The X Files

Graham S

I was never a big X files fan. But I must have wasted a good few hours of my life watching it. What I really liked were the "plot" episodes, even though tiny nuggets of information were spread out incredibly thinly (and I'm sure some of the one-offs were much better).

Could anyone who did watch it all carefully explain what it was all about, then? You know, the big plot. The cigarette smoking man. Mulder's sister. The aliens. What happened in the end? What were they banging on about for a billion episodes? It would be a shame for me to have completely wasted all that time and still be none the wiser. Internet links will be gratefully recieved if they break it down gently for the idiot viewer.

I was a major fan throughout the first few series, and as far as I know I saw more or less every episode right up until the last one, and I STILL didn't understand the plot. It was just the bit at the start and end of each series to keep the show going, then the rest was the 'monster of the week' type in between.

all I know is the Cigarette Smoking Man from the first episode is the main bad guy throughout and he gets a few missiles in the face at the end of the last episode (sorry if that ruins it).

all I know is the Cigarette Smoking Man from the first episode is the main bad guy throughout and he gets a few missiles in the face at the end of the last episode (sorry if that ruins it).

No. Spoil Away. He had it coming to him, so I'm glad about that. I want as much made clear to me as possible. I'll put a spoiler warning on the thread just in case.

They probably lost half the writing team when the show lost most of its audience (and budget). I doubt they had any more idea of what was happening than us. But the first four seasons of The X-Files are absolutely brilliant. Particularly the second one. It was the pinnacle of TV for its time.

yeah first four series were awesome..

The thing that pissed me off was all this alien stuff. I just felt i wanted more different storylines, ie the fanastic episodes like that creature who lived in the water supply, or the guy who could slide through holes and chimleys to kill people.

I didnt like the samantha stuff always being brought up, like she getting cloned, she dieing and then coming back.. too weird and complicated.

Annoyingly i sold series 1-2-3 of it last year for 30 quid each cos i needed the money badly =/

so did CSM and those government guys actually kidnap Mulder's sister, then clone her or what?

was she an alien?

was the alien invasion definitely about to happen after the last episode?

and WTF happened to the spin-off show featuring just the Lone Gunmen? It sounded proper shit I just wondered whether it ever got made.

The Lone Gunmen show deinitely existed. I saw a clip of them narrowly averting a jet plane crashing into the World Trade Center: it skimmed across NYC and just pulled up at the last minute, just missing the roof. Can't see that one getting a repeat in a hurry.

Wow, it looks like it wasn't just me who was left bemused by the plotting. DiscoStu: you look like the most qualified so far to have a go at a brief synopsis of the big plot.

Oh, and what was that black oil stuff in the film?

yeah first four series were awesome..

The thing that pissed me off was all this alien stuff. I just felt i wanted more different storylines, ie the fanastic episodes like that creature who lived in the water supply, or the guy who could slide through holes and chimleys to kill people.

I didnt like the samantha stuff always being brought up, like she getting cloned, she dieing and then coming back.. too weird and complicated.

Annoyingly i sold series 1-2-3 of it last year for 30 quid each cos i needed the money badly =/

That gave me nightmares for years afterwards.

No, they just provide some pleasingly random background to each episode and highlight the bloopers. For example, it provides a one-para synopsis of the Firewalker episode, a quote, then a few pages on the concept of silicon lifeforms, then a series of bullet-point trivia and blooper items.

Fantastic. It's even got a primer on the MJ-12 conspiracy theory in there somewhere.

Basically...

It twists and turns around a government conspiracy to develop an anti-virus to a bio-weapon that was discovered in Roswell. Intermingled with all that is a plot to clone chosen subjects (Mulder was chosen, but his dad got them to take his sister instead).

Thats up till about Season 5. After that I kinda gave up on it coz it was so far up its own arse it was licking its own tonsils.