F-zero Gx Vs Super Monkey Ball

Teeohbee.

F-Zero GX was very well recieved by the media when it was released, getting high scores in reviews and a lot of praise. It also got some comments about its difficulty, being that it was an incredibly hard.

F-Zero GX was also a game i was eagerly awaiting, having been a fan of it since the SNES original, and it being one of my favourite nintendo franchises, When i first got my hands on F-Zero GX i was very impressed, Sega and Amusement Vision had done a very good job of giving the series a graphical sprucing, the super monkey ball engine was really put to good use in the graphics department.

It was a a real mix of styles, with certain aspects screaming nintendo and others screaming Sega. So, first impressions were good, and then i started playing...

Now i had read reviews, i didnt buy the game blindly i knew it was known to be extremely hard and i thought i was prepared for that having completed all previous F-Zero games, however it turned out i was wrong, as it seemd that reviews failed to mention that the whole game dynamic had been changed too.

Now this is where SMB comes in, to me personally i find SMB has a very set gameplay dynamic, you play the extremely hard levels to complete them and get satisfaction from this, often this seemingly requires no skill and is complete fluke. I mean completing a very tough SMB level is often near impossible to replicate, and is in no way fun to replicate. I think this aspect has been incoperated into F-Zero in its Grand Prix mode slightly but especially into story mode. I have no desire what so ever to replay any of the missions ive completed, having been through hell already to complete them (im on mission 7, on normal for anyone who's interested).

Anyway i know im rambling on now, but i hope some of you get what i mean. IMHO F-Zero GX is the biggest disapointment on GC, partly because i count myself as a huge fan and was looking forward to it so much. Im not being a crybaby because i cant do it (ive completed all the cups on expert and like i said on level 7 of story mode normal) but i just cannot see how fun can be gained from the game. Instead of satisfaction after completing races (eventually) i feel relief, a sort of "ive been through hell and i never want to do that ever again" relief. And then to learn that theres Hard and Extra Hard story mode just beggars belief.

So, am i missing something? Should i just go back to playing Pokemon? What do you think of AV's take on the F-Zero name? And does anyone agree/disagree with me about the implementation of SMB gameplay dynamics in the game?

Sorry for talking too long, i really wish i loved the game but theres just too many things holding it back. :)

For me I'd say F-Zero GX Grand Prix mode was perfect. I really enjoyed it, and found it challenging without being fustrating.

The story mode was a great idea, but the difficulty level on levels even on the easy setting was absurd. In my opinion all that was need to sort that area out was for someone to go back and adjust the difficulty levels on the story mode.

Still the best racer of this generation in my opinion, bloody class game despite a few faults.

I agree with 7084 exactly - I have just completely given up trying to play F-Zero. I loved Super Monkey Ball mind but at least on that I could get through the ten beginner tracks, the 30 (expert?) tracks and about 5 of the advanced tracks before I hit the I'mfuckedificangetanyfurther wall. With F-Zero I felt like I was absolutely at that point pretty soon after starting.

*raises hand*

Another one who gave up.

Could probably go back and cope with Grand Prix but Story was stupid IMO.

Even in GP there are points in a race where it's just totally random. You crash or don't crash but it's not in your hands.

Good game but a bit too hardcore.

Even in GP there are points in a race where it's just totally random. You crash or don't crash but it's not in your hands.

Bollocks.

There isn't a single track that if you crash or blow up that's caused by a random event, it's your fault if you crash not the courses.

Bollocks.

There isn't a single track that if you crash or blow up that's caused by a random event, it's your fault if you crash not the courses.

Don't bollocks me bumbag :) .

So, you're on a thin, winding piece of track with thirty twitchy 'AI' racers around you and they never once bash into you without a single care or thought and smash you into the side of the course? You've got a different game to me then.

Bollocks.

I've had plenty of times when I've crashed and been totally unable to stop it from happening. There are plenty of times when you simply don't see something coming or you get hit from behind and just fall to your death.

Sure, knowing the tracks makes it easier to predict these in advance, but when it just.... happens... and there's nothing you can do about it, well, it can be infuriating.

Yes, Sprite and Duderanch, I find this too! I got utterly flamed when I said it when this game came out though :) The track with the underground vocano is the worst for this, there's an extremely thin loop the loop and if there's more than 2 people on it at the same time you get bumped off and crash.. what am I meant to do, wait at it like traffic lights? :P

Sorry for talking too long, i really wish i loved the game but theres just too many things holding it back.  :)

Crybaby... :P

Seriously though, I've found that the ship you use makes a huge difference in GP mode. After assembling a great custom ship, I have almost unlocked the AX tracks without too much effort.

Story mode on the other hand. :) Think I'm on level 3 or something...

In difficulty terms, I'd put it alongside the original and harder than the N64 game but I wouldn't say it was too bad (certain story mode bits excepted). What I did find unforgivable was that AV somehow managed to suck all the fun out of the series - it was one of the most tedious and disappointing games I played all year. I played the previous games to completion - and then some - but gave up on this one after 2 or 3 weeks as it did nothing for me whatsoever. A real shame.

7084 - I tried so hard to argue with your initial post. I really did. But in the end I realised that you're right.

I've had the game since it's us release and i've played it a handful of times. To me, the game was fantastic for a few weeks, and then rapidly loses it's novelty factor - leaving a flawed experience.

It's great in multiplayer - but again, only for a while.

you play the extremely hard levels to complete them and get satisfaction from this, often this seemingly requires no skill and is complete fluke. I mean completing a very tough SMB level is often near impossible to replicate, and is in no way fun to replicate.

I disagree with that bit.

I gave up on FZero's story mode on stage 3 though :)

The first SMB has no luck in it at all. It's all skill and all under your control. There is an argument that some of the levels with moving parts have a tiny element outside of the player's hands but the really god, hard, challenging tracks - Expert Level 7 for example - involve no luck at at all.

The first SMB has no luck in it at all. It's all skill and all under your control. There is an argument that some of the levels with moving parts have a tiny element outside of the player's hands but the really god, hard, challenging tracks - Expert Level 7 for example - involve no luck at at all.

Ok, i understand where your coming from and my argument isnt that SMB is a completely fluke driven game. What im saying is that the core gameplay mechanic for F-Zero has been changed. The focus has changed from the racing experience itself, imo it is now more focused on actually completing the races/story levels on a challenge basis, if you understand me.

So glad I didn't buy this now. It would sit in my games cupboard, and whisper to me in the night; "You can't beat meeeee..." and "I'm too hardcooore for youuu....".

Like "Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga" does. :)

Hmm.. well I've not managed to get any further than normal mode GP or past level 3 of story mode, but I don't consider the game to have 'beaten me' at all. I enjoyed every second of it (apart from one or two frustrating bits).

Actually, I think it's an excellent game - breathtaking, even. However they seriously fecked up with the effort/reward ratio insomuch as having a finite number of lives which deplete more through more rigorous racing which actually prevents overall progress, whereas the opposite is true of racing more timidly.

F-Zero GX is the finest arcade racer of the current generation. Burnout 2 is also one of my faves, but for different reasons.

I finished Master Mode and Very Hard Story Mode in a couple of weeks, and it'll go down as one of my finest gaming moments.

"So, you're on a thin, winding piece of track with thirty twitchy 'AI' racers around you and they never once bash into you without a single care or thought and smash you into the side of the course? You've got a different game to me then."

GX is not random at all. You clearly need to think about a strategy to your racing, rather than expecting the other craft to get out of your way, or go around you. It is a contact racer, after all.

For example, in the situation you describe you could: 1) Spin attack through the thin section, to take out a number of craft. 2) Think about your position in the pack, in relation to your location on the track.

I understand people find it hard, and are not going to complete Master Mode or some of the Story Modes, but it has a balanced and superbly designed difficulty curve. That's why they include different levels (Novice, Standard etc.). Just because you cannot beat Master Mode, doesn't mean the game or you are a failure. It just means Expert, or whatever, is your current achievement level.

Lightning: Thunder Road - surely one of the greatest racing tracks ever devised?

K.