IGNORED

Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

will anyone be re-watching it all from the beginning?

i can see that being a really frustrating experience for some (me included). so can't say i'll bother.

Life's too short for that, but I am enjoying looking through wikipedia and lostpedia's episode, character, and subject summaries. A lot of crazy shit went on that I'd pretty much forgotten.

Yeah to say it was all about the characters is total bollocks. Of course that was part of the show but for me the mythology and island stuff was more important. Like the poster above said it was just a massive Fuck you. There was no way at the start of the season thats what the Alt was supposed to be. It was them just trying (and failing) to put a massive (shit) twist in.

I seriously reccommend you rewatch season 6, then. There are plenty of hints that they planned the end we got all season. Jacks scars are just one of many indications.

I can accept that for some of the characters, but what about, for instance, Hurley's parents or Locke's girlfriend? Or Sawyer's mother fo that matter - he'd spent half his life trying to avenge her, so I guess she'd be pretty significant to him.

Obviously the real reason they weren't there is for production reasons - it'd have made it confusing to have a whole bunch of little (or never) seen characters suddenly appear - but they could've still paid some lip service to the fact that some of the islanders did have significant relationships other than with their fellow survivors.

I took it that these other people had died and moved on and weren't waiting around like the Lostees.

I took it that these other people had died and moved on and weren't waiting around like the Lostees.

But they stated that the 'limbo' was timeless, and that everyone comes together at the same time irrespective of when they died, so why would some people move on without the people they cared for?

I seriously reccommend you rewatch season 6, then. There are plenty of hints that they planned the end we got all season. Jacks scars are just one of many indications.

I'll have to re watch it maybe your right. But the way i see it there's also loads of stuff to say that the bomb worked and created the Alt. All that stuff was basically mis-direction and in some cases down right lies.

Hurley's parents were pretty much scamming him for money and that's about it, as far as I can remember. I can't remember enough about Jack's mother or Charlie's brother to comment.

No not quite, but even if that was the case would you fall out with your mother and farther over money for all eternity?, bit harsh that fella :P.

Anyhow, 24 just finished DL'ing lets see if it can pull it out of the bag instead.

But the way i see it there also load of stuff to say that the bomb worked and created the Alt. All that stuff was basically mis-direction and in some cases down right lies.

Juliet said the bomb worked, most possibly because she'd flash sidewayed and seen the limbo world, where they were all living happily. How could she have known it was a state of limbo she saw, just as our losties didn't even know they were in limbo until awakened? The other bit with Faraday, he went on about a bomb and an explosion, to which he was asked "are you planning to blow up a bomb"? His reply was simpy "I think I already did"

He'd simply seen glimpses of his previous life, but couldn't really comprehend\fully understand what he'd seen, and jumped to conclusions. His pie charts and research stuff is simply something he saw in his awakening, but as a musician he couldn't understand it fully. Faraday in the real world was sure the bomb plan would work, which is why musician Faraday thought it had worked, he hadn't really figured he was acutally dead.

Well I thought it was great.

The whole point, for those of you struggling with it, doesn't seem to have been that they were characters lost on an island, ooh big mystery what's going on etc. It has been said many many times over the last 5 years that Lost isn't a "conspiracy theory" show (a la the X Files), and never was. It has always been about the people far more.

The point? "Lost" refers to the characters themselves, their inner psychological state of mind. Not a one of them was anything even close to being a contented human being (except maybe Rose and Bernard) and so the show was about the people much more than the place. In the end, it was just a place, where ley lines crossed or something like that, deal with it. If you're focusing on those details you have fundamentally missed the whole point.

And yes, there were points where this became uneven. That's television for you in an age where writers are basically trying to write long TV novels (and more power to them) which networks will only greenlight a bit at a time. Cracks appear in that model as a result, it is what it is. Some people being missing from the finale, some plotlines cutting short (Mr Eko is my personal favourite for the character who died way too soon) and so on are just part of the problem. It doesn't mean that the show was deliberately set up to mess viewers around, it's just life.

All in all, a great finale.

No not quite, but even if that was the case would you fall out with your mother and farther over money for all eternity?, bit harsh that fella :D.

Anyhow, 24 just finished DL'ing lets see if it can pull it out of the bag instead.

:P

It's been six years and I've only watched each episode once, so I'm going to have to respectfully bow out before it looks like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Juliet said the bomb worked, most possibly because she'd flash sidewayed and seen the limbo world, where they were all living happily. How could she have known it was a state of limbo she saw, just as our losties didn't even know they were in limbo until awakened? The other bit with Faraday, he went on about a bomb and an explosion, to which he was asked "are you planning to blow up a bomb"? His reply was simpy "I think I already did"

He'd simply seen glimpses of his previous life, but couldn't really comprehend\fully understand what he'd seen, and jumped to conclusions. His pie charts and research stuff is simply something he saw in his awakening, but as a musician he couldn't understand it fully. Faraday in the real world was sure the bomb plan would work, which is why musician Faraday thought it had worked, he hadn't really figured he was acutally dead.

Hmmmm, damm you. Now im going to have to watch it all again see if that makes sense. fffuuuuuuuuuuu :D:P

Some of you need to realise that most people enjoyed the characters but kept watching just to get some bloody answers.

Lots of friends are pretty miffed to say the least. my reaction was..."oh...errrr. Ok then"

which is a big wall of underwhelment. At least show us a whole orientation video!

Well I thought it was great.

The whole point, for those of you struggling with it, doesn't seem to have been that they were characters lost on an island, ooh big mystery what's going on etc. It has been said many many times over the last 5 years that Lost isn't a "conspiracy theory" show (a la the X Files), and never was. It has always been about the people far more.

The point? "Lost" refers to the characters themselves, their inner psychological state of mind. Not a one of them was anything even close to being a contented human being (except maybe Rose and Bernard) and so the show was about the people much more than the place. In the end, it was just a place, where ley lines crossed or something like that, deal with it. If you're focusing on those details you have fundamentally missed the whole point.

I disagree with that. If it's always been a character piece, then why set it on some amazing island of mystery, and why bother setting up those mysteries in such a complex fashion in the first place if they're secondary to the character motivations?

Having the writers dream up a whole slew of mysteries that are not resolved in a satisfactory way for many viewers is not something you can brush under the carpet by saying, "oh, didn't you realise it was all a character piece all along? Those numbers, that smoke, the island that can teleport? Oh that was all just window dressing...". That's a poor excuse IMO.

The mysteries were very much part of the show, in fact it was split down the middle when it comes to characters and mystery. I bet the writers would love you on their side to defend the show with 'oh, all that stuff we wanted you to care about, forget that. It's was about the characters all along'

No, just no.

most people i have spoke to still think they all died when the plane crashed. Some of these have been with it from episode 1, i understood it fine myself but it does appear the ending could have been handled better in that way.

I disagree with that. If it's always been a character piece, then why set it on some amazing island of mystery, and why bother setting up those mysteries in such a complex fashion in the first place if they're secondary to the character motivations?

Having the writers dream up a whole slew of mysteries that are not resolved in a satisfactory way for many viewers is not something you can brush under the carpet by saying, "oh, didn't you realise it was all a character piece all along? Those numbers, that smoke, the island that can teleport? Oh that was all just window dressing...". That's a bullshit excuse IMO.

It always was a character driven show, no doubt about it, BUT it was set on a mysterious island, a magical place. Why? Well, why not, if not, it'd simply have been Eastenders: The Hollywood version. What we got with Lost was classic character driven drama, told in an original way (for a TV production, at least). The writers have even said that the name of the show is based on the lives of the characters, they were all lost and\or confused before they crashed on the island. One of main reasons for the success of the show, was the island and its mysteries, it all added to the overall experience, and the mysteries became part of the characters. Like the island affected our losties, the losties also affected the island in many ways. The show wouldn't have been half as interesting without the characters, but not without the mysteries on that particular island either.

