The Velvet Underground Anyone?

Daedalus

No topic devoted to them yet! I think the John Cale-era Velvets ('The Velvet Underground and Nico' and 'White Light/White Heat') are perhaps in the company of Hendrix only in that vanishingly small category of rock music that forces you to ask 'where the fuck did that come from?' Stuff that's so impossibly other it's quite difficult to comprehend how it could possibly have come into creation... 'The Velvet Underground' and 'Loaded' are fairly wank, though.

No topic devoted to them yet! I think the John Cale-era Velvets ('The Velvet Underground and Nico' and 'White Light/White Heat') are perhaps in the company of Hendrix only in that vanishingly small category of rock music that forces you to ask 'where the fuck did that come from?' Stuff that's so impossibly other it's quite difficult to comprehend how it could possibly have come into creation... 'The Velvet Underground' and 'Loaded' are fairly wank, though.

the velvet underground were good, but john cale solo was better. massively overrated, imo.

they're amazing but they're congratulated too much. as far as New York bands go, Talking Heads were far more innovative and ahead of their time. i love White Light/White Heat and the Warhol album but i've probably listened to them far too much over the years.

:lol:

And this comes from a serious Talking Heads lover.

The two first VU albums are probably the most innovative and ahead of their time albums ever produced, in rock at least.

Just listen to what was going out these years.

Fear of Music and Remain in Light are probably two of the most innovative albums ever released. i'm a huge VU fan but even i think people wank over them too much sometimes.

i agree that VU were hugely influential but if we compare the two bands today it's clear that Talking Heads were dabbling in something far more complex. their music still sounds cutting edge. listen to something like Born Under Punches and it's astonishing to think this music is 20 years old. VU sound of their time.

Great, someone tries to start a positive topic to celebrate one of the seminal bands of the 60's and true pioneer of rock music and another person comes along to say 'but another totally unrelated band a much better'.

Can't you say something more positive Andy?

As far as I'm concerned VU layed the groundwork for a lot of modern music and opened up avenues to rock which didn't exist before they came along. Not only are they a very important influence, but their legacy still lives on still to be fully realised to the same extent by any other modern band. Certainly when it comes to the fusion of music, art, the avant-garde and popular acceptance, noone comes close.

Great, someone tries to start a positive topic to celebrate one of the seminal bands of the 60's and true pioneer of rock music and another person comes along to say 'but another totally unrelated band a much better'.

Can't you say something more positive Andy?

As far as I'm concerned VU layed the groundwork for a lot of modern music and opened up avenues to rock which didn't exist before they came along. Not only are they a very important influence, but their legacy still lives on still to be fully realised to the same extent by any other modern band. Certainly when it comes to the fusion of music, art, the avant-garde and popular acceptance, noone comes close.

all i'm saying is that we hear too much about how great The Velvet Underground were yet we overlook so many bands which are just good/influential. i mean how many times have they re-packaged the Warhol album? my ref to TH is that a) they're also a New York band of similar background B) they're early albums are criminally overlooked when they're probably up there in any serious music fan's top 10, if not top 5. and Loaded is a better album than White Light White Heat truith be told. pioneering it may well have been, but we weren't there first time round and now it just sounds like a mess. it's not one i return to that often.

chill out dude and talk music.

Lester Bangs - the Rev Stuart Campbell of rock critics, maybe - would have loved those forum. And this topic.

I probably prefer John Cale's solo work than Lou reed's. But I still think that Loaded is one of my most listened album ever.

And berlin is maybe the only album that stands in my desert island top three album since 15 years.

Twisted.

you really need to calm down. you ask me to say something positive yet you're the only one getting aggressive.

Andy, I don't and didn't appreciate your snide condescension that I should 'chill out and talk music' when in fact it was your misinterpretation of my original post that got got your knicker in a twist. I reserve the right at any time to 'get agressive' when someone insinuates I'm in this thread to make an argument.

So back on topic...

Yes, Cale was the finer musician, Reed the finer songwriter, The Raven is shit, HoboSapiens is great, and the finest thing both of them have done in 10 years is 'Songs for Drella'.

Andy, I don't and didn't appreciate your snide condescension that I should 'chill out and talk music' when in fact it was your misinterpretation of my original post that got got your knicker in a twist. I reserve the right at any time to 'get agressive' when someone insinuates I'm in this thread to make an argument.

So back on topic...

Yes, Cale was the finer musician, Reed the finer songwriter, The Raven is shit, HoboSapiens is great, and the finest thing both of them have done in 10 years is 'Songs for Drella'.

sorry but you don't reserve any right. your response was uncalled for as there was absolutely no malice in what i said. if it came across that way it wasn't intended.

The Raven is not shit.

It's worse.

Overall, I agree that Lou Reed is the best songwriter, but thinking about "A close watch" (on Music for a new Society) gives me the creeps.

...there was absolutely no malice in what i said. if it came across that way it wasn't intended.

I accept your apology. ;)

No point in getting into a slagging match over a band, that's something teenagers do. I apologise for my tone and will edit my post.

The Raven is not shit.

It's worse.

I'm all for pretention in music if it delivers the goods, but moments in that album just make me laugh at their pomposity, I'll admit there are a few rough gems but overall I think the project was a disaster.

• 1 year later...

Criminally, only recently purchased and heard Warhol for the first time but it is verging on an epiphany. To me it sounds completely relevant now lyrically, and I like the Krautrock style drone towards the end. Next White Light methinks

Criminally, only recently purchased and heard Warhol for the first time but it is verging on an epiphany. To me it sounds completely relevant now lyrically, and I like the Krautrock style drone towards the end. Next White Light methinks

I've never liked White Light/White Heat that much. Mind you I think the self titled third album is their best, so what do I know :angry: