Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

And he knew the exact way out because he WAS FUCKING AWESOME. Hell, one of the many things he did was manage to piece together a fucked-up plane during an earthquake in less than one hour, A-Team and duct tape-style, so people shouldn't be asking trivia like

"But how did he know the trajectory?!"

'Fuck yeah!'

\

27308.gif

I'm sure others hated it, but I loved it where Frank's working on the plane and just so happens to have a blowtorch with him. No worries about getting one, he just always had one.

As someone who nearly gave up on Lost a few times I don't really know what to think of the finale I was never invested in the shows mythology as much as some people however I did enjoy some of the characters along the ride. After the stellar events and set up from season five I feel slightly let down by most of season six however by the time the finale rolled around I thought they wrapped stuff up neatly and with a minimum of fuss.

One thing is for sure all the theories and stuff available on the net fuelled the direction of this show to a point that the writers got mixed up in the frenzy.

Some of the stuff out there was better than what was produced some of it wasn't there is a gazillion unanswered questions if you are into all that stuff that I'm sure will be continued in fan fiction and other media for a few years to come.

Also the death of Widmore I was like WTF he was meant to be the guy with all the answers and they just got rid of him as if he was an incidental character.

the multi-religiony stained glass window looked well shitey, otherwise it was alright-ish. Laughed that after the island-cork allegory there actually being a big stone cork. Overall over the course of the series I found the Dharma/electromagnetism stuff much more interesting than the jacob/well of souls/tinfoil cave parts they focussed on.

I'm sure others hated it, but I loved it where Frank's working on the plane and just so happens to have a blowtorch with him. No worries about getting one, he just always had one.

I assumed that Widmore's team would have loads of equipment, for fixing the generator to power their fence and that. Not that it would worry me in the slightest if there was no obvious source of a welder.

I would love a two-hour "writing of" Lost documentary, starring Cuse, Lindelof and Abrams. Don't care about "answers", I am just fascinated by the process of trying to put a show like this together.

the multi-religiony stained glass window looked well shitey, otherwise it was alright-ish. Laughed that after the island-cork allegory there actually being a big stone cork. Overall over the course of the series I found the Dharma/electromagnetism stuff much more interesting than the jacob/well of souls/tinfoil cave parts they focussed on.

Yeah I was suprised at how low budget the overall affair was, considering it was the finale. I cringed at the polystyrene boulders falling around and the camera wobble, and the plane CGI was predictably dire, though I can accept that, because I know the limitations of the medium and how difficult it must be to create something like that vaguely convincingly.

I really tried to enjoy the finale, I did, and it was actually really good for the most part. I was loving it up until the final 15 mins, glaring budget-cut effects aside. I think generally they didn't have too much time to develop and polish the finale which is a great shame, but that's TV for you.

Who flew the helicopter? Lapidus.

Who flew the plane? Lapidus.

Guess he knew the bearing to take.

Jacob was an advocate of free will. They had to come to want to be a candidate by their own actions and choices. If those choices let them off the island then so be it.

Who was with them? Alpert. They definitly knew the bearing

It was cool that the escapees on the Ajira plane were mostly people who'd been stranded on the island for years, rather than the numpties who'd come back of their own free will (Kate aside). It was great to see Sawyer, Miles, Claire and (especially) Richard finally get shot of the place. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I loved that aspect of the finale.

It was cool that the escapees on the Ajira plane were mostly people who'd been stranded on the island for years, rather than the numpties who'd come back of their own free will (Kate aside). It was great to see Sawyer, Miles, Claire and (especially) Richard finally get shot of the place. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I loved that aspect of the finale.

I hope Richard is ok in the modern world. Suppose he doesn't know what an iPod is?

but Alpert HAS been off the island wasn't he the one went to little locke and gave him the choice of different items to see if he was "special" but he failed the test then?!

Did they ever explain what that was about? (might be a stupid question)

The copy / paste job from mr rmg was very interesting, particularly this bit:

This was posted by a Writer from Bad Robot that worked on lost (not by me in any way)…

But, from a more “behind the scenes” note: the reason Ben’s not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn’t believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It’s pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church — but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church … and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder — the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ’s ending. And they kept it.

I'm sure some people will call bullshit but I'm happy to believe it.

I was quite slightly bemused watching the finale, from series one onwards, Lost has been my favourite TV show so it was slightly strange to be finally sitting down and watching it. Everyone in here has invested a lot of time in the show so I don't want to knock anyone who wasn't happy with the ending, but for me personally, I thought it it was brilliant.

Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I loved all the flashback moments, partly because it brought back fond memories from earlier in the show and I guess purely from a sentimental point of view, I wanted to see these characters find happiness. Everyone (that mattered to me) came good and found peace and forgiveness and we finally got to see Jack's realisation Locke had been right all along with regards the island.

It did feel like some what of an anti-climax for the fate of the island, everything eventually fell in to place with relative ease but in the end, I do agree with those that say it's more about the characters than the mysteries. I know it's easy to say now, but in hindsight, I think it would have been all but impossible to come up with some amazing reveal that ties up all the main plot points in the space of two hours. You could argue that's just bad writing or series / episode planning, but then there's been occasions this series where they've explained certain things and I've actually felt I would have preferred to have kept it open to interpretation.

At some point I'd like to write some sort of tribute to the show, its had its low points, or rather slow moments, but it's been an amazing journey, made all the better by sharing and reading different theories with all you lovely folk.

:(

Lost, I shall miss you.

This was posted by a Writer from Bad Robot that worked on lost (not by me in any way)…

But, from a more “behind the scenes” note: the reason Ben’s not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn’t believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It’s pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church — but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church … and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder — the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ’s ending. And they kept it.

I'm sure some people will call bullshit but I'm happy to believe it.

Yes indeed. An incredible amount of bullshit right there. :(

Did they ever explain what that was about? (might be a stupid question)

Locke told him to go and see him when he was time travelling in season 5. All set up by smokey to make Locke think he was special and get him to the island.

And Alpert was also the one who recruited Juliet for Mittelos.

It finished over a year ago. How long are people not allowed to say anything about it? If you make the decision not to watch it, you must also be prepared to hear stuff about it from people who have watched it. It's unreasonable to expect it to not be spoiled well over a year after it ended.

215535297_B2j5j-L-2.jpg

No reason given for either. But in the spirit of Lost 'explanations':

1). Electromagnetism

2). Egyptians like building statues with 6 toes.

I assumed the fertility thing was a result of the nuclear detonation, meaning that juliet caused the problem she was bought there to solve?

The statue had 4 toes. Why does anyone build any statues?

Think this has been asked but why didn't Ben go into the church?

Because everything from the moment Jack walked in to the room and touched the casket was written by JJ when he wrote the pilot. Clearly penny, Desmond, Libby and Juliet were either part of the design or the script said "Hurley's love interest", "Sawyer's love interest" and "Desmond's girlfriend". Ben was only originally going to be in three episodes so he isn't in the church.

(Edit: too late)

Storywise, I guess he was waiting for Alex and Danielle?

You know, actually, I think there were more answers in there than you'd think.

To explain, I'm going to compare the Lost ending to Ashes to Ashes - don't worry, I'll spoiler those. It really is unfortunate that they both ended on the same weekend when they had such similar concepts in them. Anyway:

In Ashes to Ashes

the show kind of implies that everyone gets some kind of limbo when they die, there's different versions for all different kinds of people, and what we see is the (or at least one of the) limbo for coppers.

Lost doesn't say this. What Lost says is that the characters on Lost get a limbo because they had some kind of connection to the Island. And this is because the source of the Island is the power of life and death (as stated by CJ from the West Wing). This is why some souls are trapped on the Island (the whispers) and also why some people with exposure to the Island have some sort of powers to do with death (Miles and Hurley). but the people most exposed are Juliet and Desmond. When Juliet is briefly at the centre of a confluence of nuclear explosion and the power of the Island, she gets a glimpse into the Limbo and perceives it as the bomb plan working. When Desmond is exposed to the power of the Island when the hatch explodes he enters a version of the limbo and is told to leave by Eloise (who also must have had some kind of special exposure to the Island, explaining why she knows what's going on). Later, in the final season, his exposure to electromagnetic energy allows him to see into the Limbo again, but not understand its nature.

I think this is the general plan for Lost that they came up with at the beginning. The Island contains the power of life and death which must be contained - and Jacob and MiB fight over that. I'm not sure if they had the idea for the limbo at that point (though the episode where Des gets blown up perhaps suggests they did), but these concepts have clearly been present from very early on.

As for the complaints about science vs fantasy, I think that the producers were completely honest when they said everything on the show could be scientifically explained. But since the show included shit like time travel, teleportation, flying smoke that can turn into people, etc, it's obvious that they weren't going to come up with full equations for everything, because so far all of those things are impossible. But what the programme does show is that the fantastical things you see aren't totally unexplainable magic, like Harry Potter or something. The Dharma Initiative and Daniel Faraday and others show that stuff on the island react to physical forces, and they're beginning to understand the edges of how they work. If they made a sequel to Lost set in the far future with immortal Hurley and Ben playing volleyball all day, we might see far more scientifically advanced people come to the Island and totally understand everything about it.

I like this post.

Anyone complaining that "BUT THEY DIDN'T EXPLAIN WHAT THE ISLAND IS" is mental. It's a magical mad island with time-travel and dead people and shit. How on earth, after six seasons of watching it, is that not clear? Fair enough if you've not watched it all, but... frozen donkey wheel to Tunisia didn't tip you off? Faraday's time-travel experiments? People seeing dead people every series? Kate's horse? Magic ash? No childbirth? That bloody lighthouse? A SMOKE MONSTER?

What exactly constitutes "explain" here? Were you expecting a two-hour lecture with diagrams from Pierre Chang about how exactly quantum mechanics caused this? Yes the writers said a lot of misleading bullshit, but surely about a hundred hours of the actual show is what you consider first? IT! IS! FICTION! WHAT DID YOU WANT?????

And this one.