Having the writers dream up a whole slew of mysteries that are not resolved in a satisfactory way for many viewers is not something you can brush under the carpet by saying, "oh, didn't you realise it was all a character piece all along? Those numbers, that smoke, the island that can teleport? Oh that was all just window dressing...". That's a poor excuse IMO.

X2. If this was a "character piece" why have a sci fi / mystery element at all? Revolutionary Road didn't have any time travel did it?

I call shenanigans.

The show wouldn't have been half as interesting without the characters, but not without the mysteries on that particular island either.

So what you're saying is, half and half which I think FF (and myself) was getting at.

Totally agree. To say the characters are the only thing that really mattered, and what the show is centrally about, are in denial IMO. Maybe that was true in S1 (and maybe to an extent in S2) they very deliberately switched the emphasis from S3 onwards. If they never planned to make most of the mystery of the island relevant or explain a lot of it, why bother making it a 'supernatural' island in the first place. It doesn't appear to me after seeing the finale that the supernatural properties of the island are intrinsically linked to the existence of the limbo, unless Hurley created it. But if he did that's pretty weak, because we have no idea how he could possibly have the power to do that. The point is, they could have been all stuck in a prison in the middle of the desert with absolutely nothing beyond understandable, every-day occurences happening, yet the ending could apply to that also. The only thing it serves to show is that they had a weird, shared experience together and all that other quasi-emotional gumff.

Yeah, it's really difficult imagining a single person sticking with those characters for six whole seasons if they hadn't been on a magical island. With the exception of the all-powerful Vincent, obviously.

So what you're saying is, half and half which I think FF (and myself) was getting at.

Pretty much half and half, but the characters were what drove the show, they were the main act. I'm not trying to troll or anything here, personally I loved everything about the show, the characters, the island, the dharma, the others, the black rock etc. Tbh, I think the least thing we should be discussing is wether it was all about the characters or not. If some watched it just for the characters, well, their loss. Lost was about so much more than the characters, but would've been nothing without them.

Ok, a couple of questions, which have probably already been answered:

Why could women not give birth on the island?

Why was there an Egyptian statue with 6 toes?

No reason given for either. But in the spirit of Lost 'explanations':

1). Electromagnetism

2). Egyptians like building statues with 6 toes.

Could it not be:

1. Electromagnetism / Magic Cave etc

2. Egyptians built it to try and appease the God of Fertility and Childbirth

its very weird that the alt purgatory circumnavigated the characters having to deal with why they were all on the island for the last six years. it would have been much more grounded and satisfying to have the island be purgatory (however predictable that was). but the writers thought they were cleverer than that. and imo they weren't.

considering it was only set up at the beginning of the season and makes a lot of what passed before meaningless, it was a cheap get out of jail free card.

It always was a character driven show, no doubt about it, BUT it was set on a mysterious island, a magical place. Why? Well, why not, if not, it'd simply have been Eastenders: The Hollywood version. What we got with Lost was classic character driven drama, told in an original way (for a TV production, at least). The writers have even said that the name of the show is based on the lives of the characters, they were all lost and\or confused before they crashed on the island. One of main reasons for the success of the show, was the island and its mysteries, it all added to the overall experience, and the mysteries became part of the characters. Like the island affected our losties, the losties also affected the island in many ways. The show wouldn't have been half as interesting without the characters, but not without the mysteries on that particular island either.

I agree that the story needed the characters. Had they been a bunch of boring nondescripts or stereotypes it would have been awful. I don't have any beef with the character development, or their story arcs. My disappointment stems from the mystery elements (which were a huge part of the draw for me) being resolved (or not) in an unsatisfactory way. For those of you who thought the island storylines were secondary to the character arcs, then I'm truly glad you enjoyed it, and I don't think you're wrong for enjoying it in that way, but for me there's a big sense of letdown that some of the mysteries that were carefully and lengthily set up have been brushed over or inadequately resolved.

Hurley and his parents seemed to be on good terms once he was back in S4/5, after reconnecting with his dad and the money issue forgotten.

