Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

Because everything from the moment Jack walked in to the room and touched the casket was written by JJ when he wrote the pilot. Clearly penny, Desmond, Libby and Juliet were either part of the design or the script said "Hurley's love interest", "Sawyer's love interest" and "Desmond's girlfriend". Ben was only originally going to be in three episodes so he isn't in the church.

I don't like that explanation, and I hope it's bollocks. Weird as it may sound I prefer the idea that Ben is, for all his occasional moments of helping out, going to hell or indefinitely staying in limbo for being such an absolute heartless bastard for most of his life.

I don't get peoples disbelief that Jack didn't turn into a Smoke Monster just because he went into the cave. It's things like that where you should be creating your own stories and mythologies and expanding the Lost mythology into your own thing, isn't that where the fun of watching it came from?

When MiB went down into the cave he was full of anger and hatred for what his mum had done and denied him all his life, hardly the same as Jack going down there to save the island and everyone he knows and loves. It could've been that Smokey needed all those negative emotions in order to become.

I agree with this, when I do kind of feel people complaining about not having answers to certain thing are just lacking a little imagination.

There are some things I'd have liked to have known, which aren't really answered by the magic cave - like why did they have to enter the numbers which corresponded to the last of the candidates in the hatch computer (before they were even the remaining candidates), and what were the hieroglyphics on the countdown all about, and why was Claire told she had to raise her baby herself or very bad things would happen, or Walt stuff - yet at the same I very munch enjoy coming up with theories for all this myself.

I'd also much rather see these be answered in a kind of encyclopaedia of Lost, rather than in the show itself, and I will be surprised if we never see an official book of this kind being released.

Also, whilst I say I always enjoyed the character stuff, it would be a lie to deny how much I've enjoyed the mysteries over the last 6 series, but I now kind of feel I can keep enjoying them, whereas having answers (like with the whispers, or the whole alt reality) could have been a disappointment.

Can we at least agree that Kate looked amazing in that little black number.

I agree with this too.

Actually there was one moment during that finale that really got me in a classic Lost moment, when Kate said Christian Shepard. I slapped my forehead and said of course, A Christian Shepard, 6 seasons and tens of hours and it never clicked.

Same here, and I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned as part of anyones theories about the show.

Did it even come up in any of the purgatory theories earlier on? (I didn't read any of the Lost threads before this season).

I don't believe that's people's problem with the donkey wheel. It's that it's a non-explanation again; that someone built it is obvious. People wanted to know why the donkey wheel was built. The explanation given was by MiB was that "he just knew" that it would get him off the island. This was even before he was "magical".

He was always special though, like Walt, or Hurley, or Miles, or even Locke, to an extent.

Finally seen it! I've got to say, I loved it from start to finish. Watching that final scene I wasn't at all fussed about the answers we never got or will almost certainly never get. It was great ending for Lost. Maybe it wasn't a great ending per se, but it worked great for the show.

I really loved the scenes with them all remembering, the one that got me for some odd reason was Sayid & Shannon and Claire & Charlie.

The conversation with the MiB and Jack was awesome as well. Not even fussed about theories any more, I understood the ending and liked it. Simple as.

Edit: And fucking Frank! There was no way that motherfucker died on the submarine! Christ, I even knew he hadn't died and still cheered when he turned up in the ocean!

Yep, chalk me and my wife up to the not getting "Christian Shephard" until Kate said it like she did! I expected to miss something like that but was surprised by the wife, who clocked the ending about twenty minutes before it happened.

I wasn't sure if I could watch the series again, without coming across parts which would frustrate, by not ringing true anymore. But I've started season 1 tonight, having never seen it again since it first aired. It's a bit bloody good, so far.

For a while it really seemed like they were just making it all up as they went along, and that each week's writer would immediately contradict stuff from the previous episode, so it's good to get to the end and find out that there was a plan all along, which was... er... something, maybe.

So have I got this right? Assuming that it was MIB in the cabin all along - he posed as Jacob giving veiled orders to Ben's Others for years, one of these being to build a runway on Hydra island.

