IGNORED

The Metal recommendations thread

Lovelyman

For God's sake, what is it with metal bands that they can't make more than one good (Two at a push) album before they turn gay. The only people I can think of who remain consistently good are Pantera, and even their last album wasn't particularly good. Actualy I'd go as far as saying it was shit.

I see your point, I probably wouldn't be judging it so harshly had I not loved their other albums so much.

It's my theory that after bands have made a good first album they spunk their money on a new effects pedal and then get all carried away and make a shit second album. I know it's not true as even piss poor bands like my old one have good effects racks but it does seem like it. I actualy liked Limp Bizkit's first album in fact, then it went... wrong.

Re: Iron Maiden - Sorry, but I hate them and always have! They can burn in hell with King Diamond. Run to the hills indeed. ;)

Children of Bodom - Hatecrewdeathroll is by far their weakest album (although saying that i just remembered Follow the Reaper which was pretty shite). Checkout Hatebreeder and Something Wild which are classics. Or if you can find it (i think Spinefarm just re-released it) get Tokyo Warhearts which is a brilliant live album with their best songs on.

Re: Monkichi 2.0

My Band has supported Stamping Ground loads of times on their Irish exploits. Also supported Earthtone 9 & Raging Speedhorn among others!

We had a European tour arranged with Downset, but it got pulled at the last minute due to label bullshit :rolleyes:

Not sure how metal any of this stuff is, but it's probably as metal as emo ever will be and its served me well when I'm in a bad mood...

Shellac : 1000 Hurts - crazy technical riffage + sarcastic lyrics + weedy bloke shredding his vocal chords to shit howling.

Dead and Gone - The Beauticians Daughter - slow, sinister broken up hardcore with insanely negative lyrics

Negative Approach : Tied Down - fast, dumb, old school hardcore with insanely negative lyrics

No Means No : The Day Everything Became Nothing / Small Parts Isolated and Destroyed - melodramatic, technical, progressive hardcore with insanely negative lyrics

h

Re: Monkichi 2.0

My Band has supported Stamping Ground loads of times on their Irish exploits. Also supported Earthtone 9 & Raging Speedhorn among others!

We had a European tour arranged with Downset, but it got pulled at the last minute due to label bullshit :rolleyes:

Really? Well not to sound like a mad groupie but could you tell them Monkichi 2.0 thinks they are great and I've enjoyed their albums immensly. Everybody I've reccomended them to has loved them too, good job fellas.

My only rock claim to fame was going to the aftershow party when Machine Head played with Coal Chamber and Napalm Death. I got to spend the night chatting with them all, really nice blokes.

I'm not "in the scene" though so I hear about bands really late. What's your band spinpug666?

it wasnt shit. still had some tunes on it. just no classic.

God forbid have just done this. Thir fourth album isnt neccessarily shit, just a massive move into the more commercial realms of melodic metal

HA! That's why I was unimpressed. I heard you bangin' on about God Forbid, and listened to the new album and was really underwhelmed by what I heard.

I'll check out their earlier stuff.

Oh, and Monkichi:

You are right about bands turning shit. It's a sad trend.

BTW are Today is the Day good?

God Forbid are GENIUSES. Determination is the single best straight up metal album of the last god knows how many years. just download broken promise, determination part 1 or go my own way for evidence. But yeah, the new album is a big dissapointment.

today is the day are great, if a little depressing.

Some sweet ass bands have been mentioned here. You may want to check some of this shit based on what Ive read in the thread:

Darkest Hour

Everytime I die

Hondo Maclean

18 Visions (New album out in May It better be good)

Drowning Man (already mentioned but fantastic but nobody seems to listen to my praise)

Bleeding Through

Converge (Again)

Himsa

Coalesce

And on a more chilled note:

Far

Something Corperate (Poppy as fuck but great)

The Appleseed Cast

Elliott

Taking Back Sunday

Quicksand

Prema

Milemarker

Coheed and cambria

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head

For traditional style metal, Iced Earth are pretty good, particularly the Alive in Athens collection, and Three Inches of Blood are a good laugh, although they seem to be taking it seriously.

Does anyone else here find that the reviews section of Terrorizer + Soulseek is a dangerous combination, even more so when you're on dial-up. I've been downloading tracks for most of a night and then realised they were shit! Guess that serves me right for being a pirate, though it's better than tracking the album down and discovering it's pants.

Oh, just remembered Alas, female singer but written by Erik Rutan of Morbid Angel- awesome played loud whilst walking in the rain- beats emo shite for emotional effect.

Children of Bodom - Hatecrewdeathroll is by far their weakest album (although saying that i just remembered Follow the Reaper which was pretty shite). Checkout Hatebreeder and Something Wild which are classics. Or if you can find it (i think Spinefarm just re-released it) get Tokyo Warhearts which is a brilliant live album with their best songs on.

Have Something Wild. Love the harpsichord solo.

So... who's going to In Flames on the 24th April at the Astoria?

Everytime I die - Generic hardcore a la Hopesfall. Just like the aformentioned, they do nothing for me i'm afraid.

Hondo Maclean - British screamo upstarts. From hearing them I find them dull in a ffaf fashion.

18 Visions (New album out in May It better be good) - Great live hardcore/beatdown band.

Bleeding Through - Shouty shouty, nothing new.

Converge (Again) - Yes.

Something Corperate - Constantine is the only notable track on their pop-fueled album derived from a wave of pre 02 emo-type nonsense.

The Appleseed Cast - Excellent and underrated indie band, some of the guitar work on the Low Level Owl albums is just genius.

Taking Back Sunday - Made circles on the emo track over the past few years, split, got back together - imo a pop-fulled waste of time. The easily forgetable 'Great Romances..' and other main tracks from their debut did nothing for me, but obviously did for the easliy led among the scene.

Coheed and cambria - One of the greatest talents i've ever heard, a host of truly great and inventive musicians, the two currently released albums in a trilogy are amongst the finest recordings i've ever heard.

The Wage Of Sin - A brutal hardcore band consisting entirely of women. The front-lady sounds more vocally visceral than anything converge could ever conjour up.

Fordirelifesake - Excellent solo, guitar tech tinged hardcore. Think Alexisonfire meets Slayer.

HORSEtheband - Deathly Nintendocore. Part hardcore punk, part death. These are the most original group of youngsters you're likely to hear in a long time.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH

how can you possible call every time I die generic and then praise eighteen visions. That is an utter sin. I agree that last night in town isnt the best thing ever, but Hot Damn is truly original and certainly sounds like no other band around. As opposed to 18V, who sound like every other band around.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH

how can you possible call every time I die generic and then praise eighteen visions. That is an utter sin. I agree that last night in town isnt the best thing ever, but Hot Damn is truly original and certainly sounds like no other band around. As opposed to 18V, who sound like every other band around.

I didn't actually praise 18v for their recorded output, of which maybe i should have put that it's rather underwhelming alongside the vast amount of other suchlike bands.

Seeing them live left me with a positive feeling about them however. They were tight and polished - every song had a professional urgency. They looked great, they sounded great.

For great British hardcore, see Beecher. Actually, i'm not sure wether they're mathcore or not. Whatever, their sound is pretty intense.

The Melvins. The only metal band worth listening to. Great stuff.

How can you say that and expect to be taken seriously?

There's a lot of 'metal' out there that is worth listening to, and anyone with a cursory interest will be overwhelmed by the diversity on offer for those willing to look.

:unsure: