This is football 2004 - PS2 online

ryanski

The box says up to 4 vs 4 online. The previous games have been poor enough, so I'm hoping to rent this tomorrow to see what it plays like online. It should work well as it isn't from EA. If there's any sort of gameplay there it could be great with so many players able to play together at once. In the meantime, if anyone else gets a chance to play it let me know your thoughts please.

For anyone interested - the player likenesses, squads + kits have been updated. The gameplay from what I can tell has barely been touched since TIF 2003. So it's still crap. In it's defense, the online game works nearly perfectly. It starts every time unlike EA's effort, it's very competitive, the only downside being that in a game that is a bit laggy, there can be like a second delay on your button presses to what happens on screen, very off putting.

I can't believe it took them 18 months just to add an online mode.

I can't believe it took them 18 months just to add an online mode.

Have you tried working with Sony's online code (or rather, lack of online code)? 18 months is totally understandable.

Complete lack of developer-support by Sony for implementing on-line features. SCE-RT my ass. SHI-TE more like it.

It's no surprise Microsoft are winning the online battle with Live. They give you everythig you need to get your game online.

Sorry, going through a lot of probs right now trying to get our game on-line for PS2....

Sorry, going through a lot of probs right now trying to get our game on-line for PS2....

Had fun all today with PS2 online :unsure:

PS2 Online is just a mess, Xbox Live is well structured and a breeze in comparison.

Back to the topic, TIF2004 is dire. The frontend and getting online is actually better than many other PS2's attempts (when the servers hold up) but the actual gameplay is so far behind PES3 its not even worth touching it. Avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing TIF2004 online a bit over the weekend, and it's generally very good. The in-game action is only a snatch slower when played online, so that's nice enough. Unless you're a godless heathen who doesn't like TiF at all, of course, but then what would you be doing in this thread, you buffoon?

There are few niggles, mostly more to do with human nature than any actual game-related misgivings. There's a worrying amount of people (presumably spoilt twelve-year-old children), who'll quit the match as soon as you open up a three-goal lead on them (thus ensuring the result doesn't get recorded in their stats file, although this does deliver a blow to their 'karma' rating. And you can always blacklist them afterwards. My tip: only take part in matches with people who have a 90+ karmic rating). Also, at any given time it seems 70% of online players will only 'be' Real Madrid, the wusses. My preferred teams: Liverpool, Sao Paulo and Inter (the latter because they've got the proper shirts with sponsors, which looks nice).

Another minor niggle: about one game in twelve seems to result in a 'bad connection' match, where the players stutter around the pitch like bad stop-frame-claymation-from-the-former-Soviet-Union. As a result, one of the players will need to quit, and therefore cause damage to their carefully maintained Karma rating, so it'd be a boon if no damage were incurred if the match is abandoned at 0-0.

It's a bit annoying that there's no option to take part in an online tournament, as only exhibition matches are available, but I'm not sure how such a thing could really be co-ordinated - you'd need to have, say, 32 people ready for the first round, all of whom would need to be willing to stay until the end of the 'cup', which is unlikely to happen.

The online code may well be modifiable at SCEE's end, as I'd heard reports about away kits not working properly at first, although that now seems to be fixed. It'd be nice if they could do something about scumbag quitters, or at least make the latest score stand as a result (or failing that, arrange the firebombing of quitters' houses).

Hopefully, if a few people here get online with TiF, we should set up an RLLMUK private room. That'd be nice.

The ability for one to three friends to come to your house, and letting you all team up in co-op mode against other people online, without having to set up any user accounts or anything, is excellent. On Sunday, a chum and myself teamed up with another pair of players to take control of Arsenal, facing a Real Madrid side controlled by another team of three players. In a thrilling match, the Gooners won 3-1, with a stunning opener from Henry banged in from outside the area controlled by myself (although I had a bit of a 'stinker' after that).

In such circumstances, the game takes on a whole new 'feel' as human controlled players each look for spaces to exploit, human controlled defenders try to plug gaps and leave other areas exposed, drawing out defenders near the box can be more profitable, and so on. It's much more like playing real football, with the obstacles such as our own physical limitations and dogshit strewn pitches not present, and THAT's why TiF2004 is the dog's.

Do you see, EA? That's how to do online football.