Anime Film Recommendations

MeCCa

OMG TEH AKIRA!!!!!!11111 TIS TEH BESTEST!!!!!!!111

Ahem.

Most people are recommending shows with movies about them also. Movies tend to come out post-Series to satisfy fans and make some money. Unfortunatley they can be released beforehand through the series and movie coming out through different publishers.

Now! If you don't have the time or energy, keep to the isolated movie films. Granted, some of them spawned series' themsevles, but they weren't made in the overblown, compreseed, cliched light that movies ABOUT series' are.

And I love people, like Idiot here, who think all Anime is about mecha, schoolgirls and more mecha.

FIRSTLY, if you have the ability to produce something on a media that has no real limits, are you going to write about day to day happenings protrayed in soaps? May be that's what you're wanting though.

SECONDLY, you've obviously not spent three minutes doing some research. There are common traits with Anime: Love, Family and Friends. It's how these are packaged that makes the show.

Take the biggest [and yes, best] show currently being made, but unreleased in the Anime world- Naruto. Guns? Robots? Schoolgirls? Not a bit. It's all very old styled stuff, embracing the Ninja culture.

Then you have madder stuff. FLCL is about, well, a lad who gets 'infected' by certain creatures that he has to fight at the end of the episode. Which he's not very good at. Risky Safety is about the tales of an apprentice angel and apprentice 'soul taker' who live from the same body. Great stuff.

I could go on for ages, but I would suggest readdressing your stereotypical view.

Granted, there is a robot based Anime, and there are some good takes on the concept, but it's not really my cup o' char. As soon as I hear 'Gundam' I fall asleep. Seed or no seed.

I really want to see Boogiepop Phantom.

I don't think it's "fun" though.

I'm not a big fan of Akira, GITS is only decent in Stand Alone Complex.

Boogiepop is really dark and evil, but it's one of those shows that doesn't require noting down every plot layer as you watch it. Every episode has it's own little plot, which is the kind of stuff that suits me.

I'm not a big fan of Akira, GITS is only decent in Stand Alone Complex.

Boogiepop is really dark and evil, but it's one of those shows that doesn't require noting down every plot layer as you watch it. Every episode has it's own little plot, which is the kind of stuff that suits me.

Sounds ace.

I've been trying to show Gloomy Andy Lain, but we manage to watch about an episode every month, and he forgets what's going on.

A little "enclosed" thing sounds just what we need.

I like dark and evil just as much as fun.

I wanted to use "Excel" as a forum name, but chickened out because everybody would think of Microsft.

;)

Also try Kimagure Orange Road, Urusei Yatsura, Here is Greenwood & GS Mikami.

And The Cockpit for a different take on WW2.

Yeah I stopped watching Anime about 10 years ago.

I don't get Cowboy Bebop. I like the theme tune and I've watched all the episodes but I don't understand the appeal.

The Rourouni Kenshin (Samurai X) movies are amazing.. but maybe only if you've seen the series..?

I've seen the series, and I love it.

I found the movie I saw (Samauri X over here?) wasn't that great IMO.

A little duller, maybe. I did like the story though.

The plot is typical anime nonsense. A beautiful, bookish type working for some pointless government agency has to foil a bizarre conspiracy - if you've seen the Monty Python skit about the funniest joke in the world, you'll be familiar with the concept.

But the action is pretty cool; she controls paper, and makes huge aeroplanes and parachutes and stuff. It's great!

The Rourouni Kenshin (Samurai X) movies are amazing.. but maybe only if you've seen the series..?

The OAVs? They were great but I thought the movie was pretty low budget and tacky.

I'll put in some more support for Urusei Yatsura. The first movie is classic, like a a 50's MGM screwball comedy / musical re-write of Star Wars.

I really don't like Ninja Scroll. It represents all the things that put me off getting into anime in the first place. OTT fights and little else - I know many who love it though so, meh.

Someone said "The Animatrix" a few pages back and got seemingly ignored. The Animatrix is a great introduction because:-

A) It introduces you to quite a lot of differing styles of anime from a host of directors in nice short 10-15 chunks. No convoluted storyline and very accessible.

B) It has a nice history of anime feature which is pretty informative aswell.

Sure it isn't deep - after all what can you get across in 10 minutes - but if you want an nice gentle look at anime its perfect. Pretty cheap now aswell at under a tenner.

Haven't seen much but I really like Ninja Scroll (not deep but very fun), Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and some of the Animatrix episodes. In particular the Second Renaissance (part 1 and 2), Beyond and World Record.

ALSO im the only person to mention street fighter 2 :)

Actually SF2 is surprisingly good and has some of the best animated fight scenes I have seen. The story isnt bad either for a video game based movie. Not a patch on the live action version though. :lol:

No, mine damn you.

As soon as I learn Japanese...

(She looked so sweet in the video interview I watched [for Cowboy Bebop]. I didn't understand a word, but it was worth the watching... :))

..dont watch? :)

...its maybe the best anime-series drawings ive ever seen! :):o

It is? Erm. You've not been watching much Anime then, have you? It's all greasy action.

And you're missing the point.

He's watched them all, and liked the theme tune. The best part of Bebop is the soundtracks, he needs to get 'a downloading.

Guest Two Heavens

Ninja Scroll is cool. It's like a nice cheesy exploitative action flick that follows the basic pattern of: bad guy has way with female ninja - bad guy dies hard - repeat until done.

Anyway: Ghost in the Shell. I think it's great. It's got very little to do with the manga but it looks great, it has an intelligence all of its own, and it's got great action scenes. The fight with the tank is a classic. Not much to complain about there.

As for other anime films I watched the Escaflowne film a wee while ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it really requires a grounding in the series or not, but they do manage to get rid of the annoying characters and give it a darker edge. It looks fab too.

Ramble...ramble...ramble.

(Everyone should watch FLCL)

I can't really be bothered with anime in general any more. I guess you have to grow up and get snobby some time.