Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

Just had thought - presumably, Jacob and mib would have gone back in time when the island was flashing around different time periods. Maybe the mib aka smokey approached himself as a kid and taught him how to build the donkey wheel etc etc? Explaining how he just 'knows' things, and how he seemed to be more evil than Jacob.

Not everyone jumped through time though. The Others didn't and Claire didn't, and I assume Jacob and MiB didn't either.

I like how it was Claire's fanny that made Kate remember the island. Claire must have a very memorable fanny

Julliet's fanny clearly failed to trigger Jack's memory though, as he managed to pop a baby in there without remembering anything.

It's also interesting that their collective consciousness created a reality where Jack got to bone Sawyer's sole mate. Was that to make up for the time Kate and Sawyer humped in the cages?

They probably did have reasons, just because they didn't give us those reasons, doesn't mean they didn't have them. Also, those two are perfect examples where the reason could be nothing more than showing us weird shit happens on the island.

Oh, and there were horses on the island, the Others had some, see the episode with Mikhael in.

Yeah, I thought that was the explanation for the horse - it just served to remind Kate of the horse from her past.

This thread has moved way too quickly for me to have read it all, so I'm sorry if this has already been asked/mentioned. I haven't got the episodes any more to check but I think the whole time frame of the alt/limbo happens within the space of a day (or at least the concept of a day as we know it). Just focusing on a couple of people here, but Desmond meets Widmore straight from the plane, Widmore asks him to pick up Charlie for a concert that evening (and there is an urgency about making sure he is there). Eloise is setting up the seating and venue if I remember rightly, and Desmond meets Farday there and then Penny after that. So he meets Penny, has the big revelation and starts tracking people down. Meanwhile Locke meets Jack, Jack offers surgery, Locke declines, Locke becomes a teacher, Jack meets Claire, Jack goes to will reading, Desmond runs over Locke, Jack gets called out of the will reading, operates on Locke, Locke recovers from that, changes his mind and accepts Jack's offer, has back surgery, Jack finishes surgery, goes to the concert, and everyone meets up for the big love in. All on the same "day" the plane landed.

It reinforces the "there is no now" of the limbo. I really like it.

OR, I've got it really wrong.

Desmond goes into the cells by Sayid and Kate, they get moved the next morning.

Sawyer goes on a date with Charlotte, Miles has a go at him for screwing it up the next day.

There does, however, seem to be a vit of an inconsistency, so I like your basic idea of the "there is no now" being reinforced through the progression of the flashes. I'll have to watch again though.

Not everyone jumped through time though. The Others didn't and Claire didn't, and I assume Jacob and MiB didn't either.

Julliet's fanny clearly failed to trigger Jack's memory though, as he managed to pop a baby in there without remembering anything.

It's also interesting that their collective consciousness created a reality where Jack got to bone Sawyer's sole mate. Was that to make up for the time Kate and Sawyer humped in the cages?

How do we know claire etc didn't move timelines when the island was constantly flashing? Im sure i read that it was suggested that it was Claire who was shooting Sawyer and Juliet etc in the boat when they were flashing through time? May be just my memory though.

So how long do you think you think it'll be before this thread dies? Or will we really talk about it for years like they said we would...

I think those who felt cheated in the end will let out some steam a week or two after watching the finale, then move on, while those who liked it will search for places where likeminded discuss the show, and perhaps wank over it collectively for years.

How do we know claire etc didn't move timelines when the island was constantly flashing? Im sure i read that it was suggested that it was Claire who was shooting Sawyer and Juliet etc in the boat when they were flashing through time? May be just my memory though.

Ok, I've explained this before but can't possibly find the post in this monster thread, so will try and remember it again.

We know Richard didn't flash, as he mentions seeing Locke dissapear from infront of his eyes, we also know he didn't jump with Locke, as he wasn't there after the flash.

When Flocke returns to the island and meets up with Richard at the beach, there are a group of Others with him, and when Flocke asks, Richard says there is another group at the temple, I'm pretty sure (as I remember writing this before) that this was before everyone else had flashed back from the 70s.

The temple others and Claire made several references to run-ins between them.

