IGNORED

Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

Well the episode implied that Des acted as a result of the well incident, but that could just be misdirection.

Why would Desmond in the flashsideways go to the extreme of running over a man in a wheelchair. Just to give him a near death experience to see visions?

I think that maybe because Desmond is at the bottom of the well, he got knocked out and he's right by an electromagnetic pocket which sent him over to the other universe. Desmond in the sideways seemed to have the intention to kill Locke.

I'm assuming the side-flashes in future eps will just feature a mish-mash of various characters encountering Desmond, meeting up in Jack's hospital and deciding what to do.

Oh, and another cool thing was Michael's line about him being one of the ones who "can't move on". So, after all that, the island is sort of a purgatory. I wonder what "can't move on" means? They've done some bad shit? So what other ghosts does that apply to? Ricardo's mrs?

I think Desmond knew he'd be thrown down that well at some point. What he's going to do down there I have no clue, maybe he uses the energy pockets on the Island to jump-consciousness to the alt-timeline? It would explain why he gets revenge on Locke at the end there. It seemed far too risky to run over someone that hard in the hope that he remembers instead of dies.

Maybe enlightened Desmond knew it wouldn't kill Locke. It didn't seem like a revenge attack to me, just him trying to make someone see the other timeline again - presumably Locke will next episode. Also it would be kinda harsh as alt-Locke isn't even MIB, just some poor guy in a wheelchair! If he wanted him dead he'd reverse back over him or use a gun instead. Desmond's little smirk before the impact was good.

Also I liked the whispers confirmation, but the way they did it seemed a bit...weak...and crammed in.

"So the whispers are all the dead guys?"

"Yep. We're trapped"

"Ok, later".

Then again it's not a huge deal and people already decoded the audio ages ago, so I'm probably just being unreasonable.

I think they did when it appeared to Eko.

Lostpedia elegantly links all the whispers with the explanation in the latest episode by surmising that whenever the whispers happened right before the Others or the Monster appeared it was a warning to an important person that they were about to be in danger

Lostpedia elegantly links all the whispers with the explanation in the latest episode by surmising that whenever the whispers happened right before the Others or the Monster appeared it was a warning to an important person that they were about to be in danger
It fits pretty well (I assume the dead people were always whispering as a warning)...

Who needs Lostpedia!

It also just about explains Ben's warning to Rousseau; perhaps Ben, whilst possibly ignorant of what the whispers actually were, knew they were a warning of danger approaching.

Locke mentioned that there were several wells, it wasn't made clear if this was the donkey wheel well or not. Personally I remember the donkey wheel well had a lot more vegetation surrounding it, and also the remains of the wooden frame above it, I think.

Locke mentioned that there were several wells, it wasn't made clear if this was the donkey wheel well or not. Personally I remember the donkey wheel well had a lot more vegetation surrounding it, and also the remains of the wooden frame above it, I think.

Yeah, but we don't know when in time that was. We saw it when they were skipping about and Locke said that this well had been built a very long time ago, dug out with the bare hands. Entirely possible that the surroundings had changed and the wooden frame had rotted away in the mean time.

That kid IS Jacob. You go back and watch scenes in which the old Jacob smiles, that kid had EXACTLY the same smile. The MiB knows something is afoot that he can't thwart, that Jacob is still pulling a bag load of strings.

that kid IS NOT Jacob. he looked completely different to the other very blonde boy (with bloody arms). He was dark haired, and Jacob is most certainly not.

so it was either a young untainted man in black, or two children that I am sure will relate to the origin of where jacob and the MIB's stories come from.

I was going to say last week but I forgot, I was just thinking that locke wants all the canditates together so he can kill them all at the same time and then no one can stop him?

someones probably already said that.

Still mostly not sure what they hell is going on however, the flash sideways are still very frustrating for me.

that kid IS NOT Jacob. he looked completely different to the other very blonde boy (with bloody arms). He was dark haired, and Jacob is most certainly not.

