Sin City The Movie

cassidy

One of the most atmospherically drawn comics ever.

A Noir tale set in a real scummy town. Its bloody marvellous and if the movies capture one iota of the atmos of a single frame of the comic then be excited.

Marv is the hero in a few tales and he is the hardest meanest mofo in comics IMO.

Frank Miller created and drew it hence my excitement at his involvement. He's sworn for years to never let it be filmed so Rodriguez persuading him means something really special.

YES! I've been waiting for this for SO long!

I wonder if it's gonna be one of the existing stories or a new one? I'd certainly like to see "A dame to kill for" or "That yellow bastard" both of which are amazing.

Unfortunately, Miller's Robocop 3 effort was atrocious. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Sin City.

I just hope they do put Marv in it as none of the follow up stories have touched the original in terms of storytelling. And as for RR directing that's a good thing as he always goes for cartoon style violence in all his movies even Spy Kids.

I think the thing about Sin City is that it is simply a collection of old-fashioned, hard-boiled crime stories. The comics work so well because they are oozing with atmosphere, and 90% of that comes from the visual style.

Let's be honest, Sin City is not particularly famous for it's arresting, innovative storylines. Being a comic is what makes it good (and it is one of my favourite series).

It needs to be done in hard, hard black and white.

Wonder which Sin City story Miller will adapt?

Its a mixture of several stories as I guess a film of one of 'em might be a bit short. Possibly a load of shorts or something? That might work? And yeah I wanna see it in B&W too...

• 3 weeks later...

How much work has Frank Miller done? I found a stack of my brother's old Aliens comics the other day and one is done by Frank Miller, and his work seemed to create quite a buzz. Saw a few adverts for different things and his artwork seemed ace.

A bunch of sometimes loosely connected crime thrillers, usually of a cliched variety, but done with a certain amount of film-noir style cynicism (the main character rarely makes it to the end alive). All set in and around Basin City, your usual wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The artwork is a very bold, striking black and white. All dramatic shadows and harsh lights, with sometimes a splash of colour for special characters or story elements.

More news from AICN:

Michael Fleming at Variety.com has broke a story about how Robert Rodriguez, in order to be able to have Frank Miller as his co-director on SIN CITY, resigned from the Director's Guild (DGA) as to not set a potentially damaging precedent which could be abused outside of this particularly unique situation. However, in talking to Michael Fleming he spilled the beans on some of the additional "Holy Shit" cool things about SIN CITY.

#1: He says that Quentin Tarantino will be a "Special Guest Director" on one of the Sin City stories in the film!!!

#2: In addition to the names mentioned in yesterday's story - he mentioned to Fleming that he's been talking with Johnny Depp, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken and Michael Douglas!

Add those names to Leonardo DiCaprio, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy, Kate Bosworth, Jaime King, Josh Hartnett, Marley Shelton, Maria Bello and Benicio Del Toro and you've got a potentially amazing line up, possibly the biggest all star line up for a comic adaptation period.

More news from AICN:

Michael Fleming at Variety.com has broke a story about how Robert Rodriguez, in order to be able to have Frank Miller as his co-director on SIN CITY, resigned from the Director's Guild (DGA) as to not set a potentially damaging precedent which could be abused outside of this particularly unique situation. However, in talking to Michael Fleming he spilled the beans on some of the additional "Holy Shit" cool things about SIN CITY.

#1: He says that Quentin Tarantino will be a "Special Guest Director" on one of the Sin City stories in the film!!!

#2: In addition to the names mentioned in yesterday's story - he mentioned to Fleming that he's been talking with Johnny Depp, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken and Michael Douglas!

Add those names to Leonardo DiCaprio, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy, Kate Bosworth, Jaime King, Josh Hartnett, Marley Shelton, Maria Bello and Benicio Del Toro and you've got a potentially amazing line up, possibly the biggest all star line up for a comic adaptation period.

FUCK!! this sounds good. Hope it's not just rumours :)

• 1 month later...

i just checked this out on imdb, and look at the cast!!

they aren't all name checked yet, so i presume it's not final, but thats a really impressive list right there. and looking at the character names, it seems like they're going for several of the sin city stories at once. from what i remember anyway.

the video to mariah carey and busta rhyme's song last year had a whole animated section pretty much lifted from sin city, style wise, and it looked pretty wicked. i'm excited.

Josh Hartnett .... Dwight

Marley Shelton

Jaime King .... Goldie

rest of cast listed alphabetically

Maria Bello

Kate Bosworth

Steve Buscemi

Benicio Del Toro

Johnny Depp .... Wallace

Leonardo DiCaprio

Michael Douglas

Carla Gugino .... Lucille