IGNORED

Music Doesn't Vanish You Know!

Davros sock drawer

The people at work do my head in. I was telling someone how much I like the Beatles, and one of the women in Payroll piped up "Hey? How can you be into them, you weren't even born in the '60s!".

For some reason, certain people seem to think that music has a use by date of 6 months after the song was written, and that after that date the music just evaporates so that no-one can ever discover it.

I get this whenever I mention an event from the past, as well. I dunno, I might say "Oh yeah, like the Munich olympics in 1972", to which they'll say "Ooh, I dunno, I wasn't born then".

NEITHER WAS I, YOU FUCKING NUMPTY!

most people aren't that into music though. i'm the same at work. there's probably only 2 or 3 out of hundreds i can have a proper conversation with (about music).

I can appreciate that, it was more this bizarre notion that you can only be into something, or know about something, that happened from when you were born onwards.

I guess most people don't care about the past.

Yeah but a lot of people move from band to band, depending what's trendy at the time. The Streets one month, then The Strokes, Dizzie Rascal etc.

It does my head in as well, but it's probably to do with whoever is on the cover of The Face that month or who who's being caned on Radio 1. For a lot of people, music is disposable, they're more into other stuff instead.

It's the old hardcore vs casual chestnut isn't it? There are plenty of people who like listening to music but it goes in one ear and out the other. It's not just kids trying to be trendy, it's also why local commercial radio is so popular - it just provides vaguely entertaining background noise.

Then you get those of us who are really into music. We search things out and make connections, as if we're on a quest to put the whole realm of music into a coherent perspective. That's how it seems to me sometimes at least. But most people are happy enough with their Lighthouse Family CDs (Miffed for one ;))

I know where you’re coming from with the bigger picture (being oblivious to history), but honestly, do you really care that some people treat music as you (possibly) treat watching television? I really don’t know anything about films, but really enjoyed ‘Lost in Translation’, as recommended in a film magazine. Am I a cunt too? ;)

Why?

Because they're just listening to what the latest trends tell them to. Following the herd.

I'm not against people listening to music on a casual basis at all. I object to the sort of trendy people described in Mr Monday's post, and I'm completely befuddled by the sort of people described in my initial post, who genuinely can't seem to understand how it is even possible, let alone desirable, to find out about stuff that happened before you were born.

I'm with Mike on this... I hate muical fashionistas as much as you Davros, but it's the same with all music or however 'hardcore' you might feel yourself to be.

Every so often a band or musician comes along, whether you are into D'n'B, Punk, Pop, whatever, and they just capture the imagination of everyone - just look at The Darkness. This is natural. People aren't into it 'cause they are told to, they're into it 'cause they truly enjoy it.*

*unless it's the Scissor Sisters, who are completely, completely shit.

It's the old hardcore vs casual chestnut isn't it? There are plenty of people who like listening to music but it goes in one ear and out the other. It's not just kids trying to be trendy, it's also why local commercial radio is so popular - it just provides vaguely entertaining background noise.

Then you get those of us who are really into music. We search things out and make connections, as if we're on a quest to put the whole realm of music into a coherent perspective. That's how it seems to me sometimes at least. But most people are happy enough with their Lighthouse Family CDs (Miffed for one :))

Hey! I tolerate them because they used to sooth my sunday hangover when I was a barman.

I like proper music! I have dead kennedys cd's and two NIN albums, I've been to see nick cave twice, once with the bad seeds and once just him and a piano that kylie turned up to and did where the wild roses grow with him. I've listened to whole tom waits albums and liked them, I laugh at people who think good charlotte are punk or limp bizkit are proper metal. I have a monster magnet picture disk where the vinyl is shaped like dave wyndorf's face. I'm proper bo hardcore damn you all.

:)

I listened to it this morning for the first time, and it sounded all right to me. Quite liked it, in fact.

I think the album overall was pretty strong, with a little room for improvement in some tracks on the back end of the album. I certainly think the first half or so is particulary better. My favourite tracks (i.e. most played) have got to be Laura, Take your Mama Out, Mary and Return to Oz.

I wasn't so keen on 'Tits on the Radio' at first, but it is getting better, so maybe some of the other tracks i'm not THAT keen on will improve. I've only had the CD for a week after all.

Is another track called Dirty/Beautiful? I'm not so keen on that either to be honest, but listen by listen it is improving.

A good album though in my estimation, but I can perfectly understand someone thinking they are shit, they seem a bit of a love/hate thing to me.

Every so often a band or musician comes along, whether you are into D'n'B, Punk, Pop, whatever, and they just capture the imagination of everyone - just look at The Darkness. This is natural. People aren't into it 'cause they are told to, they're into it 'cause they truly enjoy it.*

Feck off. I don't know anyone uncool enough to like the Darkness.