rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Space Renegade Ulala

Batman Begins

What was your problem with it?

A good start with a good potential Batman, then it was spoiled by: paper thin characters, particularly unconvincing being Holmes' DA and the crime boss, whatever his name was; leaden dialogue from all, made worse in the case of Bales by an increasingly raspy voice; one of the most tedious 'action' finales I've ever seen, which was characterised by the bit where they send the scarecrow out on a horse - pointless, pretty much. In the film's defense, Caine was okay.

Keaton IS Batman.

WAS more like. He couldnt play him now a days. Batman needed updating and Bale did a pretty good job.

Just had a little Nolan trilogy binge. I hadn't watched this for well over a decade. I remember realising it was pretty special when I first watched it but hot damn did I enjoy my rewatch. I really hope the new Pattinson Batman goes for a similar vibe as this is how I like my superhero movies.

Had a blast with the whole trilogy.

• Upvote 1

The Nolan movies are those ones where you notice more and more little pieces of world building on repeated viewing.

Commercially Begins didn't set the world on fire, certainly not the level of the next two.

Given the modern day realism they were going for, I did find the plot of poisoning the water supply a bit silly.

Between late February and early March I rented out each of the trilogy on Prime as I'd never seen any of them (notes are here here and here.) I was worried that the films would try way too hard to be grimdark and edgy but they were all nicely balanced out with some absurdity in places. I liked Begins a little more than TDK, but TDK had a better central villain. :) 

That being said... even though "grimdark edgy" Batman works, I still don't mind "animated series and 60s TV show" Batman!

Begins is my favourite Nolan Batman outing, the suit is also one of my favs. 

I still get chills watching the bit where Gordon think he's fucked, stuck on Arkham island when the bridges are raised and then VOOOOM! The fucking Batmobile jumps the gap. 

• Upvote 4

I had a few moments of the chills with all three. I think watching it on a 65" screen with the surround turned up in UHD may have accentuated those moments though tbh. I remember being all chuffed watching Begins on my fairly new 32" Samsung LCD via DVD around 2006. Think last time I watched was on a 42" plasma.

And yes I know the cinema trumps everything but I rarely go these days.

Wonder what I'll be watching it on in another ten years*

*If I'm still kicking that is.

4 hours ago, amc said:

I remember being all chuffed watching Begins on my fairly new 32" Samsung LCD via DVD around 2006. Think last time I watched was on a 42" plasma.

Ha. The first time I watched TDK after the cinema was on UMD. For half an hour anyway, until I got a refund. :lol:

I'm a big fan of Batman and Nolan's trilogy although DKR was quite shite on the whole although I..pathetically teared up like a child when Batman on his bike revved through the underground in Gotham after X years of hiding.

• Upvote 1

Begins is the best Batman movie ever, it's up there as one of my favourite movies ever, Bale was amazing as Batman in this, i think Dark Knight was amazing as well, but Rises was pretty crap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Begins is the best Batman movie ever, it's up there as one of my favourite movies ever, Bale was amazing as Batman in this, i think Dark Knight was amazing as well, but Rises was pretty crap.

Totally agree with this. I remember the Xmas day we all sat down to rewatch dkr. And all three watching fell asleep. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Totally agree with this. I remember the Xmas day we all sat down to rewatch dkr. And all three watching fell asleep. 

I've only ever watched Rises once to be honest and I'm as big a batman fan as you will find.

On 16/03/2020 at 14:21, John Edward Gammell said:

It amuses me that Hardy's portrayal of Bane has carried across to other iterations of the character, and purely for comedic purposes. 

His vocal performance my favourite thing about the film.

• Upvote 2

Dark Knight rises (and definitely TDK) maintain proper detail and aspect ratio is preserved for the 70mm IMAX scenes, and they incredible. As close as you'll get to seeing it in a IMAX, unless they re-release it for 8k I guess.

Indicentally, I can do a fairly decent impression of Hardy's Bane (so I'm told) :D

Tom's Banevoice rivals Damian as the greatest contribution to the Batman universe/canon in the last 30 years. I'm so glad the recent Harley Quinn series decided to lead with it.

"I got a Razzy-Zazzy for 'Bang'?"

"It's 'Bane'! You know it's Bane, I'm here every day, Todd! Goddamn millennials..."

"Whatever, Bang."

image.thumb.png.c9c68feab8a893e8f483776790d06342.png

• Upvote 2

On 18/03/2020 at 17:34, IcEBuRN said:

Dark Knight rises (and definitely TDK) maintain proper detail and aspect ratio is preserved for the 70mm IMAX scenes, and they incredible. As close as you'll get to seeing it in a IMAX, unless they re-release it for 8k I guess.

Indicentally, I can do a fairly decent impression of Hardy's Bane (so I'm told) :D

Tbh there's a lot of focus issues with DKR. Imax has its limitations and I feel Nolan uses it at times simply becuase he can't see passed it. 

On 14/03/2020 at 15:15, drmick said:

The Nolan movies are those ones where you notice more and more little pieces of world building on repeated viewing.

Commercially Begins didn't set the world on fire, certainly not the level of the next two.

Given the modern day realism they were going for, I did find the plot of poisoning the water supply a bit silly.

Yes this has been proven impossible recently in America. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Yes this has been proven impossible recently in America. 

I'm not following- was there some sort of attempt?

Pfft, Flint's fine, Matt-  it's perfectly normal for water to have a reddish tinge and be flammable out of the tap.

I read an amazing load of bollocks by a bunch of Americans mad at the idea their fuck awful filthy tap water doesn't pass European standards, incredulously wondering why anyone would drink spring water. Even better, they were almost outraged when they found out the UK rejected Coke's attempt to flog tap water in bottles some years back.

Anyway, if nothing else, poisoning the Gotham water supply is a scheme in one of the Joker's earliest appearances in a Batman comic, so it's completely keeping in Batman history or whatever to use it as a plot point.

1 hour ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Pfft, Flint's fine, Matt-  it's perfectly normal for water to have a reddish tinge and be flammable out of the tap.

I read an amazing load of bollocks by a bunch of Americans mad at the idea their fuck awful filthy tap water doesn't pass European standards, incredulously wondering why anyone would drink spring water. Even better, they were almost outraged when they found out the UK rejected Coke's attempt to flog tap water in bottles some years back.

Anyway, if nothing else, poisoning the Gotham water supply is a scheme in one of the Joker's earliest appearances in a Batman comic, so it's completely keeping in Batman history or whatever to use it as a plot point.

it gets a nice little  at the end of batman begins too.

except it seems I imagined it?

maybe it was the end of the animated year one or something?

“This guy was planning to poison the water supply however with the heightened scrutiny following this week’s other water supply poisoning by Ra’s Al Gul it didn’t really work.”

• Upvote 1

54B1BE54-FB7F-4C5D-886C-DC7496F76E7A.jpeg.442ef93c488c99bf48c80c67812e837f.jpeg

“I call on the citizens of Gotham with a message: will everybody PLEASE stop trying to fuck with the water supply! It’s not the water you want or need, it’s the water you deserve”

• Upvote 1

I was also referring to the reasoning for poisoning the water supply,  for what it's worth.....

10 hours ago, SeanR said:

54B1BE54-FB7F-4C5D-886C-DC7496F76E7A.jpeg.442ef93c488c99bf48c80c67812e837f.jpeg

“I call on the citizens of Gotham with a message: will everybody PLEASE stop trying to fuck with the water supply! It’s not the water you want or need, it’s the water you deserve”

"And quit stockpiling bog roll and flour, you fucking cretins!"

• Upvote 1