The Metal recommendations thread

Lovelyman

If you liked In Flames probably worth checking out stuff by Soilwork.

Got some reccomendations :

Stamping Ground - A New Darkness Upon Us (hardcore, but not screechy. london band)

Zyklon - World of Worms ( black metal, some of Emperor in band)

Deranged - Deranged

Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium

Gorgoroth - Destroyer or about how to philosophize with the hammer(longest name in history of album names!? ;) )

The Haunted - The Haunted Made Me Do It

Venom - Best of (kings of black metal)

Tristania (any album really)

and briefly on the subject of emo : why oh why at emo gigs do the singers always far away from the crowd for half the gig? must be shy or summin :ph34r:

This post has made me feel older than anything else in the last couple of years.

What happened to Punk, Metal, Everything Else?

Bands like Metallica, MegaDeth, Pantera, Sepultura, Slayer, Iron Maiden, The Almighty, BioHazard?

WHen music used to have a tune, dammit! :blink:

This post has made me feel older than anything else in the last couple of years.

What happened to Punk, Metal, Everything Else?

Bands like Metallica, MegaDeth, Pantera, Sepultura, Slayer, Iron Maiden, The Almighty, BioHazard?

WHen music used to have a tune, dammit! ;)

They all turned shit.

And got left behind by people with more creativity in their left nostril ;)

I think I'm gonna get Jane Doe anyway it can't be that hard to get into, and it's on every best album ever thing on Amazon too :blink:

They all turned shit.

And got left behind by people with more creativity in their left nostril :ph34r:

I think I'm gonna get Jane Doe anyway it can't be that hard to get into, and it's on every best album ever thing on Amazon too :blink:

Be quiet child.

If it weren't for Metallica and Megadeth, you wouldn't have half the bands you proclaim as creative...

Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Anthrax, Slayer...all paved the way for the annoying dirge you lot call heavy metal...

And wearing black... :blink: I was doing that in 1993, little Mr Alternative....

Just wait till you grow up and get a proper job...then you'll have to get a nice haircut, and proper clothes.......unless you want to hang around town centres drinking cheap cider till you're 50.

(Says the man who gets paid to test leather jackets etc as part of his job.... :ph34r: )

Well Exodus have got a new album out which is actually very good. As for the rest of those bands, hmm...Metallica are just shit, Pantera, Megadeth and Sepultura dont exist anymore (well Sepultura do but without Max Cavalera). Iron Maiden are still going unfortunately as are Biohazard.

Jane Doe is fantastic but very very intense

If you can put up with bands like Cephalic Carnage then you should manage the Doe - may i suggest NOT listening loudly through headphones as your first listen, theres a chance that you'll never listen to it again - infact didnt Terrorizor give it metal album of the year when it was released and then it featured in the top 5 of their greated metal albums ever a while after

as far as emo goes - its all about the Sunny Day! Diary is a fantastic album - its kinda wierd that i can enjoy good emo yet hate whiney indie bands (yes coldplay im looking at you)

Nice to see Soilwork getting a mention (a french guy i used to play PSO recommended them to me!) and the haunted

Oh yes and After The Eulogy is fantastic (even if many of the 'tr00' fans now think of it as a bit poo) - shame i've lost my copy (and about 50 other cds since ive moved)

Anyway now for a question - can someone recommend me some metal that has really nasty drum and bass style bass noises (that sort of 'wur-wump-ump-ump-errr' evil noise that some drum and bass acts do so well i.e. tecnical itch)

Cheers all

A

Megadeth and Sepultura dont exist anymore

It appears Mustaines reformed the band with Chris Poland as the lead guitarist...

I loved Megadeth, My memories of standing in the front row at Hammersmith many many years ago watching a totally out of it Mustaine sneer through 2 hours of classics whilst keeping up a standard of playing matched by very few other metal guitarists mean I'll instantly jump to the man and the bands defense!

Anyway, their first 5 albums are worth a punt, especially rust, peace sells and so far, worth at least leeching or borrowing and then investing in if you like them.