I think that the young boy is the same,

but perhaps appearing as slightly older because Desmond is successfully doing Jacob's work in the alternate world. As Desmond succeeds more in linking the two realities, perhaps then, the MiB will see Jacob at full age. Just a theory, like.

Or you know, maybe it was a third brother. He was killed and that's why Jacob and MiB had a big falling out to start with.

Great episode though. Was nice to get an answer about the whispers. I'm a little perturbed about how Ben has been reduced to a bit part character now. I hope there's a bit more about him to come.

Isn't the Orchid station built above the donkey wheel? I got the impression that the well Locke fell down last season was on the exact site of the Orchid (was he ends up pretty much exactly at the wheel), but as the time-travellers arrived there in the past, instead of finding the Orchid they just found the well.

So, as last night's ep took place in the present, surely it's not the well above the donkey wheel?

Yeah, but we don't know when in time that was. We saw it when they were skipping about and Locke said that this well had been built a very long time ago, dug out with the bare hands. Entirely possible that the surroundings had changed and the wooden frame had rotted away in the mean time.

Sure, but all I was saying is that fLocke said there were several wells, and it wasn't made at all clear if that was the well that we've seen before. We won't know until we find out what Desmond is getting up to down there. Everyone assumed there is only one well (or simply hadn't considered others), but this episode told us there are more.

Isn't the Orchid station built above the donkey wheel? I got the impression that the well Locke fell down last season was on the exact site of the Orchid, but as the time-travellers arrived there in the past, instead of finding the Orchid they just found the well.

So, as last night's ep took place in the present, surely it's not the well above the donkey wheel?

That never even occured to me, but I guess you're right. Unless there's more than one donkey wheel.

So, yes, my mistake. It must have been another well from the donkey wheel/orchid one that we saw last night.

Ilana's exit confirms for me that Jacob is not a good guy. IMHO, she clearly thought she was protected by the island because Jacob led her to believe she was. Also, Ilana only handled the dynamite because Jacob told her Richard would know what to do. So it seems like he led her to her death.

I did love Ben showing he still has brains by making the connection between Ilana's death and the cruelty of the island. But Ben, your name's crossed out if I remember correctly. The island may well be done with you.

However, I have this strange feeling that neither Ilana nor Desmond are really dead. I don't know why I believe this. I guess it's partially because Ilana's purpose being to tell the candidates that they're candidates is the lamest thing ever given that Sawyer already knew it from MiB and Jack/Hurley already knew it from the lighthouse trip.

I'm also getting tired of the show ignoring that Miles can talk to the dead, too. I get that his power works differently than Hurley's, but I think Miles should know just as well that the whispers are dead people (which makes sense to me given the whisper transcripts that I've read--there's really not much else the whispers could be!). Also, Miles could totally have told Hurley Libby's last thoughts, which may have been sweet. If we're going to have two characters with very similar abilities, I want the show to do more with it!

I definitely got the feeling that Desmond knew exactly who Locke was and what Locke planned to do at the well, but for whatever reason, had accepted his fate. Desmond may not have been scared, but I was because I, too, knew what Locke planned to do but I had not accepted Desmond's fate. Also, there's nothing worse (in terms of TV viewing) than knowing a beloved character is about to get thrown down a well, but not knowing when it's going to happen!

If he's not jacob then it wouldn't make much sense.

do you think the producer's couldn't find any blonde kids that day?

his hair is a completely different colour for a reason. the other kid's hair was bright blonde for a reason. its not just random.

in terms of new characters, it makes complete sense if we are going to learn where the man in black and jacob origin from (and what their stories were before (on or off the island).

i'm certain that LIGHT haired and DARK haired boys will relate to that somehow.

That never even occured to me, but I guess you're right. Unless there's more than one donkey wheel.

So, yes, my mistake. It must have been another well from the donkey wheel/orchid one that we saw last night.

Remember in Jin's episode, Zoe showed him a map that pinpointed areas of electro-magnetism - I'm sure the map showed three of them. I wonder if those were three wells? I wonder if they all 'exit' in the same place? If they are three wells, I assume one of them is the one that Locke went down to turn the wheel. Perhaps the other two are something else.

