IGNORED

Apparently Sony Have Already Won

connerfitzgerald

Sony were publicly advertising for emulator programmers or something a bit back, so I think it's a gimme it won't be hardware powered backwards compatibility.

I can't see the PS3 faring badly. It may be a closer race than the last couple of times, but I'd guess at Sony coming away with the biggest seller again. It would take a fuck up of catastrophic proportions for it to go that wrong.

And as dumb as all companies may seem, they do learn as they go along. I'd expect them all to have at least attempted 'clever' marketing. ;)

Unless Microsoft or Nintendo can offer a platform that offers substantially more power than Ps3 then Sony will walk it.

In this generation the developers are happy, the retailers are happy and most importantly the buyers are happy, why then would they want to make the jump to another system?

Its clear that even though X-box and G-Cube are more powerful its only the hardcore who notice as the gap between them and Ps2 isn't clear/large enough.

To me Msoft and Nintendo need to offer an experience that can't be realized on Ps3 to get people interested.

To me the only way to do this is with graphics, think about it, if say Xbox2 or N5 had twice the power of Ps3 and it could be seen would that not get your attention?

You could then market against Sony's weakness (graphics) and make people curious, curious enough to check it out anyway.

I can't see any other reason bar a disaster that would make people leave Sony because lets face it, quality games don't sell hardware to the casual gamer.

Unless Microsoft or Nintendo can offer a platform that offers substantially more power than Ps3 then Sony will walk it.

In this generation the developers are happy, the retailers are happy and most importantly the buyers are happy, why then would they want to make the jump to another system?

Its clear that even though X-box and G-Cube are more powerful its only the hardcore who notice as the gap between them and Ps2 isn't clear/large enough.

To me Msoft and Nintendo need to offer an experience that can't be realized on Ps3 to get peoples interest.

To me the only way to do this is with graphics, think about it, if say Xbox2 or N5 had twice the power of Ps3 and it could be seen would that not get your attention?

You could then market against Sony's weakness (graphics) and make people curious, curious enough to check it out anyway.

I can't see any other reason bar a disaster that would make people leave Sony because lets face it, quality games don't sell hardware to the casual gamer.

but the n64 was noticibly more powerful than the ps1 and that didnt make any difference as the n64 wasnt cool enough

Guest Two Heavens
To me Msoft and Nintendo need to offer an experience that can't be realized on Ps3 to get people interested.

I'd imagine that's pretty much what Nintendo have been doing this generation, and I'm sure they'll continue with equal success during the next as well. I don't think Nintendo are really chasing the same money as Sony, and I can't see them suddenly turning round and trying to.

but the n64 was noticibly more powerful than the ps1 and that didnt make any difference as the n64 wasnt cool enough

True, the N64 was more powerful (If you knew how to squeeze it) but it only showed it in about 3 games, Mario, Zelda and Goldeneye and they did make a difference to hardware sales.

However, what about Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Toca, Colin McRae etc etc

The gap to me wasn't as big as you remember it.

Sony hasn't already won with the PS3. It's as simple as this - when the PS2 was launched, it had already won the hype war against the Dreamcast (which was great, but was too pricey and was released too early) and it had no other competitiors. People wanted a new console... and the PS2 was convieniantly there with a good advertising campaign, and artificial shortages to make it look like a "must have" item. People also recognised the Playstation brand, which helped. By the time the GC and the Xbox were out, the PS2 had already won.

This time Sony will have to be a lot more careful as everyone will have their console ready - all its competitors are ready to compete and are aware of how to hit Sony. They weren't before.

This time lots of people have become upset with the PS2s laser problem... a lot more people are annoyed with Sony this time than with the PSX and this produces negative publicity. Everyone knows someone with a b0rked PS2. This sounds insignificant, but a lot of annoyed consumers will deliberately avoid buying the next Playstation because of this.

Microsoft and Nintendo have already showed they are ready to equal Sony's tactics of trying to buy the next "must have" game as an exclusive. Both Microsoft and Nintendo will also have an aggressive price point as having a cheap console does equal more sales. With a destinct lack of first party titles (Ico, Amplitude and GT4 are the only ones that come to mind) Sony also heavily relies on buying in 3rd party titles, whereas both Microsoft and Nintendo do not to the same extent - Nintendo with it's traditional franchises and Microsoft with it's recent buyout of Rare, Bungie and the creation of stuff like Amped and Top Spin. If MS and Nintendo get both decent 3rd and 1st party support... well... it will be intresting how Sony will react to this if nothing else... I expect much crisis buying if this situation happens.

I don't think someone with a forum name of "halo" is going to give a particularly unbiased opinion on the whole thing really..

Like I said earlier.. Have you forgotten the whole "X-Box launch, immediate price drop, whoops, have a voucher!" thing? I haven't. Theres no way I'll be buying an X-Box 2 at launch.

Yeah, but Microsoft probably won't be launching a year late against an already-reduced console this time, so there probably won't be swift reductions. Given MS' sudden rise from hilarious zero-chance to tied for second with the industry's former giant (my stance on the MS/Nintendo thing, they've switched around enough times...), I wouldn't bet on the PS2 being such a certainty. It won't fail, but...

There's no way I'm buying any console at launch. I don't think I ever have.

Two reasons, really. The first being the stupid high price, the second being the shite launch titles. Each of the three current consoles weren't worth owning till at least a year after release. If not, quite a bit more.

PC will be enough while I wait!

What about Halo? :)

But what else was there? Can one game still warrant not waiting for the numerous rounds of price drops? Particularly when there'll still be so many good games to still check out from the generation that will have just ended

But what else was there? Can one game still warrant not waiting for the numerous rounds of price drops? Particularly when there'll still be so many good games to still check out from the generation that will have just ended

This one game could. Hell, one of my flatmates bought an XBox at launch, he's only ever used it for Halo and as a music store.

Starts with an H, ends with a lo...

Just talking from a personal view, really... Halo kinda sucked when I was comparing it to stuff like 64 player Battlefield 1942.

Not a real fan of console FPS. Even if I did like it, I wouldn't wanna own a console for just one game.

Indeed.

Monkey Ball & Luigi's Mansion on the GC too.

Sure, they all had one or maybe two good/OK games. But why buy it then for those one or two games when you can wait a year, get it £100 cheaper and have a handful of AAA games to play.

No rush, no rush!

As a Sony fan I'd say that Sony look set to dominate the next generartion.

Or are they?

I'm old enough to remember people saying that Nintendo would dominate forever.

And old enough to remember people saying the same thing about Atari. (Back when they made consoles.)

Sony to dominate? Probably. But I'm wise enough not to put money on it.

Sure, they all had one or maybe two good/OK games. But why buy it then for those one or two games when you can wait a year, get it £100 cheaper and have a handful of AAA games to play.

No rush, no rush!

1)Those are better than good/ok.

2)The damn console only cost £130 to start with.

Tight arses. :)

Each of the three current consoles weren't worth owning till at least a year after release.

Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Amped says... you wrong! Actually, at £300 it was too expensive, but it was down to £200 within a year if I remember corectly.

Within 2 months actually. :)

£200 within 2 months for a system with 5 great exclusive games? Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me :lol:

And I'm not that much of a fanboy (honest, despite this nick which I've been wearing for several years now), but the Xbox launch was really, really good if not the best launch ever.

No rush, no rush!

This man talks sense, you know.

However, 'buying later' is a strategy I haven't been able to employ for quite some time.

I'm so weak... :)