rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
DJ Sack

Friends

If I had my way, this would be a dark drama showing how all of them have failed in life. 

Phoebe would be a broken alcoholic after Mike died in a car crash. 

Ross and Rachel got married, but it failed and are now stuck in a hateful divorce and Emma hates both of them. 

Joey is living at home, caring for his dad. His mum died and his dad had a heart attack. Joey's acting career collapsed. 

Monica and Chandler are still together, but in a loveless marriage for the sake of the twins. 

Now that, I'd watch. 

• Upvote 7

A Central Perk franchise on every corner of every city in the world bitterly reminding them of simpler, happier times

• Upvote 3

The show would be based around them all coming back together at the funeral for Ross and Monica's dad, Jack. They would realise that after they all drifted their separate ways when Monica and Chandler left, their support network collapsed and over the course of the funeral, they become friends again, realising what they lost etc etc. 

There would also be giant cups with nipples on them. 

46 minutes ago, APM said:

If I had my way, this would be a dark drama showing how all of them have failed in life. 

Ross and Rachel got married, but it failed and are now stuck in a hateful divorce and Emma hates both of them. 

Joey is living at home, caring for his dad. His mum died and his dad had a heart attack. Joey's acting career collapsed. 

Monica and Chandler are still together, but in a loveless marriage for the sake of the twins. 

Now that, I'd watch. 

A bit like the new Star Wars trilogy then

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

A bit like the new Star Wars trilogy then

Yes, but at some point Joey would end up with a turkey on his head, but this time on purpose because he can't face the world any more and it's the only way he can think to kill himself. 

This is the kind of thing where part of you wants it to happen as you think it'd be fun to see these people that were (for many) a part of growing up, but really you don't because you know it's in all likelihood going to be poor/cringey/contrived/weird.

5 hours ago, APM said:

Now that, I'd watch. 

And Ross being a psychopath

....that eventually gets fired from his job for inappropriate behavior towards female colleagues.  

21 hours ago, pledge said:

For $2.5M each I'm sure HBO Max are going to want them in character, not just doing a Q&A.

It’ll be a shitty panel thing with the actors looking back at clips and telling behind the scenes stories again.

• Upvote 3

It’s an expensive advert for the show now it’s on HBO Prime when it’s revival seems to have been the ease of access people had when it was on Netflix. Anyone expecting more that what grindmouse has described is going to be disappointed.

29 minutes ago, ryodi said:

It’s an expensive advert for the show now it’s on HBO Prime when it’s revival seems to have been the ease of access people had when it was on Netflix. Anyone expecting more that what grindmouse has described is going to be disappointed.

Yeah, the actors were getting an easy million dollars an episode back when the show ended. I imagine that $2.5m is easily negotiable just for getting back together for a retrospective behind the scenes special. 

I mean, HBO have purposely made it opaque as to what the special is but it will just be some interviews and clips.  Hopefully, however, better than the Inbetweeners attempt. 

At very best there may be a short skit of them in character.  Even that I doubt. 

I'm not looking forward to this. I love watching friends all year round and it ends really well. 

I dont want them spoiling anything like Prison Break did. 

I will watch it though.

No good can come of this. It will absolutely not to live up to expectations and hype. It can only disappoint. It is an extremely cynical exercise.

I'd like to have seen a genuine episode, set 15 years or so after the last one with real positive stories for the characters. Would make a nice change. 

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

I'd like to have seen a genuine episode, set 15 years or so after the last one with real positive stories for the characters. Would make a nice change. 

In Joey's case it would be more like 13 years after his last appearance.

Remember Joey? I think I watched its first 3-4 episodes. :mellow: Did anyone here keep watching until it ended?

2 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Remember Joey? I think I watched its first 3-4 episodes. :mellow: Did anyone here keep watching until it ended?

It seemed ok from memory - apparently season 2 was better but never aired over here.

I’m amazed they don’t show it alongside reruns of Friends.

I didn't realise there were episodes I haven't seen. I'm even more surprised that some episodes got their first airing in Ireland on RTE2.

I'm hoping it continues the day after the original ending but they all look 20 years older for no apparent reason. Only Gunther seems to notice this and thinks he is going mad as he probably looks the same as he did during the original run.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Nick R said:

It took a while for the characters to find their feet but once it stopped trying to be a new group of Friends it was quite charming. It was a bit try hard at times and not as consistently funny, but it started to hit a stride before it was cancelled. I quite enjoyed it.

10 hours ago, spork said:

I'm hoping it continues the day after the original ending but they all look 20 years older for no apparent reason. Only Gunther seems to notice this and thinks he is going mad as he probably looks the same as he did during the original run.

Opens with Joey still staring out through that rain pane in the flat :lol:

20 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

It's just going to be an interview , dont set your hope's too high..

I'm sure I read that the cast were being paid about 2.5 million dollars each to do it, which seems an awful lot for an interview.

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm sure I read that the cast were being paid about 2.5 million dollars each to do it, which seems an awful lot for an interview.

It is just the novelty of having them all back together in the same room, which hasn't ever happened on TV since the show ended. 

Effectively, the cost of this 'special' is just part of HBO Max advertising budget. It is unlikely any other single announcement would have garnered the press coverage HBO MAX has obtained so far (assisted by the fact a lot of people do think it is a proper new episode). 

Given that HBO Max have paid $425m for the streaming rights to the series, this endeavour is not the most expensive piece of advertising for the service in the grand scheme.