MIB had chosen Locke to be his loophole to kill Jacob hence the 'Help me [kill Kacob and get off the island]' in the cabin. With Widmore's mercs on their way back, Ben and Locke go to the cabin for advice on what action to take.

MIB now in the body of Christian (claiming he can speak on behalf of Jacob) tells them that the Island has to be moved. Ben moves it and displaces them in time. When Locke goes down the well to fix this MIB (as Christian) tells John he will have to die, obviously inorder for him to take over his body when he does, and gather all the Candidates to come back to the island. So dead Locke and the candidates come aon the plane that lands on the runway that MIB ordered the Others to build, he gets off, tells Richard to tell actual Locke that he has to die, the circle repeats, and Locke uses to Ben to kill Jacob thus completeing the loophole in a rather unnecessarily laborious manner. Yes?

"You have no idea what I've been through to be here"

I know people have come down on this already like a ton of bricks, saying it doesn't matter. But...

Plot elements like Kate seeing the black horse and the strange bird... Those things were written, but what for?

When I write a story I usually have some concept of reason for what I do, so if I were to decide that a character sees a black horse in a place where there are no horses, then I'd write that along side it why that happened. Now as we've discussed there are many strands of Lost that for one reason or other haven't been tied up, but it would be interesting to find out if concepts like the black horse and the statue were simply throw away ideas that they knew would keep the mystery fans hunting, or if those ideas actually had a reason and message, but due to constraints and changes could never be played out.

I'm hoping that it's the latter, and it would be good, as Luke suggested to read about this in a encyclopaedia of Lost one day.

I know people have come down on this already like a ton of bricks, saying it doesn't matter. But...

Plot elements like Kate seeing the black horse and the strange bird... Those things were written, but what for?

When I write a story I usually have some concept of reason for what I do, so if I were to decide that a character sees a black horse in a place where there are no horses, then I'd write that along side it why that happened. Now as we've discussed there are many strands of Lost that for one reason or other haven't been tied up, but it would be interesting to find out if concepts like the black horse and the statue were simply throw away ideas that they knew would keep the mystery fans hunting, or if those ideas actually had a reason and message, but due to constraints and changes could never be played out.

I'm hoping that it's the latter, and it would be good, as Luke suggested to read about this in a encyclopaedia of Lost one day.

I hope to see that too, but I hope more that it is a list of all the ideas they introduced - including unresolved ones - with those given the original resolutions they were going to have, whether they contradict what really happened later or not. For example, it would be nice to find out they originally planned for Walt to take Desmond's role, but due to constrants of the actor ageing and having to fill 4 seasons more worth of content they threw that idea out and found a new somebody who was 'special' (something which we don't know is true or not, but i've been wondering). If they try to make a book where they justify everything that happened in obviously laboured, fake way they can fuck right off. I'd like them to admit that some ideas were just scrapped and swept under the rug and then provide explanations as to why, as well as maybe telling us what the original intentions and natures of these ideas were. That would be a brilliant read.

I did really enjoy all the flashbacks in the finale and seeing all the old characters get reunited and 'remember' the island, but was there really any need to pack so much of that in in the final episode? Why didn't they spread it all across this season so that it didn't seem so clumsy and forced? They had so much limbo flash stuff that really wasn't at all necessary, given how they wrapped it up, so they should have instead given every character a more or less convincing scene of remembering spread across the entire last season. Most in the finale were pretty weak and didn't follow the system they seemed to be setting in the first couple of instances - like Charlie replicating an exact experience/feeling from the Island. Some were just people seeing each other and 'knowing' because there wasn't time to make their meeting situations any more elaborate, which was a bit lazy in my opinion.

