because of their story on my fingers. 

Luckily, this bellend has just ensured that I’ll never bother with it, so that’ll save me being disappointed by another shit story. 

I played it in April 2020, so about a year after it came out? By then it had been patched about 10 times, and was an ideal lockdown game. I really enjoyed it. BUT the best thing about Days Gone is the challenge mode. It's basically the best parts of the game distilled into an arcadey experience. The horde modes where you just have to hold out for as long as possible are really good. Playing it on PS5 at 60fps is terrific. I chucked up a short video below after the PS5 launch to show how solid the frame rate and performance was, it blew up for some reason (the video, not the PS5 😅) But it'll give you a taster of how it plays.

The actual game itself was really good, but the story moved slow and could have used some editing. I'd never replay it, way too bloated. Challenge mode though, i'd recommend to anyone.

12 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I played it in April 2020, so about a year after it came out? By then it had been patched about 10 times, and was an ideal lockdown game. I really enjoyed it. BUT the best thing about Days Gone is the challenge mode. It's basically the best parts of the game distilled into an arcadey experience. The horde modes where you just have to hold out for as long as possible are really good. Playing it on PS5 at 60fps is terrific. I chucked up a short video below after the PS5 launch to show how solid the frame rate and performance was, it blew up for some reason (the video, not the PS5 😅) But it'll give you a taster of how it plays.

The actual game itself was really good, but the story moved slow and could have used some editing. I'd never replay it, way too bloated. Challenge mode though, i'd recommend to anyone.

How does the frame rate hold up when you look at your date’s ass?

I can understand his initial annoyance at people loving it on PSPlus rather than at full price but that's the unfairness of the arts. Sometimes you make great stuff that people won't recognise until after its commercial life.

But as a creative you then have a second bite at the cherry.

You can say "Hey guys, I noticed you really liked our game. We really poured out life and soul into it, if you liked that you might like the new thing I'm working on or these previous works that are available in these marketplaces."

This works sometimes.

Or you can take the brave approach I guess and lambast your potential customers with "listen up you cheap woke fucks. You didn't deserve that game you played on PSPlus. If you didn't buy it retail day one then screw you! Oh, and maybe buy my shit?"

Which I guess might have worked in a very narrow time period in the 90's?

39 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

If Days Gone were a band it'd be Coldplay. Loads of fans but also the most bland, derivative, generic bullshit imaginable.

How much did you play the game, cos I'd agree with you for more time then is acceptable at the start (when will more devs realise that like an advert the first few hours are meant to draw people in and not repel them) but it does eventually become a genuinely great game for the majority of it's runtime, I assure you.

Then again I do like some Coldplay stuff, so what the fuck do I know.

What I remember about the time I spent playing it:

The main character keeps having sort of mini breakdowns and screaming at the radio or just at the sky, out of frustration about his general situation, or something. It was really annoying.

An open-world vehicle-based game where you only get one vehicle (I think) - Sure I get it, it was a biker game and bikers have their one bike that they love, rather than a fleet of vehicles like some millionaire criminal playboy might have at his disposal. But in the context of a game it still makes it dull when you have to go everywhere using the same mode of transport. 

The towns and settlements seemed flat - maybe this was me coming to it after I'd been playing a Bethesda game or something where towns and settlements have a range of interesting characters, missions, shops, things to do, etc. Here it was like the settlements just have no-name NPCs wandering around aimlessly, one shop, one mission-giver etc. 

Hordes of zombies were fun but they were flawed in one way, which was that they either had invisible barriers they wouldn't cross when chasing you, or they would only chase you a certain distance and then gave up. Can't quite remember exactly how it worked. But it took a lot of fear out of the situation due to the fact that you always knew that if you did something wrong and alerted a horde, all you would have to do is run for long enough in one direction and after a minute or so you'd be safe. You could then return to the danger area and everything would have gone back to exactly the way it was before you alerted them. I know this is game design, and it's hard to make games where making little errors like this have real long-lasting consequences on your game, but but the mechanics were just too transparent, which ruined an otherwise well-engineered game. 

27 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

What I remember about the time I spent playing it:

The main character keeps having sort of mini breakdowns and screaming at the radio or just at the sky, out of frustration about his general situation, or something. It was really annoying.

An open-world vehicle-based game where you only get one vehicle (I think) - Sure I get it, it was a biker game and bikers have their one bike that they love, rather than a fleet of vehicles like some millionaire criminal playboy might have at his disposal. But in the context of a game it still makes it dull when you have to go everywhere using the same mode of transport. 

The towns and settlements seemed flat - maybe this was me coming to it after I'd been playing a Bethesda game or something where towns and settlements have a range of interesting characters, missions, shops, things to do, etc. Here it was like the settlements just have no-name NPCs wandering around aimlessly, one shop, one mission-giver etc. 

Hordes of zombies were fun but they were flawed in one way, which was that they either had invisible barriers they wouldn't cross when chasing you, or they would only chase you a certain distance and then gave up. Can't quite remember exactly how it worked. But it took a lot of fear out of the situation due to the fact that you always knew that if you did something wrong and alerted a horde, all you would have to do is run for long enough in one direction and after a minute or so you'd be safe. You could then return to the danger area and everything would have gone back to exactly the way it was before you alerted them. I know this is game design, and it's hard to make games where making little errors like this have real long-lasting consequences on your game, but but the mechanics were just too transparent, which ruined an otherwise well-engineered game. 