It could well have been Claire shooting at the guys in the outrigger, but that is because they had flashed to the timeline she was in (the timeline in series 6).

Also, it's very unlikely the Others time jumped for the simple reason that there would have been two generations of others on the island at the same time, and to not show of mention any interactions between them would be ridiculous.

I've said this before (as have others) but seriously, considering what all has happened over the years in Lost, how the hell could you explain what the Island is without it being a "magic island"? Don't think there's anything in real life that can do the stuff that island did.

Rules.

We were having a chat this morning, in a post night out sort of way. The discussion about exactly how they'd explain things came up. They could use science theory to explain a lot of stuff, things like quantum mechanics, string theory and the like. So Science, but stuff that we don't fully understand, which gives them some grounds to add their own take on it. But still that might not be the best solution, what we did think of was to get a list of rules, like Jacobs 10 commandments, which gives us a something to reflect back over the entire show, understanding what and why things happend because they were under the orders of Jacobs rules, or even the overriding rules of the Island.

The only question that needed answering was "what was the island?"

It's an island with a pocket of unusual electromagnetic energy underneath it which gives it unusual properties and that for innumerable years morons have been mistaking for magic.

The co-ordinates do change though. They were different for Michael and Lapidus, and after the flashes Farraday said he had to work out "when" they were before he could work out safe coordinates to leave the island.

You can still fly through the crazy electromagnetic bubble without the co-ordinates, surely? Maybe Frank just ointed the thing forward and slammed the power to full, knowing they wouldn't have enough fuel to fly home anyway and forcing the plane out of the islands radius and into open sea, where they could get in a life raft?

I was thinking today about Walt and the first season. I know that he was kidnapped by the others, partly because he was growing too fast, but also because they had been instructed to get him. Now, I reasoned before that Desmond was Walt's replacement in the original story. I mean, I reckon Walt would have been resistant to the electromagnetism on the island, just like Desmond turned out to be. Now, as Ben was taking orders from what he thought was Jacob but turned out to be Smokey all along, do we think that the order to grab Walt was so that Walt could be used to remove the bung or do what Jacob did if the show had not run for as long as it did? So, if the show had only been good for one season, would we have seen Walt having to perform the stuff that Desmond ending up doing? I was just wondering why they wanted Walt, and the birds and him being special, and if it was all under Smokey's instructions then I reckon that was what it was for.

I was thinking today about Walt and the first season. I know that he was kidnapped by the others, partly because he was growing too fast, but also because they had been instructed to get him. Now, I reasoned before that Desmond was Walt's replacement in the original story. I mean, I reckon Walt would have been resistant to the electromagnetism on the island, just like Desmond turned out to be. Now, as Ben was taking orders from what he thought was Jacob but turned out to be Smokey all along, do we think that the order to grab Walt was so that Walt could be used to remove the bung or do what Jacob did if the show had not run for as long as it did? So, if the show had only been good for one season, would we have seen Walt having to perform the stuff that Desmond ending up doing? I was just wondering why they wanted Walt, and the birds and him being special, and if it was all under Smokey's instructions then I reckon that was what it was for.

Good theory that, makes a lot of sense. I also thought that maybe Walt was the original Desmond before they realised they needed to fill so many seasons, but I hadn't gone so far as to put the pieces together RE Ben's original motivation to order the kidnapping of Walt, and that in fact even then he was following the smoke monster's bidding. Presumably then the rest of the islanders/Michael would be threatened to push Walt into doing what the smoke monster needed him to do.

One thing that I never really properly deduced from the finale - did the smoke monster actually know where the light was all along then? Because at one point he said he'd been looking for years, then in the finale he ends up taking Jack straight to it like he knew all along. Was he deliberately being obsequious, and actually meant that he'd been looking for a way to reach it/enter it (ie looking for a willing participant with resistances to the force of it) or was it just another example of a glaring plothole/overlooked inconsistency on the writers' part?

I thought the Others kidnapped Walt for the same reason that they kidnapped all the other kids - because the Other woman can't have children of their own. It's not until after they kidnap him that they realise he's "special". Tom says "we got more than we bargained for with this one", or words to that effect in season 2.

