IGNORED

Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

It's just weird isn't it? Like the bit where Locke falls down and the well, meets Christian who tells him to say hi to his son. Why would he say that if it wasn't really him? Then yeah on the boat, why pose as him?

In the well, smokey must have wanted Locke to leave, convince everyone to come back to the island, and die in the process. If you remember, Locke failed to convince anyone until he mentioned 'Christian' to Jack. This sparked off the chain of events that led to Locke's death, and everyone else coming back. Smokey must have known that this would happen.

That's the way I saw it, anyway.

As for Michael in the freighter, the only thing I can think of is that Smokey can 'leave' the island, but only out to a certain radius, which the freighter was inside. Bit lame, I know, but it's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

Edit: I misunderstood your point about the freighter. I have absolutely no idea why he posed as Christian there...

I enjoyed the episode - it was obviously a bit of a transition ep, getting characters where they need to be and so on, but still enjoyable. And confirmation that Christian was Smokey? Who can complain about that?

Oh, by the way, some info from the podcast, which I will totally post because IT'S NOT FUCKING SPOILERS, but they confirmed that Keamy did not say "the Island" in that one episode. DON'T BE ANAL.

Also, despite what's been mentioned here, Damon and Carlton confirmed that while they'd be in "radio silence" for a bit after the finale, they will not be "never talking about Lost again" as some have claimed. I mean, I at least expect they'd do some stuff for the eventual DVD/Blu Ray release of the series.

It's just weird isn't it? Like the bit where Locke falls down and the well, meets Christian who tells him to say hi to his son. Why would he say that if it wasn't really him? Then yeah on the boat, why pose as him?

I reckon that when Smokey becomes someone he takes on certain traits of that character. Like with FLocke shouting, "Don't tell me what I can't do!" at the boy when he first appeared etc.

I also reckon that Claire is still with Locke and has been sent to sabotage shit for Widmore.

Oh, by the way, some info from the podcast, which I will totally post because IT'S NOT FUCKING SPOILERS, but they confirmed that Keamy did not say "the Island" in that one episode. DON'T BE ANAL.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!

Nah, just kidding, you can have that one.

Anyway, awesome episode, it's one of the ones where I've been the most excited whilst watching it. Not really due to the island stuff, but the alt-reality stuff has all the characters coming together in almost exactly the way I predicted earlier in the thread. I love the side-flash stuff, haterz be damned!

I was a bit gutted by the Christian reveal, as I was a fence sitter on that one, and would have like to smugly have LOLed at everyone who was wrong. Also, I hope they don't go clearing everything up, I'd like there to be some things us geeks can discuss and argue about on the internet for years afterwards, crawling through every episode again and again, frame by frame, looking for answers.

Still, I'm not 100% convinced Locke wasn't lying, especially as Claire questioning Jack about it afterwards seemed a little off. There are also too many inconsistencies, the freighter, in LA, the thing Care sad "my dad told me, and my friend told me", it just doesn't quite fit. So, perhas we can still have geek debates on that one.

As to why he appeared as Christian on the boat? Though I'm not convinced it was him, a possible explanation is that I think there are limited people he can appear as, I think the person's body needs to be on the island, but I also think they need to be someone whose 'soul' isn't still trapped there. From what Michael was saying, it sounds like your 'soul' is trapped there if you did something bad. So he could appear as Alex, as she was innocent of wrong doing, and he could appear as Christian, Yemi and Locke, as they all died off the island, so their 'souls' were never there (well, Yemi possibly died on island, but was free of 'sin'). Alex died on island, but was free of 'sin', so her 'soul' wasn't trapped.

Anyway, best alt-reality episode. Oh yeah, just remembered Ilana as the lawyer, awesome stuff (she also looked much hotter as a Lawyer).

I reckon that when Smokey becomes someone he takes on certain traits of that character. Like with FLocke shouting, "Don't tell me what I can't do!" at the boy when he first appeared etc.

He does seem to, he also seems to have access to the person's memories (he knew it was Ben who killed him, even though that happened off the island, and some other things I can't remember).

I raised the question earlier about when FLocke was talking about how "before all this" (indicates self) his mother being mad, and it caused "growing pains" (or whatever he said), whether he was actually referring to Locke's mother.

Also, as to Jack not asking Flocke what he was. One of the first things he said was something like "I don't even know what you are" and Flocke replied something like "I think you do, Jack".

Are we assuming that the chances of any sort of scientific explanation for the massive, crazy, murderous cloud of smoke are slimming with each passing episode? When he said "I think you know Jack" I'm assuming he was refering to the fact that Jack knows he's the smoke monster, but doesn't he think Jack might be interested in what the fuck the smoke monster is?

Are we assuming that the chances of any sort of scientific explanation for the massive, crazy, murderous cloud of smoke are slimming with each passing episode? When he said "I think you know Jack" I'm assuming he was refering to the fact that Jack knows he's the smoke monster, but doesn't he think Jack might be interested in what the fuck the smoke monster is?

I think it's just that Jack, as a character, has come to accept that there are things on the island that are just worth accepting rather than knowing about. It's how his character has chanegd from when he arrived on the Island to where he is at now. Jack is now the Man of Faith, as evidenced by his conversation with Sawyer. When he first left the Island, he knew he wasn't supposed to, yet he was too much the Jack of Science then to give in to that. As he is no longer not that person he can just accept that Smokey is Smokey and that's enough for him now. His path lies along doing what the Island brought him to the Island to do, and he now realises that if knowledge of what the Smoke Monster is is part of that, then he will find that out, but if it isn't, then it isn't important to what he has to do.

