IGNORED

The Vines Winning Days

Andy_Tanner

I've downloaded some of the tracks. As you said, it's basically the first album all over again. It even has a song called Autumn shade II :blink:

But they were pretty derivative in the first place and it's not bad to listen to, and the tunes are catchy but... well... meh. The new Status Quo. Put some effort in next time.

I quite liked their first album but after a few listens, I am really not liking Winning Days. Not sure why really, it does follow the same formula.

Ride is fucking supreme.

The video [i stayed up to see it on CD:UK late night thing] is also top.

The only problem with stuff that is actually really good, and justifys any flurry of hype is that people who claim to be embracers of all things musically good find it easy to palm off as 'wank'/'boring'/'not as good as band XXX from 10 years ago'/'rip off of band XXX from 10 years ago' and etc.

And the album is like the first album? Even better!

TV Pro is the best thing on it by far. some of the tracks here they were playing on their first tour (Autumn Shade II, Fuck The World) and Sun Child was originally the B-side of Highly Evolved. there's also some horrible caterwauling going on.

not that great really.

I've never been a major Vines fan but I can't help feeling people are being stupidly harsh on them.

NME and Q for example. In both reviews they criticise the Vines for not being Franz Ferdinand. Quote NME: "Rock is all about British bands now, not johnny foreigners" WTF? Also they criticise their lyrics as vague and whiney (IIRC)... which seems odd when you consider how bad some of the aforementioned Franz Ferdinands lyrics are. Finally, and this one really pisses me off... they are criticised for putting old songs on the new album. Ummm... The Strokes did it on their second album and it was fine, hell, even the fucking Pixies did it (The Thing = The Happening) so if we are going to criticise The Vines then let's criticise them for the music...

...oh, so it's more of the same? Good. That'll do fine with me, they are one of the few bands with an interesting, captivating front man and who are at least ripping off decent bands (nirvana/beatles) instead of churning out more dull 80's garage rock shit (franz ferdinand).

NME are hypopcrites for sure but Winning Days isn't a good album. Highly Evolved was overated too. it certainly had more good tunes than the new one but it was over produced and had it's fair share if stinkers (The Factory for example). they're a very average band who're rubbish live. there's only so many times every song descending into chaos can disguise the fact they can't play or sing too well.

and the singer is too confident by far. he actually seems to believe all the hype that heralded their arrival. he's no Kurt Cobain, Iggy Pop or John Lennon.

if people are being harsh now it's only what they should have being saying from the beginning. an average band with a new album that is much worse than their average debut, in retrospect.

i'm no fan of Franz Ferdinand but there far better bands out there more deserving than The Vines.

I listened to the album and thought it was very very forgetable. The last album was okayish, pulp pop with 1 or 2 standout tracks, but this one is all spacefiller, 38 mins of it. Currently, every band with 'The' in front of their name needs a good kick up the arse!

It's only flaw is it sounds over-produced in areas.

Like the needless sound effects in [the beautiful] Autumn Shade pt II & Rainfall.

Unfortunately thsi loses the raw factor that made Highly Evolved so fucking brilliant.

The demo of 'Ride' outshines it's album successor.

[For those interested, it's available here]

Then again, tracks like 'Tv whore' are made all the better with the production.

[Demo]

It feels solid, although very different to the debut.

A band beginning to find their way and fine-tune their style. Unless other the bands, cough, the strokes, that sound identical to what they used to.

Plus the cover art fucking rules.

THE VINES!

THE VINES!

THE VINES!

The demo of 'Ride' outshines it's album successor.

[For those interested, it's available here]

Is that the version with a militant roll at the start of it? And the McCartneyesque bassline?

If so, it's probably one of the best Vines songs they've put down. Craig actually sounds like he's not had 24 litres of Coke in the last 2 hours. He probably though no one would really be hearing the 'real' emotion in his voice.

Shame they had to go and piss it up when committing for radio and TV plugging madness though. Hoorah marketing men.

And if indeed the album is as shit as 'they' say, I can't take solace in the fact that I rode their wave first time around, from start to messy finish. Don't let the fact that this hype-tastic album might be a bit sour take away from the fact that their debut will sit alongside The Strokes and co for post Millennia rock, whether you like it or not.

Is that the version with a militant roll at the start of it? And the McCartneyesque bassline?

Sorry, that went over my head.

Download it and see, it's only 2meg.

24 litres of Coke

He doesn't drink coke! Not after they stuck his face on the can without permission. Bastards.

I feel all the backlash for Winning Days stems from the hype of Nicholls personality. The mental performances, rock and roll smashing up of things, not to mention attacking bassist Matthews on stage.

He's been built up to be this pychotic kurt cobain, so when this easily more melodic, relaxing album appears, it doesn't fit the image.

Sorry, that went over my head.

Download it and see, it's only 2meg.

He doesn't drink coke! Not after they stuck his face on the can without permission. Bastards.

I feel all the backlash for Winning Days stems from the hype of Nicholls personality. The mental performances, rock and roll smashing up of things, not to mention attacking bassist Matthews on stage.

He's been built up to be this pychotic kurt cobain, so when this easily more melodic, relaxing album appears, it doesn't fit the image.

2 meg on a 56K isn't as fun as it was 5 years ago. I think I have it, if it's not gig-live and has clapping at the start, it's the one. I would have downloaded the album weeks ago if I wasn't stuck in 1998.

And yeah. Coke put him on the can from some live shot or something. Just replace Coke with another caffeine injected liquid.

I couldn't give a shit about what people expect him to be, but when I saw him live it was like he was diving at the mic to sing in it. For the best part of an hour. The demo makes him sound out of breath at some points, like he's trying really hard to do it properly. Shame it's easier to get media attention for being mad than a talent then.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thoroughly enjoying the album to be quite honest. It isn't as great as Highly Evolved but the was alot of hype to live upto.

I missed out on the 'hype' for this album. All I've seen over the last month is how rubbish they are and that the lead singer is a c***. (Yes, the asterisks mean I'm at work, how annoying :) )

better in what way?

In whatever way winds you up, I'm guessing.

Am I the only person in the world who sees virtually no Nirvana in this group? Bar one song on the first album, I just couldn't see it. If anthing, it reminded me far more of Supergrass.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cecil McBee

How can "by no means unsatisfactory" mean anything other than "yes, it's a complete piece of shit but can't bring myself to admit it to you lot" or "look fucker, not everyone likes to listen to great music all the time".

Music is highly personal. Who gives a fuck what anybody says? Everybody's universe is completely different. The only opinion that matters is your own. Having said that the Vines are still the crappest band any mainstream rag devotes space to.