Consoles have the best FPS-games!

Fleksnes

I posted these statistics on another forum, largely dominated by arrogant PC-gamers with a major grudge against consoles who are out to destroy their advanced and complex games. After several discussions about FPS-games, where the PC gamers would crush every argument I had about how an FPS-game could be enjoyable on a console with their constant mantra of "MOUSE & KEYBOARD RULZ! GAYPAD SUCKS!"-argument, I decided to give them something to think about.

I used www.gamerankings.com to create statistics for the top 5 FPS-games based on review scores average from a minimum of 10 reviews.

According to Gamerankings, these are the five best FPS-games in the world:

1. Halo Xbox 95,1%

2. Perfect Dark N64 94,7%

3. Goldeneye N64 94,5%

4. Half-Life PC 94,5%

5. Unreal Tournament PC 93,7%

Gamerankings also allows users to vote on games. So I generated a top 5 list of FPS-games based on the highest average user scores (with a minimum of 50 scores for each game)

1. Goldeneye N64

2. Call of Duty PC

3. Perfect Dark N64

4. Halo Xbox

5. Unreal Tournament PC

Needless to say, I got flamed to death.

Statistics? Pfft, you can prove anything with statistics, 15% of all people know that, Kent.

PC developers innovated more in the early days, console developers adapted in modern times, and right now I'd say, on balance, PC and console shooters are about on a par in terms of quality.

That could all change this year, though, as obvious PC heavyweights Valve and id get back into the game after a long time away, and I suspect the PC will soon become the home of the FPS once again, with the most diverse and enjoyable new titles all being released this year. Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry and UT2004 are all on the 'must have' list.

Cosole FPS's have a more story line based game play to them, based on levels which make them more fun, take perfect dark for exaple. PC ones seem to be one huge level with minimal story and lots of showy off graphics. For example, quake 2.

Never played Farcry then?

:blink:

But there are alot more console gamers playing FPSs so....

more console gamers = higher scores for console FPSs.

It doesn't mean they are better, just more console players voted for them because there are more of them.

Statistics don't mean anything, its down to the individual. IMO, PC FPS is better, IMO.

The fact that console FPS' are hardly a saturated part of the market also comes into play. Look at how many people said that Timesplitters was one of the best games ever.

Nowadays you get a lot of FPS' on all formats, but the PC still has better FPS' overall. Half-Life is clearly #1.

Hey, I'm not saying these statistics prove anything. In fact, they don't.

FPS-games on PC's are usually quite different experiences from FPS-games on consoles, the pace is quicker and the M+K control method is an integral part of the gameplay. A console FPS isn't the the stressful speedfest that a PC-FPS often is, and therefore plays differently in pretty much every way.

I think that if Goldeneye or Perfect Dark was originally programmed for PC's, the games would feel completely different from the games they are today. But I don't think they necessarily would play better.

I posted these statistics on another forum, largely dominated by arrogant PC-gamers with a major grudge against consoles who are out to destroy their advanced and complex games.

The reason "ze eval Pc-gamarZ" become arrogant is because of stupid idiotic threads such as this. Can we please stop the X vs Y please? WOULD YOU MIND?

Edit: I almost forgot.....piss off you cock smoker!

I've thought this for a while.

I've always felt that console games are just that much more refined. Take controls first of all: the mouse/keyboard control have made the PC FPS developer incredibly complacent. It has very little sublety and gives players a little too much accuracy too quickly. That may seem like a strange thing to say but I like the handicap you get from using a control pad cos it feels more like you're controlling a character and not just running around in a shooting gallery.

Then take the nature of PC gaming, especially in FPS's. There's always a great emphasis on utilising the latest technology for the best graphics, which has always diverted precious development time from the creative side, not to mention the headaches of making a compatible and relatively bug-free package. It means there's too much emphasis on technology and less on ground-breaking gaming concepts, which the console has always picked up on the way.

Take a look at the first Rainbow Six (and even the latest ones): a great concept which works for the first couple of levels. But then a hundred and one design issues creep up and ruined would could have been a truly great game. Had the teams been able to concentrate on refining the core gameplay, it could have been saved. Development resources just don't generally allow this to the extent a console game can.

When PC FPS's work well, don't get me wrong, they're fantastic. Playing System Shock 2 today is as good as any gaming experience gets. But in general I get so much more from a console FPS. Still, can't wait for Half Life 2.

I don't think either is best, they both offer good FPS games, it's enough that we recognise the PC doesn't rule the genre like some mental PC fanboys seem to think.

The PC is however king of fragging 'sport' because of the control setup and being the first and most popular to support games such as Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike and Quake III.

Why are you even discussing N64 games? What's the point? According to GameRankings.com OoT is the best game ever.

Like fuck.

If FPS games were really good on consoles you all wouldn't still be wanking over Halo.

As it is, nothing has bettered it. Hardly a sign that FPS gaming on consoles is up there with ones on PC.

I think your little stats actually point out that there are some fantastic games on both formats.

And it also puts the lie to Edge's risible 7 they gave UT while giving the "bouncing playpen shit with the worst AI since the ZX80" that is Q3A a Nine. Twats.

I love Halo, I love Goldeneye, but let's face it, playing them on a console gives them a "fun factor" boost when you're all in the same room cos it's just hilarious even though the control & resolution disadvantages that mean you can hardly see what you're shooting at half the time, would piss you off if you sat down to notice them.

BF1942, UTxxxx, Call of Duty, Countrstrike et al are elevated to another level when played in the same room. But that's not experienced by the majority of PC gamers so the stats aren't entirely fair.

And Sack, using a 10 year old example like Q2 is a bit harsh. It was always a sublime multiplayer game though.

I think your little stats actually point out that there are some fantastic games on both formats.

And it also puts the lie to Edge's risible 7 they gave UT while giving the "bouncing playpen shit with the worst AI since the ZX80" that is Q3A a Nine. Twats.

I love Halo, I love Goldeneye, but let's face it, playing them on a console gives them a "fun factor" boost when you're all in the same room cos it's just hilarious even though the control & resolution disadvantages that mean you can hardly see what you're shooting at half the time, would piss you off if you sat down to notice them.

BF1942, UTxxxx, Call of Duty, Countrstrike et al are elevated to another level when played in the same room. But that's not experienced by the majority of PC gamers so the stats aren't entirely fair.

And Sack, using a 10 year old example like Q2 is a bit harsh. It was always a sublime multiplayer game though.

they gave quake 3 and 8. also, quake was probobly the better game. it feels so much better than UT.

To me, a PC FPS will always feel like a work in progress. Not because of any problem with the way they are created, just because of the impossible-to-avoid nature of PCs and hard disk access, coupled with a control system designed for work, not play.

This applies to every genre, mind you.