Most upsetting thing you've seen on TV

McFly

As for upsetting, I was watching a real-life ER documentary on the discovery channel. A guy came in from a motorbike accident - fell off his bike at 65 and slid for 150 heet before hitting a hotel sign.

His foot came in seperately. He ended up having both his arms and one of his legs amputated. Terrible.

Yeuch.

That's why you should wear the best kit you can on a bike...And why i hate anything that poses a risk so much....bad car drivers, stupidly placed road signs etc...

So far the total of injuries is just bruises and a fractured fibia....

true..

anyone who doesnt cry whilst watching that film must be a heartless bastard.

Forrest Gump is one of the worst films ever made, and the only reason I cried was at the wastage of time I could have spent doing something better.

Only equalled by Philadelphia as a film that can turn me against the character I'm supposed to be sympathetic about.

As for horrific...antyhing involving shots of plastic surgery......the other night they had a guy doing liposuction on his own throat.....blueeeeeeergh

Short version: Nuke hits Sheffield, we follow some survivors through 13 years of post-nuclear holocaust life, y'know, eating radioactive sheep and rats, watching people dying from lack of oxygen, looting, murdering, fun stuff.

I've got this on DVD. My cousin watched it when she was younger and said it was the scariest thing she had ever seen. I found a copy in WHSmiths for £9.99 so bought it on an impulse. It's alright. I think you had to have seen it in the 80's when it was originally aired to understand why it scared the crap out of so many people. A bit like Ghostwatch, then - if you watch that now, you realise it's not that scary at all.

ARGH Threads! We were forced to watch that in RE lessons at school, forced - over two lessons I might add! And I have not a clue why. I'm sure our teacher was smiling all the way through - as noticed whenever the class had to turn their eyes away from the tv through sheer horror at that scene where the girl birthed a grapefruit at the end.

On a similar note, does anyone remember an animated short film of the pre- and post- holocaust lives of an elderly couple in the countyside somewhere? It may have been bbc. It starts when they hear a radio announcement that thay should build a makeshift barrier out of a matress and 37 cushions or something, collect water in jam pots and then wait it out...It ends with them getting boils and their hair falls out n stuff. Marred my youth it did.

ARGH Threads! We were forced to watch that in RE lessons at school, forced - over two lessons I might add! And I have not a clue why. I'm sure our teacher was smiling all the way through - as noticed whenever the class had to turn their eyes away from the tv through sheer horror at that scene where the girl birthed a grapefruit at the end.

On a similar note, does anyone remember an animated short film of the pre- and post- holocaust lives of an elderly couple in the countyside somewhere? It may have been bbc. It starts when they hear a radio announcement that thay should build a makeshift barrier out of a matress and 37 cushions or something, collect water in jam pots and then wait it out...It ends with them getting boils and their hair falls out n stuff. Marred my youth it did.

When the Wind Blows

Classic...

Your "youth"? How old are you. Surely everyone's read it by now? n'est pas?

Maybe I'm just a big geek, but somehow I was deeply shaken by the episode of Star Trek: Voyager (The Swarm, I think) in which The Doctor's mind begins to degrade. "Should I use this on the very sick man?" stuck with me. I guess the idea of seeing that sort of degradation in anyone I know scares me. I think my Grampa had a stroke a few years later, and I just don't want to talk about that.

ER. Think it was season 7 where Lucy Knight and John Carter are stabbed. Channel 4 showed it in a double bill with the aftermath episode straight after with Romano and Corday battling to save both Carter's and Lucy's lifes. It was very upsetting (for me anyway) and I do not believe C4 have ever repeated the aftermath episode.

I cried like a dog through that whole episode... ER really is the most amazing programme for portraying emotion... when Mark got cancer and died was pretty distressing...

Hang on. I'm pretty sure we read Threads in English. Did it have a bit about the PE teacher surviving, and turning up plastic pots to look like landmines to stop army trucks and stuff? And it was about a boy and a girl, a girl who had a sister and became pregnant?

hmmmm tough one. Making a summary of 25 years of intense tv watching will be hard but here goes.

1.Aces High : when Thompson`s air plane gets torched.

2.Blue Thunder : When Murphy gets hurt

3.Bram Stockers Dracula : when Vlad gets killed.

4. Das Boot: The End scene where the sub gets destroyed.

Hang on. I'm pretty sure we read Threads in English. Did it have a bit about the PE teacher surviving, and turning up plastic pots to look like landmines to stop army trucks and stuff? And it was about a boy and a girl, a girl who had a sister and became pregnant?

No.

Also Carter getting stabbed in ER and Lucy's already under the bed thing.

Yes, a great TV moment. Also the episode called 'Night Shift' which was kind of comedy-style until the very end, when an ER nurse was brought in having thrown himself in front of a train. He was so messed up they didn't know it was him until they paged him to come help with the emergency...

Sounds a lot like a book I (also) read in Standard Grade English, called "Brother In The Land", basically about the experiences of some kids in England after nukes hit.

It was crap. :)

Ooh - does anyone remember the show that was on (a couple of times, I think) about a rabies epidemic in this country. I think it might have simply been called 'Rabies'. That scared me a great deal as a kid, and made me extremely wary of any wandering dogs for years.

When the Wind Blows

That's the one. Cheers! Although I have no desire to read or watch it again.

Your "youth"? How old are you. Surely everyone's read it by now? n'est pas?

Mais oui, I'm currently 20-ish, but was about 14 or so when our school year was subjected to this, um, filth. So, a marred upper youth instead then. That probably explains the black hair phase.

That was great. That woman who lived alone with the cats. Why do I remember that? Weird.

I have two different AVIs of Threads. One split into two parts, totalling about a gig each and then another that weighs in at around 800MB. Can you share videos on Soulseek? I guess I could share it in the Rllmuk room if enough people want it. And if you have a fast connection. I'm not leaving my machine on for a few days just for it ...

have two different AVIs of Threads. One split into two parts, totalling about a gig each and then another that weighs in at around 800MB. Can you share videos on Soulseek? I guess I could share it in the Rllmuk room if enough people want it. And if you have a fast connection. I'm not leaving my machine on for a few days just for it ...

How would I go about getting this from you? by Rllmuk room do you mean in IRC or something, or on Soulseek?

I've got 512 ADSL so wouldn't take too long for the 800MB one...

There was a scene in...that american prizon drama, Oz. I hadn't eally seen it that much, so I didn't know how brutal it was. But there was a scene where one prizoner is getting a blowjob from another prisoner. The reciever just reaches down, puts his hands around the givers head and...snaps his neck.

I was practically shellshocked after seeing that.

In terms of dramatic content, Dinobot's heroic death in Beast Wars actually made me cry - the only time I can remember being that affected by a television show as a 'grown up'.

Threads has to be the most terrifying and disturbing thing that I've seen on TV as a 'realistic' drama, despite being terribly dated.