IGNORED

Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

The flash sideways stuff was actually much more interesting than what was happening on the island, so it's a shame it turned out to be utterly inconsequential.

Really? For the most part I thought it was awful. Anytime it went into that world, I just wanted to get back to the island. Ben as teacher? Sawyer as a cop? :eyebrows: The series as a whole didn't work for me but a few episodes stood out and the last episode atleast tied up that world quite nicely

I don't get the argument that Lost was always about the characters and the finale worked on that level rather than anything else. As a character piece it was self-indulgent nostalgia. "Hey don't I know you?"-touch-flashbackflashback-cry-then hugging. For 100 minutes! That's a bit fucking lazy IMO and certainly doesn't constitute an emotional finale on a par when all of the previous ones. And for a Lost finale it was strangely twist-free. And even if you omitted all the flash-sideways from the whole of season 6, the on Island action was still meandering and badly thought-out.

Fuck mystery-answering and that ending, it was rubbish regardless.

I don't get the argument that Lost was always about the characters and the finale worked on that level rather than anything else. As a character piece it was self-indulgent nostalgia. "Hey don't I know you?"-touch-flashbackflashback-cry-then hugging. For 100 minutes! That's a bit fucking lazy IMO and certainly doesn't constitute an emotional finale on a par when all of the previous ones. And for a Lost finale it was strangely twist-free. And even if you omitted all the flash-sideways from the whole of season 6, the on Island action was still meandering and badly thought-out.

Fuck mystery-answering and that ending, it was rubbish regardless.

Obviously, it wasn't just that. The killing of Smokey, the new Jacob in Hurley, Richard finally being able to age. As for the finale of them all meeting, think back to when they first came on the island. Pretty much all the characters were alone in the world, having no purpose in life. Sawyer, the conman, Kate the criminal, Sayid, the touture's past, it goes on. Over the course of the island, they connected, they got what they were looking for, to be wanted and accepted.

They had that in season one!

No they didn't! :eyebrows: Well, some were getting along but not all, Michael and Jin spring to mind. Jacob even tells them their lives were worthless in the real world.

Personally, I thought there was too much time dedicated covering the purgatory storyline and by no means will I call it a perfect ending but I thought it was a fitting ending for the main protagonists.

They had that in season one!

Yeah - which is a point i've been trying to make. Ignoring the smokey/Jacob stuff which was only thrown into the mix later, this felt entirely like a finale that would be fitting for the first season. But considering everything that came around the time of S3 and onwards, it was just completely ill-fitting to use that limbo nonsense as a wrap-up - it had become a different show from that point.

Not to mention it was very lazily done and the emotional stuff was so trite and forced. For the most point they didn't even bother to make any of the situations in which the old characters met at all correlate to stuff that happened on the island. Oh hi Shannon! I remember you *cry* OK then. Great. Some nostalgia but in the end it just felt way too haphazard and lazy.

See, I was the same but it's starting to make some sense

What exactly did everyone want answered?

I dunno, I don't think I wanted that much answered, just something a bit more interesting than "oh, we're all dead and in a strange limbo thats only been around for this season, but that's cool cos the islands fucking mint"..

Hell mib's death was crap. He loses his power, cos the island gets shut down, gets in a fight and falls off a cliff... BOOORING.

He goes from this amazing enigma to a pussy in one fell swoop... fuck it, i'd of had him drop the Locke looks and go back to his old self... maybe even Jurrasic Park 3 it, and let him lose on downtown LA whilst the gang race to turn the island off...

Christ, it would of been better if the island had turned out to be some kind of giant spaceship that crashed millions of years ago.... at least that would have made a bit more sense than "its got the power of life and death" really? how?? how can a fucking island move yet be plugged into the earth???

The more I think about it the more disapointed I get... the whole thing as just so wishy washy...

Ashes to Ashes/LoM 's ending worked because it was consistant with everything that had gone on. You canactually believe it's what was planned all along...

Lost's ending just seems like they winged it big time and fudged the whole thing to make it look liek they knew what they were doing... my guess is that they saw it as a 2 season max series, and probably couldn't believe their luck when it took off the way it did.

Right, i'm going to stop now before I start getting angry! :eyebrows:

The island was lost's biggest character, and the finale choose to ignore the part it played for the last six years.

The only question that needed answering was "what was the island?" if this was done well all its mysteries would have made sense.

It seems the only reason that wasn't answered was so disney can grind the continuation of the franchise into the ground at a latter date.

Because let's face it, once we know what the island is, the story is over.

Footballs are in aisles 8 and 15.

Well I finally caught up, I watched all 19 epsiodes in one week (about 14 hours), but, as Despin points out, only about 5 hours worth of stuff has happened. Hey, I wished they would have killed Charlie off too, and concentrated on the numbers, the hatch and the beast. But it's a character piece first, not a mysterous island show first.

From my very first post in this thread. What's my prize?

why did it matter that the island in Limbo was underneath the sea, by the way? that was the big "POW" moment of the start of the season opener and it had absolutely no relevance once it turned out they were all dead did it?

