IGNORED

Final Fantasy Vi

kaisu

I consider myself to a bit of an rpg fanatic, I've played couneless 60hr rpg's and had lots of fun whilst doing so.It seems though that i can't bring myself to play FFVI.I have this feeling that i'll be hugely dissapointed, And i have no idea why.

It's been called the best rpg ever by an awful lot of people but is it really.

I prefer 7. the job classes thing in 6 is, uh, classy, but the I thought the materia system was better, and 7's storyline is far superior. Mind you I haven't played 8 or 9 very much, i hear some people rate 8 very highly. got about half way through it then lost interest.

For those who fancy playing through this again, have a go at a low level game, it is great fun.

I have an FAQ over on gamefaqs on this very topic, it is possible to complete the game with most of your characters at level 6 and 7!

I was playing the emulated PS1 version, and I couldn't beat the first boss on the mountain.

Apparently I had to do some special move thing. Five tries later I gave up. Any advice?

The PS1 version is horrible.I played a little earlier on, It takes an age to load up the menu.Is it worth playing through it just to watch the FMV's?

Unless you have a SNES, or a good emulation/ROM/joypad combo. Just make sure you do play it. The menu load time is terrible though, yeah :/

The FMV's dont add anything to the game.

The menu load time is terrible though, yeah :/

As is the battle load time. And with a lot of battles it's fucking annoying. Tedious, grind you into the ground, I want to burn myself with hot pokers I'm so angry, annoying.

Played it for hours on emulation though. And it is great. Except that like all FF games there is an absolute shitload of puzzles/items that are completely unsolvable without a FAQ because there are NO FUCKING CLUES in the game. None.

I've seen this about and dont what it means, can anyone tell me?

It's meaning is that the statement it follows is invariably correct, although it is meant in such a manner as to mock the poster themselves, due to making them sound like a moronic fanboy.

Oh shit, I took the bait; hook, line and sinker. :)

I also gave up on the PS version. I am now going to embark upon FF3 on the chipped Xbox, however is there a fan translation of FF6 instead? I always hear of bad translation jobs, so perhaps some clever fans have done a better job themselves?

Ooh, what a coincidence. I've been playing this through on my chipped Xbox. I think i'm right at the end now, but I shan't spoil anything. I generally enjoy the pace of the game compared to other FF. As soon as it hit 3D, battles started to take an age. I appreciate the way they kick in instantly, where as on the PSX/PS2 you have to wait for the musical intro, and camera to whizz around for a while. :)

FFVI makes you realise how many characters/plots/sequences have been recycled/slightly altered and put into subsequent Final Fantasies. It's quite interesting.

"the job classes thing in 6 is, uh, classy, but the I thought the materia system was better"

Um, i'm pretty sure VI doesn't have job classes. Perhaps you're thinking of another one?

Yeah, V is the one with the jobs. I got to the end having trained up completely inappropriate jobs, and was faced with the prospect of levelling up for endless hours just to setup my party right for the end boss. Needless to say, my save game remains at the last save point in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I started playing this through on my Xbox recently, the main thing I noticed is that it's much easier than I remembered.

I found that with Locke in my party, I could get five tents and a few thousand gil every fight from the Imperial Base (the one you get kicked out of after battle).

Spell learning is also really easy thanks to the Intangir on the triangle island. Just make sure someone in your party has learned Doom for an instant kill and 10 Magic Points.

Also I don't remember Setzer's slot thing being so easy. I can get a winning combination 99% of the time.

Difficulty issues aside, I still think it's brilliant and the only offline FF game I really got in to.

I prefer FFVII and, frankly, - although I think FFVI is a great RPG - I rate a lot of others more highly.

I think it's the order one plays games in. At least it is for me. When I got to playing FFVI, I'd played a fair few RPGs and none of it seemed very new, apart from the hilarious script and some sections mixing puzzles and random battles were incredibly painful. Plus, I've come to realise that some genres do frustrate me and I shouldn't pretend they don't!

Play it though, it's a classic and the plot is ace!