Anime Film Recommendations

MeCCa

Hey, I have nothing against the medium itself. On a purely aesthetic level, it's fucking incredible. You won't find anything in live action to rival the likes of Akira, and as mentioned before, Grave of the Fireflies is probably the greatest anti-war film ever made. But in general, the strictly anime-esque anime - big robots, ninjas, schoolgirls - is a load of cliquey arse that people like to pretend is genius. Mostly, it's not.

I completely agree with you, idiot*. I've said before on these forums that I think most anime is a load of crap, but as in most things there are a few examples that are works of art, rivalling and sometimes surpassing their equivalents in live action.

I tried Evangelion, and I found it very tiresome indeed. That it mutates into an interesting show halfway through doesn't do much for viewers starting at the beginning.

*A sentence that reads very oddly, out of context.

I was just baffled by Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched three or four episodes and just gave up in frustration. I didn't have a clue what what happening. Some kid living with his sister that seems to be forcing him into mecha combat for some reason. Very peculiar indeed.

Most of the popular ones are dreadful. Gundam Wing is cringe-worthy. It's like every horrifying teen romantic comedy cliché compacted into twenty-odd minutes, times about a thousand episodes. Someone needs to be brought to justice for inflicting that on the world.

Some of the deaths were just gruesome as well

If you think that's bad, check out some of the stuff from other series:

• Gundam W - Septem, ejected from a plane by Lady Une, who then shoots him as he falls. Sadist.
  • Z Gundam - Camille's mother, sucked out into space after Jerid smashes the capsule she's in with his Hi-Zack. Scirocco impaled on the Zeta Gundam.
  • First Gundam - several instances of people suicide rushing Core Fighters into enemies. Mathilda and Woody both being swatted to pieces in their aircraft by Zeon MS.
  • Gundam 0080 - Bernie burnt alive by the Alex's beam saber.

Strictly speaking fo films....

Grave of the fireflies (usa)

Princess mononoke (usa/uk)

Laputa castle in the sky(usa/uk)

Kikis delivery service(usa/uk)

Spirited away(usa/uk (end of march))

Patlabor 1 + 2(usa/uk)

Memories(usa)

Junkers come home(usa)

theres a few....

You should definately check out Cowboy Bebop - I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.

They havn't released the series on DVD in this country yet but The Cowboy Bebop Movie is out and is pretty representative of TV series on the whole.

Incidentally I havn't seen Akira yet which is strange considering the amount of anime in my collection. The first anime I saw was a Ghost In The Shell/Perfect Blue double-bill around 4 years ago. Both also highly recommended.

I was just baffled by Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched three or four episodes and just gave up in frustration. I didn't have a clue what what happening. Some kid living with his sister that seems to be forcing him into mecha combat for some reason. Very peculiar indeed.

You obviously didn't watch it from the start, a lot more would've been explained

Auska isn't shinji's sister, shinji doesn't really know himself why he pilots the mech (running theme throughout the series) but it has to do with wanting to know his father and getting praise form him

I could on :D , my point is that forming an opinion of the series based a few mid-seires episodes with no prior knowledge is hardly fair!

I didn't say it was fair - I said I gave up in frustration. But...

it has to do with wanting to know his father and getting praise from him

... I now feel it's fair to stick it in the "cheesy shite" category along with Gundam Wing.

Seen all the recommendations then?

Yeah, pretty much. I also own all six Cowboy Bebop DVDs and the four Lain ones, in case you were wondering.

... I now feel it's fair to stick it in the "cheesy shite" category along with Gundam Wing.

Gundam Wing is just a rubbishy story-line that was made as an excuse for lots of fighting robots purely so bandai could sell their mech toys

Shinji's torment about his relationship with his father is hardly in the same catergory

Hear, hear!

I agree that a lot of anime is just bullshitty big-eyes fan-service fighting robot stuff, but Evangelion is not. Judging an entire series on a few episodes is nonsense, as the wise person above stated.

I would never have touched an anime series until they started showing EVA on Saiko-Exciting! Believe me, if you watch it all I can guarantee you will not have seen anything quite like it*

*which can be either a good thing or a bad thing.

I would recommend watching Akira and Ghost in the Shell just to give yourself a grounding. That is to say that when you watch some decent anime you'll realise how shit both those movies are. Don't stick purely to movies, watch series. My personal favourites are Trigun, Excel Saga and Hellsing. Movies wise you should really see Spirited Away, Metropolis, and Princess Mononoke. Though not everyone's cup of tea I also thoroughly enjoyed The Wings of Honneamise.

I seem to be the only one that mentioned Millennium Actress, has anyone else seen it yet?

If not you really should, especially if you enjoyed Satoshi Kon's previous film Perfect Blue. Although Millennium Actress isn't twisted like PB but it does have a similar structure.

I would recommend watching Akira and Ghost in the Shell just to give yourself a grounding. That is to say that when you watch some decent anime you'll realise how shit both those movies are. Don't stick purely to movies, watch series. My personal favourites are Trigun, Excel Saga and Hellsing. Movies wise you should really see Spirited Away, Metropolis, and Princess Mononoke. Though not everyone's cup of tea I also thoroughly enjoyed The Wings of Honneamise.

You liked... Hellsing?

Christ...

Have you seen ALL of it, yet? If not, just you wait, boyo.

One of my most hated of shows, that thing. Pulls you in with some stonkingly great shit, then after episode 7 (which was so bloody amazing), they throw dollops of rancid Gonzo poo at you.

Oh, and my recommendations to the thread starter - Macross Plus, Evangelion, Gundam SEED, Green Green (quiet in the back), and the almighty Cowboy Bebop. Oh, and LastEXILE. And... that magical shopping mall one. Errmm... and some others. Macross Zero. Brilliant, that.

All I can remember, so far.

Oops, forgot Scrapped Princess.

That doesn't count, it's not canon. ;p Anyone can make shit up. If I was feeling pedantic, I'd point out that none of the main characters don't have feelings for a character of the opposite gender as the series goes on.