Prog Rock: Porcupine Tree Return!

Robo_1

Did we know that Pallas seem to have called it a day?  Very quiet announcement on facebook, and that was about it.  Graeme Murray the bass player is looking to put out a solo album sometime but that seems to be that.

Been struggling a little with prog lately if I'm honest.  Probably because I've played so much of it I'm overly familiar with most of it.  Been giving Karnataka a bit of a blast lately with their secrets of angels live cd but that's about.  When I get like this I usually delve off into side genres such as synth/instrumental stuff or slightly harder/shorter aor stuff to freshen it up a bit.

That said did find an awesome youtube user who puts up some great mixes.  Name of Progrockdock.com.   Does everything from 2 hour mixes to 8 hour ones!

5 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Did we know that Pallas seem to have called it a day?  Very quiet announcement on facebook, and that was about it.  Graeme Murray the bass player is looking to put out a solo album sometime but that seems to be that.

That's a real shame. Pallas were one of the first prog bands I discovered as a teenager :(

Speaking of Pallas, I'll be going to see Abel Ganz in Dec. They are reprising their Prog Before Christmas charity gig from last year at the Drygate Brewery in Glasgow. Should be a great night :D 

https://www.drygate.com/whats-on/events/the-prog-before-christmas-2018

40279315_2240764222632379_7869265450830397440_o.thumb.jpg.3d1d14326f841b4c3cba3cc153adadd5.jpg

6 hours ago, Hawklord said:

That's a real shame. Pallas were one of the first prog bands I discovered as a teenager :(

Speaking of Pallas, I'll be going to see Abel Ganz in Dec. They are reprising their Prog Before Christmas charity gig from last year at the Drygate Brewery in Glasgow. Should be a great night :D 

https://www.drygate.com/whats-on/events/the-prog-before-christmas-2018

40279315_2240764222632379_7869265450830397440_o.thumb.jpg.3d1d14326f841b4c3cba3cc153adadd5.jpg

Lucky you.  Galahad are very good (and very under-rated!) live.

On 22/09/2018 at 22:31, davidcotton said:

Wow, hadn't seen that. Sad to see one of the greats call it a day, but their last album was pretty awful. You could hear that they cheaped out on production as it all sounded pretty tinny. Sadly  Murray is living in lala land if he thinks he'll raise 1k a month for his solo album, I hope he has a good plan b! Ironically enough, Alan Reed has gone out and recorded two pretty good solo albums, certainly worth checking out if you're into Pallas.

Did anyone see Nick Mason's 'new' band Saucerful of Secrets playing early Pink Floyd stuff on their tour which just finished? Selections from everything up to and including Meddle (so more psychedelia or space rock than prog, perhaps). Saw them in Glasgow last night. Really startlingly good band, some of the stuff they played hasn't been played in 50 years (Vegetable Man FFS!) and felt surprisingly raw and fresh, as if it was 1969 somehow. you wouldn't think this was a band of former session musicians or guys whose famous bands have  been broken up for decades in their 50s to 70s topping up their pensions, and they don't really feel like a tribute band at all, which was what I had feared. Much more of a weird, freaky garage band-type of ambiance than the overblown arena rock of Waters and Gilmour's acts.

Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet on guitar and lead vocals, which absolutely should not work but really does, he sings the Syd Barrett songs like Bike with a bit of a cockney punk type feel. Really enjoyed it (pity the venue is all-seater, definitely would prefer to see them in a standing venue but then the majority of their audience is old codgers).

I think the 10+ minute version of set the controls for the heart of the sun they did blew out part of my brain.

• 9 months later...
On 23/07/2019 at 16:06, Horribleman said:

It's metal but it's also prog. Brilliant.

Ooh, is this new Soen? (Can't listen atm). Their first album has been a favourite and regular play for me for years now. For some reason their later albums didn't click the same, but glad to see they're still putting stuff out, I need something new to latch onto. Last prog album that really sunk its teeth into me in a big bad way was Riverside's Wasteland. 

Been discovering more "new" stuff on bandcamp this week.  My wallets hiding in the corner as I don't (or can't at work anyway) do streaming.

The Gift, Eyevory (little corny, but just can't resist dual female vocals along with flute as well), Galahads last album which I never did get round to buying at the time, and seems appropriate for the time, Magic Pie and so on.  Just as well as my current collection is feeling a little worn out right now so it's good to get some fresher stuff on there.

• 9 months later...