I'm still intrigued as to what Widmore's intentions are.

Re: The kid - I must admit I based it on his smile more than hair colour or looks. He seemed to have the same sort of smile that Jacob had. Something just seemed to click for me when he smiled.

I wonder why Hurley decided to take them to see Locke? I assume Locke couldn't go to them because of the free-will thing? But then he did go to Sawyer and Sun to recruit/attempt to recruit them.

tl;dr post coming up... But I think I have some decent theories.

I reckon the kid must have been the MiB. Obviously ghosts/apparitions of him and Jacob when they were mortal (and kids) are visiting them for some reason. Why he wanted to stay away from the kid who was his past self, I haven't got a solid theory for, but perhaps the kid shows the MiB at a stage where he was innocent and uncorrupted by evil, so he may suspect he will try and influence him.

I also like the idea that Jacob can make these apparitions (someone mentioned a smoke angel theory?) so perhaps it was actually Jacob taking the form of a young MiB for some as yet unknown reason?

I really don't subscribe to this Love/Death theory, I think it's just simply putting the characters in similar situations, or making them feel the same things, that they felt on the island. Hence Desmond staring at Charlie through the glass, with Charlie putting his hand up to the window. I don't think Desmond was on the verge of death at this point at all, just that it was such a similar visual/emotional sensation that he remembered the island.

How this would relate to Charlie reaching his realisation i'm not sure, perhaps because he was dying from being unable to breath (when the drugs got lodged in his throat on the plane) he remembered being strangled by Ethan/drowning (being unable to breath) in the underwater station? Perhaps the whole Claire thing was just incidental to that, or, he had the same sensation he felt when close to death in the alt as he probably did when close to death on the island (thinking of Claire).

I reckon that Desmond was not getting revenge on Locke in the alt, but simply trying to put him in the same situation he was in on the island to trigger his 'deja vu'. I would bet my house on the next episode (assuming it will be a Locke one as the ending implied) having alt Locke, dying in the road, staring up into the face of teacher Ben, and flashing to his experience on the island when Ben shot him and left him for dead in the ditch, staring down at him. Possibly this will trigger some memory for Ben too, but i'm not really sure if the same shared experience could lead to the same sensation for both (since in this episode, when Hurley kissed Libby and saw his island life, we assume the same didn't happen for Libby in that moment, though this could be because she already had her 'flash' I suppose). If we are to assume that Desmond is going to, or needs to, bring every character to remember the island, then my above theory would explain why he didn't bother making any effort with Ben when he came to his car outside the playground - he knew his next events - running over Locke - would take care of Ben's realisation.

Or, alternatively, that would be because Ben isn't important to his mission, and only the 6 candidates/main Oceanic characters need to be influenced by Desmond, guess we will see with that one. The really interesting question that's on my mind is how Desmond seems to know exactly what to do with each character to nudge them in the desired direction. Surely he didn't know anything about Hurley + Libby's experiences on the island, so how did he know any of what Hurley told him in the chicken place was relevant?

Any of this making sense to anyone?

Or, alternatively, that would be because Ben isn't important to his mission, and only the 6 candidates/main Oceanic characters need to be influenced by Desmond, guess we will see with that one. The really interesting question that's on my mind is how Desmond seems to know exactly what to do with each character to nudge them in the desired direction. Surely he didn't know anything about Hurley + Libby's experiences on the island, so how did he know any of what Hurley told him in the chicken place was relevant?

Any of this making sense to anyone?

Hurley's explanation of Libby's behaviour (a strong memory of something that hadn't happened) was fairly similar to what Desmond experienced and what Charlie described. I guess he just put two and two together when talking to Hurley.

I wonder why Hurley decided to take them to see Locke? I assume Locke couldn't go to them because of the free-will thing? But then he did go to Sawyer and Sun to recruit/attempt to recruit them.

hurley seemed to change after finding that bag after whats-her-face blew up.

but what was in the bag that made hurley so certain he needed to oppose richard?