IGNORED

Do you tend to watch films all in one go or over several sittings?

I started off this year with an aim of watching one film per week, but I've very quickly failed. I think the main reason for this is that I find it difficult to set aside a full two hours (or, as seems to be increasingly the case, longer) to sit and watch a film. I don't get that amount of free time on week nights, certainly, and even at the weekend it's a struggle because I'm normally so knackered that being sat still not doing anything for longer than an hour means I'm likely to just nod off or not pay attention properly (I'm getting old, I know).

This is why I prefer to play games, as you can pause whenever you like and pick them up the next day, or watch TV shows, where I can get through an episode of something most evenings. Typically, on a Saturday night (if I'm not out and about tearing up the town :mellow:), I'll look at the unwatched Blu-Rays on my shelf, or at the films on my watchlists on various streaming services, and unless there's something which is 100 minutes or less, it's likely that I'll just not bother and go back to the game I'm playing or the series I'm watching instead.

However, I still want to watch more films, because films are great, and I feel like I've missed out on a load of stuff that's come out over the last five years. I want to be more knowledgeable about films and be one of those film guys who's watched loads of stuff, old and new. And, with so much that's readily available nowadays, it seems easier to do this now than it ever has been before.

As such, I had the entirely original idea of watching one half of a film one night and then...(wait for it) watching the second half the next night, stopping at what I deem to be a natural pausing point in the narrative. If I wanted to get really crazy, and if it's an especially long film, I might even watch it over three sittings! Imagine that.

What do you lot do? Do you deem watching films in this way a sacrilege, as it disrupts the flow of the story and destroys the tension that has been building from the very start, or do you feel that it's a necessary practice nowadays, when the average run-time of most films seems to veer closer to 150 minutes than 90? Do you have a movie night each week, which you dedicate to a film no matter what, maybe with your partner, friend or offspring? Or do you just not watch long films and watch 80 minute indie horror movie all the time instead?

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Or do you just not watch long films and watch 80 minute indie horror movie all the time instead?

I've definitely had plenty of evenings where I've wanted to watch a movie but have instead stuck on an episode of a TV show instead simply because it's shorter. Of course I've also had evenings where I've then gone on to watch a second or a third episode and could have just watched the movie in the first place.

In general I think everything is too long these days. Movies are regularly coming in at two and a half hours and even TV shows seem to be weighing in at an hour. There was nothing wrong with two-hour movies and 45-minute TV shows and the sooner we get back to that, the better.

Up until a few months ago I watched more than one film each day on average since the end of 2019. Thanks Covid :wub:

Right now I log about four per week on Letterboxd. On some occasions I just watch something to completion in the evening, provided the running time is around 1.5 hours. But I do tend to split up longer films. In most cases I watch roughly one half somewhere in the morning/afternoon and then finish in the evening (the benefits of working from home). But I'm also not against watching over multiple evenings if necessary. I always try to make sure to choose a seemingly logical point to stop though. 

The tresshold to watch movies has become much lower this way and I've basically stopped resorting to TV shows when time is short. Films generally are a much more fullfilling use of my free time compared to TV. 

9 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

Up until a few months ago I watched more than one film each day on average since the end of 2019. Thanks Covid :wub:

Right now I log about four per week on Letterboxd. On some occasions I just watch something to completion in the evening, provided the running time is around 1.5 hours. But I do tend to split up longer films. In most cases I watch roughly one half somewhere in the morning/afternoon and then finish in the evening (the benefits of working from home). But I'm also not against watching over multiple evenings if necessary. I always try to make sure to choose a seemingly logical point to stop though. 

The tresshold to watch movies has become much lower this way and I've basically stopped resorting to TV shows when time is short. Films generally are a much more fullfilling use of my free time compared to TV. 

Do you find it breaks the tension and so on, splitting it up like that?

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Before we had a kid: watched films in one go

After we had a kid: we watch films like a mini-series

This, sometimes anyway. Wakanda Forever took three sittings, although in that particular case I think it actually improved the experience.

Given the choice I'd much rather watch a film all in one go though.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Do you find it breaks the tension and so on, splitting it up like that?

Not really when watching it all on the same day (I don't mind intermissions in cinema either). But when I have to spread something out over mutiple evenings I do try to pick relatively lighter fare (pure action, comedy etc). 

Always in one sitting. If I know the film is going to be long I plan my time in order to watch it all in one go. So if it's 2.5-3hrs long, 9pm is the latest I'll start it. The only time I ever break films up is if I fall asleep during them or the kids get up and getting them back to sleep takes up time.

I'm someone that's perfectly happy to go see a long film in one go in the cinema without the need for intermissions and I'll happily sit and watch the whole 4hrs of a LOTR Extended Edition in one go.

Always in one sitting, but this often means that there are some films that I don't get around to for ages. I put off The Batman for a long time because of the 176min runtime. :blush: However, I can see sense in breaking a film up into several sessions, even though I try not to do it myself.

God, sometimes it takes weeks to finish a film. I think when I watched Aliens again recently it was in 3 parts over about 9 weeks.

But usually we manage longer films in 2 sittings, and “movies” in one go.

11 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Always in one sitting, but this often means that there are some films that I don't get around to for ages. I put off The Batman for a long time because of the 176min runtime. :blush: However, I can see sense in breaking a film up into several sessions, even though I try not to do it myself.

Maybe 2 sittings over a couple of nights, but over several just seems so bizarre to me. It breaks the flow and if like pastry you're taken weeks to get through one film, you'd probably forget the little details.

One sitting if watching alone or multiple sessions if watching with my partner. She tends to manage around an hour before her eyes close and stay closed!

I tend to have one eye on the film and one on her so that I can hit pause as soon as possible, otherwise I'll end up having to rewatch half an hour the next day.

I used to watch every film in one sitting. When I was a kid and if I had to stop a film for some reason and couldn’t watch it until the next day, I would start from the beginning again. Even if I was an hour and a half into a two hour movie.

These days, I have less time, so have no problem splitting films in two. Like @Jamie John, I pick a natural point in the film’s structure to pause it. Having said that, I still do prefer to watch films in one go, but I’m more relaxed about it if I can’t.

I basically work my viewing habits like this: Do I have two hours or so to watch something? Then I’ll watch a film, well, unless there’s some streaming series I want to catch up on. I don’t like breaking up viewings of films – last time I did that was when I watched Once Upon a Time in America, which is approaching 4 hours long, and sort-of broken up into chapters.