I've got my 5.1 mix of Peace Sells on the way, hope it's worth the wait..

If you can put up with bands like Cephalic Carnage then you should manage the Doe - may i suggest NOT listening loudly through headphones as your first listen, theres a chance that you'll never listen to it again - infact didnt Terrorizor give it metal album of the year when it was released and then it featured in the top 5 of their greated metal albums ever a while after

as far as emo goes - its all about the Sunny Day! Diary is a fantastic album - its kinda wierd that i can enjoy good emo yet hate whiney indie bands (yes coldplay im looking at you)

Nice to see Soilwork getting a mention (a french guy i used to play PSO recommended them to me!) and the haunted

Oh yes and After The Eulogy is fantastic (even if many of the 'tr00' fans now think of it as a bit poo) - shame i've lost my copy (and about 50 other cds since ive moved)

Anyway now for a question - can someone recommend me some metal that has really nasty drum and bass style bass noises (that sort of 'wur-wump-ump-ump-errr' evil noise that some drum and bass acts do so well i.e. tecnical itch)

Cheers all

A

For your Evil Drum and Bass sound, have you heard of a band called Anaal Nathrakh?

Sounds like they will sound like you described.

Cheers all

A

And on another note, I bought some new CDs this weekend.

I got Arc'tan'gent by Earthtone 9. Strangely reminds me of Tool jamming with Fear Factory ;) with a bit of Gommorrah's Season Earth Crisis thrown in for good measure.

And I went and subjected my ears to Jane Doe by Converge. I have listened to it about 3 times now whilst playing Metal Slug :) and it is starting to make a little sense.

I got it at work to listen to today in the hope that it will become clear!

Next purchases = Nodes of Ranvier s/t and something else that I have not decided yet.

And on another note, I bought some new CDs this weekend.

I got Arc'tan'gent by Earthtone 9. Strangely reminds me of Tool jamming with Fear Factory ;) with a bit of Gommorrah's Season Earth Crisis thrown in for good measure.

And I went and subjected my ears to Jane Doe by Converge. I have listened to it about 3 times now whilst playing Metal Slug :) and it is starting to make a little sense.

I got it at work to listen to today in the hope that it will become clear!

Next purchases = Nodes of Ranvier s/t and something else that I have not decided yet.

Anyone else got anything new to discuss?

Well Exodus have got a new album out which is actually very good. As for the rest of those bands, hmm...Metallica are just shit, Pantera, Megadeth and Sepultura dont exist anymore (well Sepultura do but without Max Cavalera). Iron Maiden are still going unfortunately as are Biohazard.

what do you mean unfortunately? the new iron maiden album is incredible

It's not new, but I've been listening to Vacant Stare lately, and I really like them.

The albums called Vindication, it's kind of odd, becasue I love the first half of it, then it goes a bit to Nu-Metally for my liking, with a very american vocal, which I hate.

It's growing on me though.

You guys are good at your genres, what would you call Mad Capsule Markets then?

They are one of my favourite bands of the moment.

I can't remember what their 2 albums are called.

I'm a bit crap like that when it comes to music.

I'll recommend them anyway. They are ace!

I'll keep reccomending it till everyone buys it.

Leftovercrack-mediocre generica, the bestest hardcore/ska album ever, its unlikely mix but it works so well.

Also

The nekromantix-return of the loving dead, dutch psychobilly hard as fuck and mad as biscuits.

The misfits-static age, you've never really heard punk rock unless you've heard this.

The butthole surfers-independent worm saloon, simply sublime.

Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick, the best death metal album ever IMO.

Not new stuff but all fucking brilliant.

Here's some of the bands i'm listening to at the mo:

Burnt By The Sun

Arch Enemy

Blindside

Damage Plan

In Flames

Isis

Poison the Well

Killswitch Engage

Meshuggah

Norma Jean

Project 86

Drowningman

Darkest Hour

Botch

Refused

Sevendust

Super Joint Ritual

Neurosis

No album titles listed as I have each bands stuff on an MP3 cdr for the car, so I can listen to every album/track In Flames have made on one cd etc.