The divisiveness should keep people talking about Lost for a long time, which I guess is good for the writers. Not sure what I think anymore - changes in detail over six years are going to happen, but you can't build a story like this making it up week-to-week either. They definitely messed up a lot of things but handled just as many fantastically. As said above, I don't think the mysteries would be interesting without seeing the characters experience them. It's still a character show to me (as the writers always stated it was), they just pushed it so far towards mystery that it was bound to piss half the fans off. What fans thought the show should be varied so much, it's no wonder they couldn't please everyone and just ended it their way. Hmmm.

its very weird that the alt purgatory circumnavigated the characters having to deal with why they were all on the island for the last six years. it would have been much more grounded and satisfying to have the island be purgatory (however predictable that was). but the writers thought they were cleverer than that. and imo they weren't.

considering it was only set up at the beginning of the season and makes a lot of what passed before meaningless, it was a cheap get out of jail free card.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If they wanted to end on a purgatory note they should have revealed that the island was the limbo all along, or some sort of test for the characters, and once they had proved themselves to be better people/been redeemed, they could return to the lives they really wanted where they are happy (as seen in the alt, until towards the end). It wouldn't have been too hard to factor Jacob/MiB into that, hell, they could even have been God and the Devil, i'd actually prefer that to what we got. Jacob could have been the 'gamemaster', the guy testing the characters to see if they worthy of leaving limbo, getting the lives they could have had if they were better people. And MiB wanting to prove that they're inherently bad people.

I mean it's pretty close to what they already set up and the themes they continually hammered home during the course of the show that it's ludicrous they didn't end it more like that. I think they just didn't want to concede that they wanted the island to be purgatory all along, as people called it far too early and when they started to dismiss it they kind of backed themselves into a corner.

For the record I didn't particularly mind the finale, in fact I really enjoyed it up until the final 15 mins (mainly because it seemed like the characters all meeting up in one place seemed to be building up to something really special, or some sort of convergence) but then... That scene in the church... I don't think i've ever felt so let down and fustrated at a scene in a TV show in my life. Just a massive fuckup to use that ending imo. I'm glad some enjoyed it and thought it fitting, and were moved by it, but it just didn't push my buttons at all.

This meet in the alternative time-line and then stepping into the light, I'm taking this as an event that doesn't just happen to everyone that dies.

It was basically Jack's reward. He got to meet up afterwards with those that mattered most to him, hence why just his dad and no-one elses, and why the invites were lostie plus significant other.

I'm reading a lot into where he washed up after putting the plug back in, but there are parallels between him and smokey. Jack sacrificed himself for the good of the island, he had accepted his death, and saw his part to play in maintaining this 'magical' place that controlled the cycle of life and death. Smokey entered the light unwilling, wanting to leave and ultimately destoy this cycle. His punishment for these wishes manifested to a life of smoke etc.

The main problem with Season 6 has that it effectively was written with just 3 basic outcomes in mind:

1. Smokey dies.

2. Island saved.

3. All the losties live happily ever after, (after-life).

The alternative time line was basically a long con, where the producers had previously exhausted the idea of flashbacks, then introduced flashforwards and saw the positive reaction to that, and then thought how else could they flip it. The payoff was the finale, but in doing so it effectively made the actual flash-sideways themselves extremely insignificant.

So we ended with a finale that was emotionally gripping to watch during, but meant that most of season 6 was just a series of dead-ends. This outcome was always fated, Jacob saw it, Desmond saw it, hell even CJ probably saw it.

But they stated that the 'limbo' was timeless, and that everyone comes together at the same time irrespective of when they died, so why would some people move on without the people they cared for?

Magic cave!

What about Hurley's 'curse' which we were told was caused by the numbers? Just all a coincidence?

Magic cave!

I assumed what with the constant references to free will, and the vaguely religious ending, that a omnipotent thingy is involved.

So the explanations go: god > magic cave > electromagnetism > it was all about the characters anyway.

I'm sure you could make it into a witty tree diagram and thus answer every question.