I thought the Others kidnapped Walt for the same reason that they kidnapped all the other kids - because the Other woman can't have children of their own. It's not until after they kidnap him that they realise he's "special". Tom says "we got more than we bargained for with this one", or words to that effect in season 2.

I don't think Tom was that high up in the food chain to know exactly why they kidnapped him. Plus, by the point they say that, which is in season 2 or 3, IIRC, the fact that Walt was no longer a going concern in the show probably forced that line out. It smacks of them retconning Walt out of the main story and to allow Desmond to perform that role.

It would be great if somehow there was a new series, and we didn't know it was a sequel, or prequel, to LOST, and we were all, oh wow, this show is ace, it's like the next LOST, then in the final episode someone discovered a magic cave, and we'd all be "OMFG, it is the next LOST, it was set on the same island all this time, and we never realised!!!".

Never going to happen though, as "the internet" would work it out after the first episode, and then they'd rewrite it so that it was set in purgatory instead.

This is a still someone took from season 2 when we're first down the hatch. What the fuck's happened to Penny!?

;)

Awesome. I love non-properly-cast characters in photos who show up later and look completely different. See also: Ellen in Battlestar Galactica.

One thing that I never really properly deduced from the finale - did the smoke monster actually know where the light was all along then? Because at one point he said he'd been looking for years, then in the finale he ends up taking Jack straight to it like he knew all along. Was he deliberately being obsequious, and actually meant that he'd been looking for a way to reach it/enter it (ie looking for a willing participant with resistances to the force of it) or was it just another example of a glaring plothole/overlooked inconsistency on the writers' part?

Only the 'protector' can find it. Anyone else who looks for it, even if they know where it should be, will find nothing.

Flocke only went there with Jack, who was the protector at the time.

Only the 'protector' can find it. Anyone else who looks for it, even if they know where it should be, will find nothing.

Flocke only went there with Jack, who was the protector at the time.

Doesn't really sound like it needs much protecting then, and, in fact, that having a protector around actually makes it more vulnerable.

There's a pretty decent response to the video of 100 Things Unanswered by Lost video here. Also, a bit more detailed answer/theory about why Nadia wasn't with Sayid in the church at the end here:

One of the criticisms that makes me think people really weren’t watching the final episode of Lost that closely, which I’ve seen all over the place, showed up in comments today:

I agree with much of the criticism and I’ll throw in one of my own: Shannon. I know Sayid’s lost love from iraq wasn’t on the island, but she’s the one he should have wound up with.

See, here’s the thing: the entire point of the “afterlife” isn’t to make people happy, because what was evident from the entire season was that given a chance, some people are just going to keep punishing themselves for their sins, imagined or otherwise. Locke did it (stuck back in the wheelchair, and this time it was genuinely his fault as opposed to somebody else doing it to him). Charlie did it (hedonistic rockstar lifestyle which actually just made him desperately unhappy). And Sayid especially did it, giving himself an afterlife where not only was the supposed love-of-his-life not his wife but where he’d still done all the horrible things he felt guilty about, and on top of that he was forced to do things that would only isolate him further from her.

It’s obvious why Sayid constructed his afterlife in that way: because as much as he loved Nadia, the primary emotion she inspired in him was guilt, both for what he did directly to her/allowed to happen to her in their younger days and for allowing her to die when he got back from the island. That’s exactly why Nadia couldn’t be the one to help Sayid “let go” – the guilt she represented was what he clung to hardest. And that’s why it had to be Shannon who made Sayid remember again: because she was the only memory of happiness strong enough to make him do it.

And this is consistent with the other afterlives. Locke’s lady disappears once he remembers (triggered by feeling his feet again and suddenly remembering the first time he felt them again, not by Twoo Wub) because she was never really there, just like Nadia wasn’t really there. Jin and Sun’s memories aren’t triggered by their love for one another but by seeing their child again/for the first time. And so forth.

There's a pretty decent response to the video of 100 Things Unanswered by Lost video here.

I hadn't seen the questions before, some are so retarded.

I like the following answer:

15.) What happened to the original Henry Gale Who the fuck cares?