Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

But neither was Kate since she'd adopted Aaron as her own off the island.

Jacob said she was still a candidate.

Where did the idea she wasn't because she adopted Aaron off the island come from?

Where did the idea she wasn't because she adopted Aaron off the island come from?

Because the candidates all had lives that were missing something and they were "alone", Kate's adoption of Aaron mean that she finally had something in her life, meaning she wasn't a massive fuck up anymore. I think that was the idea anyway.

Because the candidates all had lives that were missing something and they were "alone", Kate's adoption of Aaron mean that she finally had something in her life, meaning she wasn't a massive fuck up anymore. I think that was the idea anyway.

Except the whole point of her going back to the island was that she realised she was still a fuck-up and had been raising Aaron for selfish reasons, wasn't it?

I'm taking it there's no official source to this theory then?

That's what Jacob told her - the Aaron thing - that's why she was crossed off. He then told her she was still on the list. Or, he told her she was still on the list then explained why she was crossed off in the cave. Either way she was crossed off the cave list because of Aaron, because she had someone else to be responsible for.

Jacob suggests that he crossed Kate's name off the list when she became a mother - suggesting that she was no longer considered her a candidate. While Jacob does say that the list is ultimately a bit pointless, I took it to mean that Jacob didn't see her as an ideal candidate, but the job was still open if she wanted it.

The idea that Sun wasn't a candidate has even less to support it.

The idea that Sun wasn't a candidate has even less to support it.

Well, if you accept the theory/explanation for Kate, then surely the same must apply to Sun, she had responsibilities too.

My Sun theory is just a theory, but I've seen no other theory as to why some people got displaced in time whilst others didn't. To me it makes some sense that those displaced in time were the candidates, and those who weren't weren't. It especially makes sense when you consider that MiB built the wheel and it was his plan to get Ben/Locke to turn it, perhaps he wanted the candidates displaced in time and out of his way. The biggest sticking point is Vincent though, who did get displaced in time too.

This is all just a theory though, I know I stated it fairly bluntly, but that's because I was going with the style of the other answers given in the link.

I'm so glad they didn't answer all these things though, so we can go on theorising about them.

give it a few months, i bet they announce a follow up :ph34r:

I can imagine all the fan fiction that will be spreading across the net. The adventures of Hurley and Ben.

As much as I would love to see that story, what I want is see is when the Ajira plane lands in the real world. How the fuck are they going to explain that a plane that was carrying five of the Oceanic Six disappeared, suddenly reappears weeks later with only one of those six returning, one thought to be dead passenger of Oceanic 815 and the rest of the passengers gone?

Really disapointed in it myself. Granted, I haven't liked Lost in a long time, but I could never have imagined an ending that bad.

Ultimately I think it was a victim of its own success. It went on for far far too long as the network had a real cash cow in it. It was filled with so much chaff it would have been a miracle if they managed to salvage it. I was in it for the island, but even the backgrounds of the characters became so dull.

I can imagine all the fan fiction that will be spreading across the net. The adventures of Hurley and Ben.

As much as I would love to see that story, what I want is see is when the Ajira plane lands in the real world. How the fuck are they going to explain that a plane that was carrying five of the Oceanic Six disappeared, suddenly reappears weeks later with only one of those six returning, one thought to be dead passenger of Oceanic 815 and the rest of the passengers gone?

"Magic island"

Anyway, lets start making a list of possible Lost spin-offs:

1) The Initiative: Spin-off show focussing on the Dharma Initiative, their background, what they were doing on the island, what happened to them after the bomb, etc...

2) Lapidus: an A-Team / MacGyver type show where Frank Lapidus, who ends up back in the 70s due to leaving the island on the wrong bearing, busts up criminal gangs using his awesome skillz, blow torch, and duck tape. Occasionally teams up with Sawyer and Miles, for added awesomeness.

3) The Odd Trio: She's black, he's white, he's a dog. A hilarious 70s style sitcom about a black woman, white man, and a dog who live in a hut on a beach. Every week they need to rescue a drunken Scottish monk from a different well.

4) Shut up and Strip: The Kate spin-off show you know you all want.

5) Paik to the Future: After finding out her dad was a stupid dick who drowned himself rather than trying to leave the island to raise her, Ji Yeon Kwon takes on her mother's maiden name and uses the family fortune to locate the island, in order to destroy it as vengeance for her mother's death. Misunderstanding the island's power, she tries destroying it by turning the Donkey wheel, and each episode sees her jumping into a different point in time in the future of the island, whilst all the time she is seeking a way to stop the time jumps, and destroy the island.

6) Penny for your Thoughts: The Desmond spin-off. After going in to the light Desmond's consciousness is constantly skipping through time, and in each episode he needs to track down Penny, his constant, to stop his consciousness (or thoughts), from jumping through time. Massive cameo potential for the rest of the LOST cast, and a role for Farraday trying to find more permanent solution to Desmond's problem.

6) Penny for your Thoughts: The Desmond spin-off. After going in to the light Desmond's consciousness is constantly skipping through time, and in each episode he needs to track down Penny, his constant, to stop his consciousness (or thoughts), from jumping through time. Massive cameo potential for the rest of the LOST cast, and a role for Farraday trying to find more permanent solution to Desmond's problem.

Ah sounds like Sliders. I like that.

I'm rewatching season 1 at the moment. Couple of questions which may have been discussed before, but:

When Locke is confronted by Smokey, I didn't see any black smoke, just the noise and movement, so is this actually Smokey that let's him see into the heart of the island?

Is there any significance when an episode starts with an 'eye' as to which eye it is?

I think that the right eye openings, which I may be wrong, are the final surviving candidates (?) where as the left eyer's die at some point (?)

Anyway, lets start making a list of possible Lost spin-offs:

2) Lapidus: an A-Team / MacGyver type show where Frank Lapidus, who ends up back in the 70s due to leaving the island on the wrong bearing, busts up criminal gangs using his awesome skillz, blow torch, and duck tape. Occasionally teams up with Sawyer and Miles, for added awesomeness.

That's the mother-fucking winner right there! Make it happen!

I'd probably watch that.... sadly.

Ok, one last couple of things:

What did the bomb do? Jughead, I mean? I accept (shut it, Venice) that it went off, but what did it do? Did it lead to the building of the hatch and the typing in of the numbers for 27 years?

I mean, if the bomb went off, catapulted the losties back to 2007 and was held in check in the hatch by typing in the numbers, how did they get the hatch built so quickly to contain the blast in the first place? I don't get it.

I mean, if the bomb went off, catapulted the losties back to 2007 and was held in check in the hatch by typing in the numbers, how did they get the hatch built so quickly to contain the blast in the first place? I don't get it.

Whether or not it was the bomb that caused the incident that caused the hatch to be built, the question of how it was built in 108 minutes still remains.

Whether or not it was the bomb that caused the incident that caused the hatch to be built, the question of how it was built in 108 minutes still remains.

I just checked the episode where they watch the first video after opening the hatch (season 2, ep3) and Mr Chang says that the swan was originally built to try and understand the unique electromagnetic fluctuations that were going on in that part of the island. He then goes on to say that shortly after the experiments began there was an incident and since then, they button needed to be pushed every 108 minutes.

Which would indicate that Jughead was not the incident as the swan station was not built at that time, so we never found out exactly what the "incident" was.

What's also interesting is the fact that the hatch and the swan are pretty close to where the Losties crashed on the island, which we now know to be pretty close to the "magic cave". I suppose this would explain the unique electromagnetic shit going on in that region of the island.

Man, I really am going to have to watch them all again to see if what we discovered at the end does fit in with everything.