I've watched all Lost episodes up until midway season 3, then stopped because of time constrains. Would like to resume watching again, however I feel like I've forgot some of the plot bits, which site would you guys recommend me where I can read about the plot of season 1 2 3 with no spoilers for the rest of the seasons? Cheers!

Ok after an orgy of Lost on Sky last night and a mega recap of this thread, I've picked out a few of the key quotes which sum it up well.

Was anyone else waiting for the plane to get blown to fucking bits when they were taking off?

I simply don't get this. The explosive was there, planted by Widmore and seen by flocke and no-one removed it did they?

Unambiguously happy and sentimental endings aren't my cup of tea, but that's a question of taste. The side flashes lead us down the garden path a bit with some early misdirection this season, and Ashes to Ashes spoiled the surprise a little, but it all felt right while I was watching. I was given most of the moments I'd have wanted, it was a nice greatest hits set to finish on.

I feel a bit like the moral is: some shit happened, but it's over now, you quite liked hanging about with these pretty people while it lasted, now let's move on.

This post sums it up my attitude as well I think.

will anyone be re-watching it all from the beginning?

Definitely, one final time for completeness, to appreciate the manipulations of MiB along the way, and for the many high points in the journey.

For the record I didn't particularly mind the finale, in fact I really enjoyed it up until the final 15 mins (mainly because it seemed like the characters all meeting up in one place seemed to be building up to something really special, or some sort of convergence) but then... That scene in the church... I don't think i've ever felt so let down and fustrated at a scene in a TV show in my life. Just a massive fuckup to use that ending imo. I'm glad some enjoyed it and thought it fitting, and were moved by it, but it just didn't push my buttons at all.

I was expecting a lot more really. when it became apparent at the end of the last show that there was going to be a big meet at the concert.

The alternative time line was basically a long con, where the producers had previously exhausted the idea of flashbacks, then introduced flashforwards and saw the positive reaction to that, and then thought how else could they flip it. The payoff was the finale, but in doing so it effectively made the actual flash-sideways themselves extremely insignificant.

I think I expected a lot more of the last scene with fLocke and Jack - it all seemed a bit simplistic really - take the bung out and the smoke monster becomes as mortal as anyone else. Really wanted more there after the long build up to a mega conflict.

Also much more on Eloise who is never fully developed.

Casually killing off some previously enigmatic characters such as Widmore this series whilst dwelling on Sun and Jin's last minutes is annoying too.

Pleased for Rose and BerNARD though (and whoever guessed they had rescued Desmond from the well). And a resolution of the #1 mystery of all time - what happened to the dog.

Overall, geat show which could never live up the fan's expectations and needs to be enjoyed for what it is, not what wasn't well enough resolved.

I wonder if MiB thought that it would still be Jacob in charge at the end when Desmond moved the stone, and gambling on the fact that his brother wouldn't have the stomach to kill him? It all unraveled for him when Jack took over, up to that point he could just carry on moving goalposts and taking the piss as long as it ended with him, Desmond and Jacob by the cave.

That forgets MiBs massively complicated plan to obtain Locke's form and get Ben to kill Jacob.

I'm not sure he knew it would happen. He seemed surprised to be bleeding when Jack hit him.

Yeah, people seem to think that Flocke knew he had to become mortal to leave the island, yet a point was made that he seemed surprised that Jack could harm him dater the cave was disabled, and Jack even said "looks like you were wrong too", which I assumed meant he'd messed up and removing the plug had de-smokified him.

Frank knew the exact vectors and directions as he'd already piloted the helicopter to and from the Island.

The co-ordinates do change though. They were different for Michael and Lapidus, and after the flashes Farraday said he had to work out "when" they were before he could work out safe coordinates to leave the island.

Plot elements like Kate seeing the black horse and the strange bird... Those things were written, but what for?

When I write a story I usually have some concept of reason for what I do, so if I were to decide that a character sees a black horse in a place where there are no horses...

They probably did have reasons, just because they didn't give us those reasons, doesn't mean they didn't have them. Also, those two are perfect examples where the reason could be nothing more than showing us weird shit happens on the island.

Oh, and there were horses on the island, the Others had some, see the episode with Mikhael in.

QUOTE (Twyford @ May 26 2010, 01:10 PM) *

Frank knew the exact vectors and directions as he'd already piloted the helicopter to and from the Island.

The co-ordinates do change though. They were different for Michael and Lapidus, and after the flashes Farraday said he had to work out "when" they were before he could work out safe coordinates to leave the island.

Mind you, we don't know they did make it off the island, just that they flew over Jack!

The only question that needed answering was "what was the island?" if this was done well all its mysteries would have made sense.

I've said this before (as have others) but seriously, considering what all has happened over the years in Lost, how the hell could you explain what the Island is without it being a "magic island"? Don't think there's anything in real life that can do the stuff that island did.

I've said this before (as have others) but seriously, considering what all has happened over the years in Lost, how the hell could you explain what the Island is without it being a "magic island"? Don't think there's anything in real life that can do the stuff that island did.