I don't fully believe that Bad Robot guy about the ending being in place from the start. I believe for the most part it was, because to me it still seems like the perfect ending to wrap up a 1 or 2 season show, which is fitting if they wrote it intentionally to end what could have been just a 12 or 24 episode run. However I don't think he's being entirely truthful about the nature of the alt, it's far more likely that they were going to have the island as purgatory - or maybe possibly the flashbacks (which I theorised earlier, in fact could have been the original blueprint for the alt-universe/limbo? Certainly the flashes this season reminded me a lot of those we saw in the first couple of seasons). Also is he serious about the final shot always being Jack dying on the beach looking up into the sky and seeing them escape on the plane? What were they going to do, rebuild this one from the scraps of metal smouldering on the beach? Or was another plane going to magically touch down on the island then whisk them away? But even more to the point, we already know Jack was originally going to die after only a couple of episodes, so you can't really argue he's not bullshitting to at least some extent. Nice try though.

Really enjoyed the ending, especially the role reversal in that the sideways universe suddenly became the one where the characters were more up to date with everything than the Islanders... Not too many answers but it still felt like an awesome end to the series.

Lost would have made an amazing Anime, really think there's too much constraint in a TV series to fully realise the ideas the writers had. If you like Anime, I really suggest watching a series called Ghost Hound; like Lost it wraps Psychology/Science/Religion around a constantly unfolding mystery - but it's really tightly written, very smart and has hardly any loose ends.

But even more to the point, we already know Jack was originally going to die after only a couple of episodes, so you can't really argue he's not bullshitting to at least some extent. Nice try though.

I thought Jack was written to die in the very first episode. They wanted to shake up the formula by having the usual main protagonist that the audience gets behind die at the end, creating a sense of confusion for the audience (So everyone is Lost). But they thought Matthew was too strong a guy to loose and wrote him back in during filming.

Again, even that could be bullshit.

watched it last night... was pretty dissapointed to be honest....

Dunno if it's cos I was exhausted, but it confused the hell out of me...

So...

Does the island actually exist?

The flash forwards/sideways from this season were actually glimpses of a special Limbo and they were all dead?

Seems a bit wishy washy to me...

I don't think I wanted all the answers, justa few and it a little bit clearer than the ambiguous stuff we got...

Apologies if this has been posted already but I couldn't see any mention of it.

There is going to be a 12-14 minute epilogue attached to the complete Lost series release which will focus on Ben and Hurley's time as number 2 and 1 respectively.

From Michael Emersen:

“For those people that want to pony up and buy the complete Lost series, there is a bonus feature, which is…you could call it an epilogue. A lost scene. It’s a lot. It’s 12 or 14 minutes that opens a window onto that gap of unknown time between Hurley becoming number one and the end of the series. It’s self-contained, although it’s a rich period in the show’s mythology that ‘s never been explored, so who knows what will come of it.”

The last line sounds like a potential spin-off.

There is going to be a 12-14 minute epilogue attached to the complete Lost series release which will focus on Ben and Hurley's time as number 2 and 1 respectively.

That's a shame. Desmond has already moved me on so I'll never get to give a toss about Lost's answer to Joey.

From Michael Emersen:

The only spin off we need is a Sawyer & Miles cop show.

From Michael Emersen:

which is why they made the alt purgatory and not the island. because once you know what the island is, the story is effectively over.

I thought Jack was written to die in the very first episode. They wanted to shake up the formula by having the usual main protagonist that the audience gets behind die at the end, creating a sense of confusion for the audience (So everyone is Lost). But they thought Matthew was too strong a guy to loose and wrote him back in during filming.

Again, even that could be bullshit.

Jack was supposed to be Michael Keaton, so, yes.

So after the last few days I've watched the episode again a couple of times and dammit, it really is amazing. I've been listening to about 8 podcasts where they discuss the episode and wrap up lost. Of all of them, this has to be my favorite...

http://youvegotgeekonyou.squarespace.com/s...ale-special.mp3

Only 90mins long and has one of the official encyclopedia who works officially with the Lost writers. She talks about things from the perspective of the writers and along with the other presenters I think they really nail it with regards to what the finale was about and why it needed to be like it was. They also helped me understand why people had problems with the end too. Good stuff.