Lost - The Full Series Thread

Goose

I just checked the episode where they watch the first video after opening the hatch (season 2, ep3) and Mr Chang says that the swan was originally built to try and understand the unique electromagnetic fluctuations that were going on in that part of the island. He then goes on to say that shortly after the experiments began there was an incident and since then, they button needed to be pushed every 108 minutes.

But the idea of the bomb was to cancel out the incident that led to the hatch being built, which led to the button being pressed, which led to Desmond not pressing it, which led to Oceanic 815 crashing on the island. Also, they have been known to lie in those videos anyway.

Either way, they'd still have had to pour all that concrete down there around the magnetism in record time.

I guess maybe what Jughead did was cancel out the incident that was clearly happening, caused by the drilling, before the bomb went off, and allowed them time to build the hatch, before they then experimented and set off another incident.

Jughead going off was the Incident. Remember they had to fill the hole with concrete like Chernobyl. I think that explosion going off right near the light of the island made it unstable. They could easily fill the hole in with concrete in 108 minutes. Coming up with the button pressing in that time stumps me.

With him talking about the incident happening after the experiments, I think they were already experimenting on that site before the bomb went off.

The Man in black got thrown in to the light and came out a smoke monster. A bomb going off in the light caused the island to be very unstable until 2004.

Nope, that was an incidental sound effect. :)

If the bomb didn't go off what transported them through time to 2007? The flashes had stopped for three years, if the nuclear explosion on the pocket of energy wasn't what triggered another one, what was?

Explode.

If it did, why didn't it take half the island with it?

But the idea of the bomb was to cancel out the incident that led to the hatch being built, which led to the button being pressed, which led to Desmond not pressing it, which led to Oceanic 815 crashing on the island. Also, they have been known to lie in those videos anyway.

Either way, they'd still have had to pour all that concrete down there around the magnetism in record time.

I guess maybe what Jughead did was cancel out the incident that was clearly happening, caused by the drilling, before the bomb went off, and allowed them time to build the hatch, before they then experimented and set off another incident.

I quite like that explanation. I guess it's a possibility.

Jughead going off was the Incident. Remember they had to fill the hole with concrete like Chernobyl. I think that explosion going off right near the light of the island made it unstable. They could easily fill the hole in with concrete in 108 minutes. Coming up with the button pressing in that time stumps me.

With him talking about the incident happening after the experiments, I think they were already experimenting on that site before the bomb went off.

The Man in black got thrown in to the light and came out a smoke monster. A bomb going off in the light caused the island to be very unstable until 2004.

Fill the hole with concrete in 108 minutes after a hydrogen bomb had just gone off!? Really?

And they weren't doing any experiments on that site. They were just digging, looking for the source of the electromagnetism, just like the MIB did 2000 years prior to that.

If the bomb didn't go off what transported them through time to 2007? The flashes had stopped for three years, if the nuclear explosion on the pocket of energy wasn't what triggered another one, what was?

He's just being sarcastic with me, Broker. I argued at the time that we never physically saw the bomb go off. I was told the orchestral boom and the fade to Lost on a white background was proof that it had gone off. Something he won't let me forget.

Thing I want to know though, is where did the blast go? Why did it fling them back to 2007 if it went off? It was nothing like the Donkey Wheel rocking on its axis or anything like that.

No one, anywhere has given a concrete explanation of what happened with Jughead.

Maybe it worked the opposite way to how Faraday thought it would? He said that the explosion would cancel out the energy, maybe the energy just canceled out or absorbed the explosion?

This. The light absorbed the explosion. The bomb had to go off as it forced them back to 2007.

If the bomb didn't go off what transported them through time to 2007?

Well, it could have been all the electromagnetism shit that was going off due to drilling into the pocket of energy.

I absolutely think it was the bomb though, not that that actually makes any more sense.

693px-Cleanwall-707484.jpg

Look at the top left and something about the Caduceus station. It mentions the an incident in 1985. So maybe Jughead wasn't the incident.

The Caduceus station is the Staff. Radzinsky made the map, he seems to be speculating things as he was still stuck in the Swan when the Purge happened. Though once Radzinsky killed himself, Kevin Inman finished it off. Who knows. I just accept that the Incident is what we saw because of the title of the episode.

EDIT: Just reading Lostpedia, http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Incident_%28event%29

It says that Kelvin Inman stated that during the construction of the Swan that Dharma drilled into the magnetic force so they had to build a way to disperse the energy.

The writers clearly hadn't thought about this nearly as much as we have - or if they did, they realised there was no way to tie everything together. The 'incident' throwing the main characters forward in time was just a deus ex machina.

The way I imagine it is that the bomb went off but somehow mingled with the EM charge which was building up at the same time, preventing either from doing much damage, but resulting in some kind of anomaly that needs 'discharging' every 108 minutes, or else something very bad will happen indeed.

The Dharma scientists fill the hole with concrete and find some kind of makeshift way of preventing the catastrophe, but realise they need to keep manually doing this 'discharge' thing.

So over the following weeks they build the Swan station around the site of the incident, eventually automating the discharge process and connecting it up to a computer. They decide that the discharging is too important to leave up to a computer, so they assign a couple of scientists to live down the hatch and do it manually, and create some kind of failsafe device which is a last-ditch might work/might not work solution to the EM anomaly if everything goes tits up.

I think that's probably it, Pob. Also, my error, in that the incident happened pre 1980 as that is the date on the film they watch when they first go down the hatch that tells of the incident.

Anyway, here's another thing: I watched the Lost recap thing that was aired just before the season 6 finale where it recapped the whole thing. One of the things it said was that the smoke monster was able to take the form of people who had died on the island or who's dead body was on the island. Which is fair enough, but how does that explain Ben's mum and Richard Alpert's wife? I was going to say Dave as well but I was never sure whether he was a figment of Hurley's imagination on the island like he was off it.

I was going to say Dave as well but I was never sure whether he was a figment of Hurley's imagination on the island like he was off it.

or an actual dead person, like what Hurley can talk to.

wasnt the island moved in season 5? so how did widmore etc find it in season 6? the whole widmore thing was a bit of a letdown to be honest, nothing was really explained about why he returned was there.

Jacob visited him. He told us.

Yeah Alpert's wife was seen by Hurley who does see dead people. I think Smokey can take the form of any dead person as long as he scans a person for memories.

Well that's a theory but not what was intimated in that Lost special. The MIB could assume the form of people dead on the island, hence why he could take the form of Yemi when confronting Eko, as he was dead in the plane. But Richard's wife, who visits him in the hold of the Black Rock and Ben's mum, who he sees when he first leaves the safety of the Dharma compound, are definitely not dead on the island. And it never scanned a young Ben to learn of her.

So if Locke was made mortal once the cork of the island was removed and that was all part of the plan, then what possible harm could he do to anyone once he got off the island anyway? What happened to all that "everything you know and love will cease to exist" shit? And he didn't kill Jack (the final Candidate) just before he was about to leave in his boat, so if all of that wasn't neseccary why didn't he just leave when he wanted to?

So if Locke was made mortal once the cork of the island was removed and that was all part of the plan...

I don't think it was part of the plan, as has been mentioned before he seemed surprised when Jack drew blood, and Jack said something like "looks like you were wrong too" when Locke looked surprised by the blood.

An additional idea that someone raised was that because recorking the island may have made him smokey again, it was necessary to kill him first.

Well that's a theory but not what was intimated in that Lost special. The MIB could assume the form of people dead on the island, hence why he could take the form of Yemi when confronting Eko, as he was dead in the plane. But Richard's wife, who visits him in the hold of the Black Rock and Ben's mum, who he sees when he first leaves the safety of the Dharma compound, are definitely not dead on the island. And it never scanned a young Ben to learn of her.

Smokey wasn't Richard's wife, that was really her spirit or some shit. Why would the MiB want Richard to start believing again? No idea on Ben's mom.

So if Locke was made mortal once the cork of the island was removed and that was all part of the plan, then what possible harm could he do to anyone once he got off the island anyway? What happened to all that "everything you know and love will cease to exist" shit? And he didn't kill Jack (the final Candidate) just before he was about to leave in his boat, so if all of that wasn't neseccary why didn't he just leave when he wanted to?

The island being destroyed was what was going to destroy the world, not MiB.

Smokey wasn't Richard's wife, that was really her spirit or some shit. Why would the MiB want Richard to start believing again?

When Hurley saw her it was her ghost, but when Richard first arrived he saw her too, and Smokey "killed" her, and the assumption is that it was smokey imitating her that time.

I don't think it was part of the plan, as has been mentioned before he seemed surprised when Jack drew blood, and Jack said something like "looks like you were wrong too" when Locke looked surprised by the blood.

An additional idea that someone raised was that because recorking the island may have made him smokey again, it was necessary to kill him first.

I think I said that. If they'd put the cork back in then he'd have become smokey again, and if he was off the island... Well, as I said elsewhere, would we really want an amoral, immortal smoke monster roaming the world doing whatever it wanted.

Something else I read elsewhere was to do with Jacob's analogy of the wine in the bottle and cork being the island keeping the evil in. The cork was unplugged and therefore the evil or whatever was let out. But if Jacob's wine analogy is anything like the real thing, you'd have a hard time putting the wine back in the bottle once you'd removed the cork...