The breakdowns are hilarious jank, they’re part of what makes it a good 6-7/10 game. 

That and the BOOZEMAN of course. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

If Days Gone were a band it'd be Coldplay. Loads of fans but also the most bland, derivative, generic bullshit imaginable.

46 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

How much did you play the game, cos I'd agree with you for more time then is acceptable at the start (when will more devs realise that like an advert the first few hours are meant to draw people in and not repel them) but it does eventually become a genuinely great game for the majority of it's runtime, I assure you.

Coldplay are one of the worst bands to have ever existed. 
Day's Gone was one of the best videogames in the year of it's release. 

These are not the same thing. 

I maintain that any game that takes ten hrs to "get going" - or anymore than 10 minutes - is doing itself no favours at best and is a shit game at worst.

EDIT - see also games that go on too long. They have a gameplay mechanic and loop , it works and is enjoyable but has a lifespan. Sadly the narrative the games makers have come up with means the gameplay outstays its welcome.

53 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

The first 8 hours or so twice. I bought it not long after it came out, didn't really click and traded it back at CEX. Then when it came to Plus I tried it again and kind of liked it a bit more.because I knew what it was but it still didn't grab me. It's just a stew of every video game mechanic ever with a protagonist I can see a seam of good in but ultimately seems like a petulent bell end.

Also I like Fix You by Beige: The Band. :)

I've started this game a few times and play a few hours and then stop.

My main issue is that the playable character is such a complete tosser that I can't take it anymore. He is such an idiotic, self-centered, narcissistic   moron who thinks that his way of existing is infinitely more important than anyone else's. 

He is exactly the sort of person I actively try to avoid in RL.

25 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I maintain that any game that takes ten hrs to "get going" - or anymore than 10 minutes - is doing itself no favours at best and is a shit game at worst.

EDIT - see also games that go on too long. They have a gameplay mechanic and loop , it works and is enjoyable but has a lifespan. Sadly the narrative the games makers have come up with means the gameplay outstays its welcome.

Counterpoint - narrative length is often nothing to do with the narrative the team want to tell, or the 'games makers' as in the dev team - it's so often a sop to the publisher. I've literally been in pitch meetings where we've been told that the publisher is only signing games of 12 hours plus, and our narrative will need to meet that if we want funding, so can we put in grind mechanics to pad everything out?

It might be nice to be able to stick to your guns and say that the narrative won't work at that length, but then you won't get signed and won't be able to make the game.

Given that Days Gone was a Sony exclusive and from what I can tell is more or less the same template as their other exclusive action adventure games, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the game started out as something much tighter, narrative wise. That's pure speculation though - I've never played it and have no firsthand knowledge of its development. It might just as easily be that the woke-hating director was pushing for a boring, drawn-out story all along.

I think it's a good thing for realistic games where you kill many, many people to have protagonists that are somewhat sociopathic. I find that easier to accept than someone who's supposed to be really likeable and a good egg.

20 hours ago, bear said:

'Woke’ is a term that originally referred to those aware of social injustices such as racism, sexism and all other forms of discrimination. In recent times, however, it’s been adopted as a catch-all term by right-leaning people to refer to those who favour progressive political ideas.

I read that in Stewart Lee's voice, especially the pause at "however"

12 minutes ago, Benny said:

Tell me you're talking about Nathan Drake without saying you mean Nathan Drake.

Or Lara Croft in rebootRaider. Oh god I just had to kill a beautiful deer, life is soooo precious. 5 mins later sticks ice pick in a guys throat.

But Nathan Drake is the funniest example... Hey Sully... Hey Drake (insert funny buddy stuff here) then switch to gameplay and Drake kills 27 guys in a small chest high wall ridden area :D

He must be the most uncool video games character in all of history. Baseball cap worn sideways? Double denim? Yeah who wants to play as the drummer of Metallica from the 90s. They should’ve done same skins so he could’ve been a cool biker, like Kaneda off Akira or the lad from Paperboy.

The scariest thing about Drake is that at least Lara looks a bit tortured about it at first, before she really embraces the killing.

But Drake just mows brown people down, then puts on that Tom Cruise smile and heads back home in time to play Crash Bandicoot with Elena in cutesy domestic bliss.

Terrifying.

I've never even been able to make it very far into youtube letsplays of DG, mainly because the main character sounds like a creepy nutjob half the time. I'd say the VA does a fine job during actual proper dialogue, but the in-game 'barks' seem to have him muttering to himself nonstop like he's just escaped from a war veterans mental hospital. Which might well fit the character and the tone they were after, but it isnt tolerable for any amount of time.

1 hour ago, Masterbeef said:

I've started this game a few times and play a few hours and then stop.

My main issue is that the playable character is such a complete tosser that I can't take it anymore. He is such an idiotic, self-centered, narcissistic   moron who thinks that his way of existing is infinitely more important than anyone else's. 

He is exactly the sort of person I actively try to avoid in RL.

I think that makes you woke going by the creator's comments.