I still don't think it was Smokey who appeared as Christian.

What? Why on earth not? All the clues have been pointing to that all along - Christian's body was on the island, he appears and vanishes mysteriously, he appears to people who he was connected with in real life - what evidence is there that Christian is anything other than Smokey? I've thought that was the case since Yemi in season 2, when we first started to suspect smokey could appear as dead people.

I don;t think they, the writers, would start dropping such massive red herrings at this point in the story as to have MiB lie about something so important.

Of course Jack is going to ask whether MiB was his father. Far more logical (and keeping in character) than asking about numbers. Jack never really cared about the numbers as much as Locke did. The audience cares about the numbers far more than he does -- he always wanted to resolve his Daddy issues. So I thought it was natural that he asked the MiB that.

Really enjoyed this episode. Are they basically saying that Widmore works for the MiB - hence the double cross? MiB can kill anyone except the candidates (I figure that's why it always 'stared' at people when it met them, before killing them there or another time -- to judge whether they were a candidate) so he's getting Widmore to do it with his artillery. If Jack had been there they would have all been taken hostage and possibly all killed. I wonder if this will still lead to a continuation of the Linus vs Widmore feud. This is the only plotline to me, that feels like it's just been thrown away.

MiB is very sneaky. I'm still not sure what his game is yet. I'm enjoying the ride and not trying to over-think it. And still loving Sawyer as the cop.

What about the idea that Jacob has also been appearing as Christian?

We know he has previously left the island. I'm going to assume that he has some sort of 'powers' and didn't leave by submarine or boat. He also seems to be related to the whole 'the island isn't done with you' thing so it would sort of fit with Christian appearing to Michael on the freighter to tell him the island was finished with him..

Otherwise it just seems like a lot of retconning has been going on :)

What? Why on earth not? All the clues have been pointing to that all along - Christian's body was on the island, he appears and vanishes mysteriously, he appears to people who he was connected with in real life - what evidence is there that Christian is anything other than Smokey? I've thought that was the case since Yemi in season 2, when we first started to suspect smokey could appear as dead people.

I don;t think they, the writers, would start dropping such massive red herrings at this point in the story as to have MiB lie about something so important.

What I can't wrap my head around is why Christians appearances have been so pervasive throughout the run of the show. MiB clearly has his own form, which we've seen now, so why did he repeatedly appear as Christian to people who didn't know Christian? I understand him using the form around Jack and Claire, but why appear as him to show the pictures to Sun and Lapidus? Why not just show up in his real form, it's just a different guy that they've never met.

Also, we've seen smokey take every opportunity he can to manipulate people using his ability to assume to forms of dead people. Yemi and Alex's appearances were relevant to the people who saw them, so why did he appear as Christian to Locke, both in the cabin and at the wheel. Locke's father is dead on the island, and so is Boone, both of whom were important to Locke. And if he for some reason can't use those two, why Christian?

Rewatching this weeks episode, when Locke answers Jacks question he pauses and looks unsure before saying yes. It's laboured in the same way that Jack and Claires exchange about the subject was. I know this is probably going to be the only explanation we get but it just seems like they used Christian throughout as a convenient placeholder until they decided who the powerful figures in the background were going to be.

What I can't wrap my head around is why Christians appearances have been so pervasive throughout the run of the show. MiB clearly has his own form, which we've seen now, so why did he repeatedly appear as Christian to people who didn't know Christian? I understand him using the form around Jack and Claire, but why appear as him to show the pictures to Sun and Lapidus? Why not just show up in his real form, it's just a different guy that they've never met.

Also, we've seen smokey take every opportunity he can to manipulate people using his ability to assume to forms of dead people. Yemi and Alex's appearances were relevant to the people who saw them, so why did he appear as Christian to Locke, both in the cabin and at the wheel. Locke's father is dead on the island, and so is Boone, both of whom were important to Locke. And if he for some reason can't use those two, why Christian?

Rewatching this weeks episode, when Locke answers Jacks question he pauses and looks unsure before saying yes. It's laboured in the same way that Jack and Claires exchange about the subject was. I know this is probably going to be the only explanation we get but it just seems like they used Christian throughout as a convenient placeholder until they decided who the powerful figures in the background were going to be.

But we don't know that the guy we saw the MiB talk to Jacob as is any more his own form than is Locke or Christian. That could've just been another body he found on the island, maybe one he decided to use because it has a significance to Jacob.

Maybe Jacob has the same shape-shifting abilities and it was him?

I agree. It seems odd to me. I suspect there will be a lot of things which won't be fully wrapped up. I want to see lots more about Eloise & Widmore - how they fit in, what they really want etc as well as whatever more they choose to throw our way re Jacob and MIB. We will probably never know how Jacob managed to turn up at key points in candidates lives (did he travel through time or just space?) for example. If Jacob and MIB are brothers it seems reasonable they both have the same powers but we don't even know they are do we?, really just opposing forces of some kind (free will versus determination or "good" versus "evil") with all the biblical analogy stuff thrown in possibly for distraction.

There was that webisode thing too, where after the 815 crash Christian tells Vincent to go wake up his son Jack, as he "has work to do". Vincent didn't know who he was either!

I thought it would be sweet - ghost Christian helping his son discover destiny on the island. But now it was just MiB doing...some stuff. I hate that guy :)

There was that webisode thing too, where after the 815 crash Christian tells Vincent to go wake up his son Jack, as he "has work to do". Vincent didn't know who he was either!

Ah yes good point! Yeah there is something dodgy going on here. I think this is some sort of red herring...