IGNORED

Scea Rejected Killer 7 And Viewtiful Joe

bomber

SCEA are idiots. Metal slug 3 was also rejected for some reason, now Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe.

I see SCEA's plan, reject the game so people go and buy the GC version instead and SCEA miss out on sales. Haha take that Nintendo! oh wait. :P

Didn't Capcom say they prefered developing for the cube and nintendo, maybe this was one reason why. I'm sure if Viewtiful joe and killer 7 were shown to microsoft the would snap them up in a instant.

ah well SCEA's lose...and America PS2 owners.

oh yeah, NOE are fucking gods compared to SCEA.

Sony Also hold grudges, look at Rockstar and Take 2, due to the whole GTA thing going to Xbox Take 2 have been finding it harder to get their game concepts approved or released, its happened with many other companies before and i could see it as being one of the reasons for capcom too.

Mhmmm makes sense. They reject a game because the lead character doesn't suit them and at the same time are more than happy to destroy Siren with an incredibly poor dub.

This is all very disappointing and sad really. Do Microsoft and Nintendo have a similar system where they can reject games on content? Or is it just SCEA?

Well, to be fair at that stage they were basically making a comment on the game which our publisher felt obliged to implement. The system is very unfair because it doesn't actually look at quality objectively. My game came out and scored better than Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, which did get a US release, one can only assume on the strength of its license presumably guaranteeing media coverage and sales. A publisher with more clout can carry more weight and, while not bypassing SCEA's quality control - I'm sure there were arguments aplenty and that many people inside SCEA were unhappy it came out - but ultimately there's no other reason why such a poor game as T3 should have earned a US release while another was rejected. Those double standards can be frustrating but this is the real world.

Some os SCEAs requirements benefit the player - demanding 60FPS for third generation racing games was not unreasonable, they have to match the competition - but it's a far from perfect system.

Some os SCEAs requirements benefit the player - demanding 60FPS for third generation racing games was not unreasonable, they have to match the competition - but it's a far from perfect system.

Well the key word is 'benefit'. I'm all for quality control to avoid the market being flooded with shite games but this system only works if the people who make the decisions actually care about games. As soon as politics become part of the equation everyting goes tits up. Nobody 'benefits' when games like Gregory Horror, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 are kept from consumers.

This is a very very dangerous development and could lead to further stagnation of the video game market.

Quite stomach churning to think of games like "Viewtiful Joe" being barred from release for such ridiculously aloof reasons. SCEA want to be careful rocking the boat with Rockstar and Capcom, as with the next generation approaching, Sony need to convince developers that another Sony led generation will be in most developers interest.

Well the key word is 'benefit'. I'm all for quality control to avoid the market being flooded with shite games but this system only works if the people who make the decisions actually care about games. As soon as politics become part of the equation everyting goes tits up. Nobody 'benefits' when games like Gregory Horror, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 are kept from consumers.

This is a very very dangerous development and could lead to further stagnation of the video game market.

Like I've said before, the next round of consoles is going to be very interesting. I had an interview at Sony a while back and was told they're aware of the fact that they have to look after the best developers very carefully and that these super powerful consoles are going to have massive big budget launch titles which could unfairly set the bar too high for all but the big players. God knows what conclusion they'll reach as a company as to how they'll deal with that, but Sony-produced middleware wasn't ruled out.

I don't think its just that SCEA just don't like the look of these games. Is part of it not that both these games have or are being designed for the Gamecube, and then ported over to PS2, probably resulting in a poorer version.

Why bother allowing a couple of games that will probably not be huge sellers on that system, but could damage the Sony brand, as it would be yet another example of their customers coming of worse than another console owner.

( I am saying this from's a Sony business perspective, I appreciate that their customers may just want to play good games).

I know that when a game comes out on Gamecube and XBOX, I almost always get it on Xbox, because of Graphics,Sound, no memory card issues and sometimes price (POP in Game). The only thing that sways me to the Gamecube is the controller.

Although prior to submission to SCEA we were very worried, and all the advice we had at the time indicated that there could be a high chance of the game being rejected. Which would have killed it completely.

We went a long time without a publisher with Pillage, and you can't do a submission without a publisher, but every publisher wanted to know that SCEA had approved the game before they would consider it - which became a bit of a catch 22.

We had another game at the time which was almost complete without a publisher (for complicated reasons), which seemed a much safer bet to be approved. It surprised us all a little when SCEA enthusiasticaly approved Pillage, but rejected the other game.

Now the other game will never be released.

Was that the one I played? That was bloody gorgeous, man.

I don't think its just that SCEA just don't like the look of these games. Is part of it not that both these games have or are being designed for the Gamecube, and then ported over to PS2, probably resulting in a poorer version.

Doesn't explain why Gregory Horror Show was rejected - also a very stylised game by Capcom.

Like I've said before, the next round of consoles is going to be very interesting. I had an interview at Sony a while back and was told they're aware of the fact that they have to look after the best developers very carefully and that these super powerful consoles are going to have massive big budget launch titles which could unfairly set the bar too high for all but the big players. God knows what conclusion they'll reach as a company as to how they'll deal with that, but Sony-produced middleware wasn't ruled out.

I was thinking this as well. Sony's market dominance is (in my opinion) primarily because most games get released on their console. If they start rejecting games and pissing people off, then that may not be the case next generation. Of course, the fact that EA will probably never have a game rejected will likely ensure that they're on board with Sony, which may force other developers to follow suit. :P

oh well SCEA's lose...and America PS2 owners.

oh yeah, NOE are fucking gods compared to SCEA.

Makes it kind of lucky that they let Disgaea through, as otherwise nobody english-speaking would be able to play it properly :P

Who knows, maybe SCEE did a SCEA ? 'We can't sell this, Legaia 2, Shadow Hearts and to a lesser extent FFX all sold like poop!"

I really hope it does come out though, for other people to enjoy, hope it gets SOME sort of advertising. I chipped my PS2 for it in part, silly me :P

Going back to Ste's comments on page 1 of the thread - are we allowed to know any details on this game that's been binned? or is there some kind of gagging order (sorry - don't really know what else to call it) by Sony on software that they feel doesn't make the grade?

not being nosey. just... intrigued, i suppose.

As long as SCEE approves

Ah, that's the thing, see, SCEE can't reject a game on the basis of content, under EU law, they're not allowed to. Once a publisher has a license to publish games for a system, the system owner can only approve/reject games based on bugs/quality issues. Which explains why Europe sometimes gets stuff like Gregory Horror show, or some of the weird budget japanese games that show up every once in a while.

Going back to Ste's comments on page 1 of the thread - are we allowed to know any details on this game that's been binned? or is there some kind of gagging order (sorry - don't really know what else to call it) by Sony on software that they feel doesn't make the grade?

not being nosey. just... intrigued, i suppose.

Rgraves got it right. But it wasn't with the publisher on the label (as that publisher didn't pay us).

What right do sony have giving a legend like SF th reed card? A series that was doing the rounds when gaming was just a glint in their eye.

Fucking latecomers. (rant also includes M$) :(

It's because it's 2D. Sony don't do 2D.

Hmm, that's pretty stupid. One of the reasons PS2 is popular with 'h4rdc0r3' gamers is the huge amount of quirky, offbeat and arty games. By banning them from your system, you have less choice so less happy customers. Especially when it comes to high-quality games like Viewtiful Joe, which definitely is one of the finest games of last year. I found it refreshing, surprising and stylish. More than can be said of about 90% of the drivel released on any platform.