But if anyone wants me to recommend something just ask!

Anaal Nathrakh - Codex Necro is a very good album. Very fast, verging on a bit random but still good.

As for Mad Capsule Markets they are in a genre of their own ;) OSC - DIS is their best album I think.

JPwpapr1.gif

You like Priest? Try this..

The metal god is back. After flopping with the uninspiring pseudo-industrial outfit Two, Rob Halford has returned to his metal ways with the aptly titled Resurrection. For 12 songs and 50 short minutes, the listener is transported to the time when metal was king, with Judas Priest riding through the airwaves and blasting out that heavy duty metal grinder. Yeah, you've heard it all before, but there's something undeniably special about The First Voice of Metal. And when he's on, Rob Halford is truly King.

Here's some of the bands i'm listening to at the mo:

Burnt By The Sun

Arch Enemy

Blindside

Damage Plan

In Flames

Isis

Poison the Well

Killswitch Engage

Meshuggah

Norma Jean

Project 86

Drowningman

Darkest Hour

Botch

Refused

Sevendust

Super Joint Ritual

Neurosis

No album titles listed as I have each bands stuff on an MP3 cdr for the car, so I can listen to every album/track In Flames have made on one cd etc.

But if anyone wants me to recommend something just ask!

I'm very interested in Isis - I loved Neurosis Times of Grace.

People also seem to like Killswitch but their name makes me think of some limp bizkit shit - what are they like?

I'll keep reccomending it till everyone buys it.

Leftovercrack-mediocre generica, the bestest hardcore/ska album ever, its unlikely mix but it works so well.

Also

The nekromantix-return of the loving dead, dutch psychobilly hard as fuck and mad as biscuits.

The misfits-static age, you've never really heard punk rock unless you've heard this.

The butthole surfers-independent worm saloon, simply sublime.

Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick, the best death metal album ever IMO.

Not new stuff but all fucking brilliant.

Blessed are the Sick you say?

I always thought Altars was the best and never gave anough thought to Blessed- I'll go and dig it out!

I'm very interested in Isis - I loved Neurosis Times of Grace.

People also seem to like Killswitch but their name makes me think of some limp bizkit shit - what are they like?

Killswitch are pure metal. Nothing limp bizkit about them at all. the closest i'd compare them too is burn My eyes or maybe early testament.

Also check out shadows fall.

' date='Mar 1 2004, 11:45 PM'] Just bought Hate Crew Death Roll by Children Of Bodom. Holy Satan. They're like the Eurovision song contest of melodic Death metal with Harpsichords!

FUCKING DESTROY!

Was that from my recommendation? If so, YIPPEE!

Anaal Nathrakh - Codex Necro is a very good album. Very fast, verging on a bit random but still good.

It's a good album, the first song ("The Supreme Necrotic Audnance") is amazing.

Good albums I've bought recently:

My Dying Bride - "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light"

Frost - "Talking to God"

Disiplin - "Disiplin"

Ok, so here's my contribution:

Stampin' Ground: Nice and heavy UK hardcore quintet (Click on their name for a link). Like Machine Head at their heaviest but minus the solos, which brings me to...

Machine Head: Their first album, and to an extent their second, are essential to any metal lover. They died after production of the second album and have been replaced by some boy band so avoid anything after their second album.

Brujeria: Side project with various well known metal band members. It's in Spanish, and Dino Cazares of Fear Factory fame is the riff man so you can expect that sort of style throughout (Though not a hint of electro stuff on there).

Downset: A bit dated now but a nice mix of hardcore/metal and rap. First two albums are good, somebody bought the guitarist a new effects pedal for Christmas and hence spoilt the third album with needless effects bollocks.

E-Town Concrete I loved their EP and their LP was just as good. A great mix of hip hop and hardcore, and though the rapping is at times a little under-par the music more than makes up for it. Very hard to get hold of their stuff though, at least in my experience.