A Lovely Psone Thing Happened Today

pancho

Occasionally these things pop up and its good to be able to share the experience with people who understand. Walked into elephant and castle shopping centre today to relive old student days (i used to live in borough). Noticed a shiny new games store there so popped in for a look round.

Glanced up and down the psone section (as I always do in these situations) in the hope of seeing a rare bargain. For once (and about the first time only for me where pal ps is concerned) I got lucky. A shiny copy of suikoden 1 gleaming away. Price? £5.99. :wtf?: Grabbed it and noticed the case was slightly cracked at the bottom. As a laugh I asked the guy if he could give me a couple of quid off (:)). He shakes his head and motions to the rack behind, "I've got a nearly new one back there". "I'll take both then" says I and walk out the shop with two copies of one of the ps1s rarest titles for a tenner. One to keep and play and one to pass on :D

It was the one where the bloody used to appear from the people when you killed them. With those archers.

You had to attack a castle later in the game. (which was side-on)

(thinks)

On no. The was Vandal hearts. Wasn't that the name in the UK?

Or another game completely?

Konami's PS strategy RPG was Vandal Hearts, which is in itself pretty rare (and a very good game, also). Its sequel is also quite rare, and is stupidly-implemented gash.

Suikoden is the normal console RPG one, and it is hugely ace. Its sequel is perhaps even more rare, and is generally accepted by Joe Q. Public to be even hugely acer, although I prefer the first, because it is better, so nyer to Joe Q. Public.

(I have them all in mint condition, natch. Disperse from the rarity zone, peons!)

I find it really funny that there are still shop owners that dont know such rareties... Fools !

Let's not complain!! :P

My local Game has, sadly, turned from a great PSOne plundering ground to a waste of time.

I went in there the other day and they had Pandemonium for £29.97 with the word 'RARE!!' written on the price label. Oh dear. They had some others like that as well...Bubsy3D was one of them though :)

Thankfully the local 'dodgy' second hand shop is as good as ever. Got Warhammer Dark Omen and Borken Sword II on PS in a 2 for a fiver deal. B)

What is it about RPG's and rarity eh? Do they have a more fervent completist fanbase than every other genre or something?

Time and again on eBay, any RPG with a limited PAL production run seems to fetch a hefty price.

rpgs endure like other titles don't tend to (see snes rarity lists). A driving game will generally be more fun the more realistic the graphics but a good story remains a good story whatever generation the hardware. Rpg fans (at least those who would spend c. £90 on a six to ten year old title) are a lot less bothered with graphics than most gamers.

I doubt I'd get £90 at the moment for a suikoden on ebay. Its the wrong time of year for astronomically priced retro sales...

I found Suikoden 1 + 2 and Star ocean 2 all in the one shop, My local indie.THis was a couple of years ago.I got the lot for £40 and made quite a bit more when i sold them on.

Edit= Oh and i found xenogears there a few months ago for £20 mint condition.

I found Suikoden 1 + 2 and Star ocean 2 all in the one shop, My local indie.THis was a couple of years ago.I got the lot for £40 and made quite a bit more when i sold them on.

Edit= Oh and i found xenogears there a few months ago for £20 mint condition.

you CAAAHHHNNNTTT!

I first borrowed Xenogears from a friend... then about a year ago somebody was selling their unboxed copy on the Edge forums for £20 - I jumped at it, but the discs were so scratched they wouldn't get past 20 hours in :P

I hate you Kaisu.

I still check pre-owned bins religiously in the hope of one day running into Radiant Silvergun. Or that really rare European version of that Neo Geo fighting game...

Euro kizuna encounter? One sold recently for over $10, 000. To find that in a bargain bin would be distilled irony.

you CAAAHHHNNNTTT!

I first borrowed Xenogears from a friend... then about a year ago somebody was selling their unboxed copy on the Edge forums for £20 - I jumped at it, but the discs were so scratched they wouldn't get past 20 hours in :)

I hate you Kaisu.

http://www.thatzdvd.com/disc_repair.asp any use to you? A bit pricey, but even so... My local Another World store does it for about 3 quid a disk as well.

there are 3 shops that still stock a good selection of ps1 games in nottingham. i still go to all three every time im in town in the hope of finding star ocean 2 at an affordable price. its like my holy grain, i cant afford to pay out £40+ for it but i do really want to play it again ,my only experience with it having been a brief rental play.

id fucking kill for a decently priced copy of that :(