Been on a Yes binge after waking early, had a boss mad dream that sent me reaching for my headphones straight after waking up for some reason. Man, I fucking loved them so much back in my 80s mushroom phase. Listening to Wurm on modern cans has given me flashbacks, I'm only on the coffee these days mind. Brilliant.

Time for Tormato.

• 1 year later...
On 27/07/2019 at 08:34, Lovelyman said:

I think their new album is excellent

Their latest one (Imperial) is just as good IMO. For the first few months with it, I didn't think it quite lived up to Lotus but over time I keep finding new things to love about it. I think I've rediscovered each track multiple times. Deceiver is probably the most immediate track, but there really isn't a bad track on the album.

The new Frost* album was released last week and on first listen, it sounds like something very special, more of a focus on classic instruments to my ear, but they've retained that over produced (but it works) sound which is typical Frost*:

What else have prog heads been listening to? Can't wait to get back to see. few live shows. Still one of my favourite prog shows was Transataltic at the Ancienne Belgique. A five song set and they played for over two hours. :lol:

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/05/2022 at 19:52, Hawklord said:

Alan White, long time drummer with Yes has passed away

https://www.loudersound.com/news/yes-drummer-alan-white-dead-at-72

Been a huge fan of Yes for over 40 years and been fortunate to see them live in various incarnations/line-ups :( 

Yes, I saw that. Terrible loss to music and of course, the prog scene in particular. He wasn't a showy drummer but he was the backbone of the band. I've been watching a few Yes shows on YouTube recently and it's hard to overstate the influence they had on progressive movement. Awaken remains my favourite track:

Posting here for no reason other than to share my current love of old prog (perhaps metal more than rock...) favourite Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche.

Basically, I was at a car boot sale a week or 2 ago.  I've been buying CDs as my work from home setup has my CD player right next to it, and I've always loved listening to albums in their entirety, in order.

I discovered Operation: Mindcrime years ago, and, well, stole it (mp3) and have loved it ever since.

Anyway, I saw someone selling the CD at the car boot, I think I paid £1.  They even commented it was their favourite album as I picked it up (do people do sales patter on £1 CDs at a boot sale?!).

It sounds so crisp and refreshing compared to my mp3 copy, I expect it'll be spinning in my little machine for some time to come yet. ❤️

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 13:38, Corranga said:

Posting here for no reason other than to share my current love of old prog (perhaps metal more than rock...) favourite Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche.

Basically, I was at a car boot sale a week or 2 ago.  I've been buying CDs as my work from home setup has my CD player right next to it, and I've always loved listening to albums in their entirety, in order.

I discovered Operation: Mindcrime years ago, and, well, stole it (mp3) and have loved it ever since.

Anyway, I saw someone selling the CD at the car boot, I think I paid £1.  They even commented it was their favourite album as I picked it up (do people do sales patter on £1 CDs at a boot sale?!).

It sounds so crisp and refreshing compared to my mp3 copy, I expect it'll be spinning in my little machine for some time to come yet. ❤️

Operation Mindcrime remains one of the best metal albums and best concept albums ever made. It's one of the few albums I never get tired of. I love the band in general but that one album so eclipses everything else they ever made, it was a real lightening strike moment. Eyes Of A Stranger is such a dramatic finale. The album clips along at such a relentless pace, anthem follows anthem and then suddenly you'll get something dark and broody like Suite Sister Mary. Listened to it every day back at Uni, must have seen them live nearly a dozen times over the years. Great, great band.

In other prog news.... today sees the return of Porcupine Tree! Their new album Closure / Continuation is out today and it's sounding suitably interesting. After a few listens, it's clear this is a Porcupine Tree album and not an extension to Steven Wilson's solo career. Honestly, it's hard to make a judgement on it after only a few listens. There's nothing on there which has grabbed me as quickly as tracks from Deadwing, In Absentia or Fear Of A Blank Planet did, but it has this power and pull which is drawing me back again and again, so that usually bodes well that Wilson has weaved his magic. So far, the standout track is Chimera's Wreck, again, it's not grabbed me as much as say something like Anaesthetize, but there's something deeply compelling about it:

Herd Culling is the standout for me so far. The various advance tracks never really grabbed me but the whole album is quite compelling. And as a bass player myself I’m really liking how the songs are largely grounded in the basslines (and apparently written that way). The bass is recorded really nicely as well, which often gets a bit overlooked. I have the vinyl here, looking forward to a listen later.